A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Texas Barn with a Fun Twist  (Read 3911 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smatty7
« on: May 27, 2010 09:06:50 PM »

Yay! We have finally finished our family project!  After Hurricane Ike did a number on our barn, we decided to replace it with a new one.  The ideas started flowing:  large porch, gameroom, craftroom, bunkroom...oh yeah, and we did still need a barn for the tractors, 4 wheelers and such.  We had a new 40' x 60' metal barn with a 20' x 40' covered porch extension built.  We carefully planned out our space and ended up using half of the barn for our "finished" rooms.  The results...

The Gameroom: 20' x 30' with 13' tall walls and a 16' cathedral ceiling:

All of the interior walls were built with rough-sawn 1" x 4" lumber.  The ceilings in each room were done in tin.  I absolutely hate throwing away anything!  I used some of our scrap lumber to make this tattered Texas Flag:

The Bunkroom is for our overnight guests.  The room features family antiques ranging from the bed and quilt, to my grandfather's leather holster.  I used a scrap piece of the tin ceiling to make the Texas Flag for the wall.

The Bathroom really turned out nice.  Although the room dimensions are small 10' x 6', the 10' tall ceilings give the room a much larger feel.  The tin walls on the shower and the tin ceiling really brighten up the space.  Because the shower was not a standard size, I made the Shower Curtain (and the clear liner) to fit.  Probably the items that get the most comments are the bucket sink, and hand-pump faucet.  Yes, it is functional!

I have already posted about the craftroom in another thread.  So, I won't repeat here.
The only room I don't have pictures of is my Brother and Sis-in-Law's bedroom/retreat.  They live about 100 miles from us, "in the big city"  Wink  So, the last room is their "home-away-from-home".  It really turned out nice!  I'll have to get some pictures posted of that one, soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010 11:41:17 PM »

ok, can I come and live in your barn?
How seriously awesome is this?
I'm going to show this to my DH when he gets home from work, awesome!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010 03:14:23 AM »

Wow! I'm not really into the whole western/barn motif, but I would be if I had somewhere like that! LOL Looks beautiful! Very well thought out as well.

BTW: Love the wooden tattered flag and the sink  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
mommys little badass

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010 05:58:43 AM »

Beautiful! I'd love to see the rest of the barn/porch too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010 06:57:37 AM »

Very cool! I LOVE the wall treatment and your awesomely creative flags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
6craftycats
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010 07:12:52 AM »

WOW!! I want to live there lol. L-O-V-E the tattered wooden flag! That blew me away! What a great job on everything Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smatty7
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010 07:32:38 AM »

Thanks so much for the kind words, yall! Smiley  It really turned out well, I think.  We worked on it about a year.  But, that's just weekends, vacations, holidays...

Kristy, I'm not usually a fan of the whole "theme" decor either.  And, even though I'm a 6th generation Texan I really don't normally like all the "Texas/Country/Rustic" schtick.  But, in this space it's perfect.  And, it really happened quite by accident.  The land where we live has been in the family since the days of The Republic of Texas...a LONG time.  We are lucky to have quite a few items that have been "on the place" for all these generations.  Because the walls are wood, and sooo tall, we can hang anything we want, where we want.  We decided to use this space to display all the old family photos and memorabilia.  We wanted to bring out all the antiques, instead of keeping them in closets.  We also wanted to tell the history of the place.  So, this was the perfect place to do it!  I'm still in the process of getting old photos framed, and gathering up different items to display.

Mommys,  I'll try to get pictures of the rest of the place up, soon.  The porch is awesome!  We have tables and enough seating for 20+ people.  Our holiday gatherings usually have at least that many guests.  It will be sooo nice for everyone to be able to sit down and eat together, at one table!  Luckily, the weather in Southeast Texas usually allows for comfortable outdoor dining.  But, if it's too cold, (highly unlikely) we can just move the tables and chairs into the heated gameroom.  We've already enjoyed quite a few Bar B Ques, and domino games, on the porch.

Here's a link to my other thread showing the craftroom pictures:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=339461.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010 07:40:39 AM »

Mighty handsome hangout, ma'am!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010 07:53:25 AM »

This has got to be the coolest barn in Texas! I love your folk art flags.

I featured this thread on Craftster's Facebook page today. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010 08:06:47 AM »

Wow - just wow! That decor wouldn't be my taste either but it's perfect for the space. I love the bathroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Venkat Ramaswamy and Francis Gouillart Talk About The Power of Co-Creation
The Last Invisible Boy Book Trailer
Sean Covey Talks About The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
The Playbook Book Trailer
Chad Orzel Talks About How to Teach Physics to Your Dog
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...