A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twofold re: size markers  (Read 1762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

Good girls are bad girls who haven't been caught!

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2010 10:14:29 PM »

I volunteer at a free clothing depot and really feel the need to organize. It is not a great feeling to see people who really need something have to waste time searching through the wrong areas. (Yes, I help them but they sometimes put things back in the wrong spot when they can't find the correct section again.)

My question is twofold. What can I use (REUSE) to create new ones and what can I use these old ones for? I would like to make all new ones so they are uniform and well...PRETTY. Smiley

I am sitting here, looking at my old license, thinking it is the right shape and texture, but too short and too personal. Who wants to see my mug on a clothing rack?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music."
curiocait
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010 10:17:10 PM »

hmmm.
Well there are some really cool gift card designs out there.
Would old gift cards work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jen.i.fuhr

Milo Likes Lettuce!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010 11:19:15 PM »

if you just need something the size of a standard credit card (I assume that's what you mean by license) I have a LOT of starbucks gift cards that I could mail to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

interested in personal swaps, because I am totally broke and cannot feed my paper addiction. help me!
looking for someone to knit/crochet something for me, and someone to make some jewelry for me. I can offer mostly paper related crafts, but I'm sure I'll find something to your liking. PM me!
hyper_azn_girl
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010 02:26:41 AM »

Yeah you could collect those free fake credit card things they send you in the mail or old gift cards. In another thread on craftster, someone was talking about how they went to starbucks and asked for gift cards and the person handed her a huge stack of them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
habitat-lady
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010 04:27:45 AM »

Some stores have round dividers, maybe old CD's or plastic container lids would work. 

If you want them rectangular shaped, see if you can find an old plastic vertical blind like from a sliding glass door.  They cut with a dremel or strong shears.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
sum1smuma
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010 04:51:07 AM »

If you hit a last resort...ask at your local department store or  Walmart. Often large stores toss useful items and like to help a good cause. You might consider attaching a sign to an old plastic hanger so it is large enough and sits high enough to be easily spotted. Good luck and good karma for helping others!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
Ivy Cross
You can't attack that target.

Invalid Target, I need to get closer, Out of range

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010 05:19:21 AM »

For what it's worth, .....I did something like this on a much smaller scale for my kids when the became fond of rearranging and organizing their own closets by color. What I did was take 2 5x7 index cards, write or print out the color name glue it on the index cards and run it through my cheapo laminater. The double index provided enough support so the would not get bent, and the lamination added protection and durability. I made the cards over 3 years ago and since added to the collection as the colors in the wardrobe change, and also add things like "Play Clothes" , School Clothes".  The great thing about this you can have as little as or as much as you want, with a 5x7 card you can cut them to fit, and they would all be the same style and our color, you can even print off pictures like of pants, shirts, or w/e to add by the Lg, Med, or Sm size tag. I understand not everyone has a laminater, but I got mine off of e-bay for 5 bucks and a boat load of the plastics for free, also I think Stables offers it for a reasonable price per sheet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

/Dance   /2 [Ironforge Trade] : WTB More Glitter
/Y [Yell]: MORE GLITTER MORE GLITTER
Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010 06:04:12 AM »

Wow, what a treat to log on and have responses! Goes great with coffee.

Thank you so much for the offer of the gift cards. I think it would be the same as my license, which will be too short.

I will try out the laminated index card idea and let you know how that goes. Thanks ladies!

Now, as for the old ones, methinks I have a decoration/abstract art gift to make for Little Brother's wedding gift. Muahahaha! (He loves my work.  Grin )

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010 10:28:25 AM »

Ivy Cross- I agree with your idea for kid's closests. Such a huge help to label kid's clothes, my dd was grown out of so many clothes by time I found stuff in the back of her closet. These would make a great baby shower present if you changed it to common baby sizes, and decorated them a little bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Novismom
Just Don't Call Me Ma'am

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010 08:15:28 PM »

Just found out that they are having a baby, too! Wedding has been planned for MONTHS, much to our parents' relief, so I am not in gift-making hell. Still plenty of time for making gifts for the second blessed event.

I like your ideas, girls. I will use the old dividers for their baby's closet along with creating homemade baskets from cardboard and fabric to create shelves...their apartment is not ideal for storing baby stuff.

Oooooh, and maybe I'll hang some baby clothes on an old clothesline across their apartment instead of traditional streamers at the shower. I am SO excited! (Can ya tell??) I used to change HIS diapers, so I can't get over the fact that he's top be a daddy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Lightbox and Thumbnail View
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Adobe Bridge
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Text Effects
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Create a Dramatic Sky and Crop the Image
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Sharpen the Focus
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...