A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bleaching Patterned Fabric?  (Read 1696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Xiphoid Process
« on: May 26, 2010 07:22:50 PM »

I hope this is in the right place, if not, mods please feel free to move it.

I will try to make this simple.

I have this generic polyester (and I think cotton) print fabric. The print is cute but the colours are very bright. Would it be possible to fade the pattern using bleach, perhaps diluted? I've never worked with bleach before so I'm just curious if this would theoretically work. I have plenty of the material so I don't mind trying it out but I don't want to like...burn a hole in anything. I'm very lost so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xiphoid Process: Custom Clothing and Accessories
http://sites.google.com/site/indigoxiphoid
annaloves
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010 09:02:33 AM »

I would dilute it and just try it with little squares of fabric and test it until you get one you like. I just bleached on of my shirts the other day and was reminded how quickly bleach works. My shirt went from yellowing to WHITE in like two minutes so watch your bleach, don't leave it unattended haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010 09:43:39 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, bleach does terrible things to artificial fibres. Try sun bleaching on a swatch. You soak the fabric in water with some lemon juice, squeeze out the excess and lay it on grass in the sunshine. I read somewhere that laying on grass accelerates the process, but hanging it on a clothesline should still help to tone down the colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010 10:10:20 AM »

It's possible the fabric itself might fade with either bleaching or in the sun, but the print might remain.  This might have the effect you want, or maybe not.  Definitely test swatches if you care at all about the fabric.

I think what I would do is layer the fabric with something sheer.  If it's woven, maybe some organza, chiffon, or cotton voile.  If it's knit, maybe a stretch mesh.  That could great a really cool effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010 03:43:10 AM »

How much fading can also depend on the type of dye used in addition to the fibre content. I know you said polyester with cotton, but how much of each? If it's high polyester you'll have much different results than if it's high in cotton.

And yes, bleach damages fabric. It'll eat cotton and turn polyesters pink. Nylon turns pink, too, I believe. If you go the bleach route, dilute with water, mix thoroughly, and then add the fabric. And watch very closely.

I would definitely do a swatch test, as mentioned above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010 08:14:31 AM »

Maybe take a look over here:
- discussions about dyeing. Also, remember when you are working w/bleach, you need to neutralize the fabric (remove the bleach) or the bleach will continue to do its stuff & dissolve your fabric (found out the hard way) & you'll have unusable fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Field Sketching Essentials
How to Use Gouache in your Art
How to Choose a Sketching Pencil
Applying Tonal Shading
How to Use Pastels
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...