A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheting Magazines  (Read 9346 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2005 06:49:44 AM »

I'm getting a job for the summer, and on my long list of things to buy is a subscription to a crocheting magazine. Can anybody recommend one that has a variety of patterns? (no tea cozies, if you get the idea)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linbtl
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005 08:15:00 AM »

I don't have an answer for you, but I'd love to hear what everyone has to say. I've been cruising craft/yarn stores big and small in search of a crocheting mag that I'd like, and I haven't had much luck. The only thing that's mildly caught my interest is the crochet issue of Interweave Knits, and that doesn't come out until September.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my artsy-craftsy blog:
http://linbtl.livejournal.com/
MorningtonCrescent
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005 09:00:27 AM »

As far as I can tell, if you're looking for really up to date patterns, you're better off saving your money for your yarn stash and finding patterns online. Once in a while Crochet! magazine will have a winner of a pattern, but more often it's things like doilies and wraps that you can find anywhere. I've been pretty disappointed with the patterns in most crochet magazines that I've seen, but if anyone's found a good mag (aside from Interweave Knits...once a year just isn't enough!), I'd love to know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005 02:48:42 PM »

I have to agree with you both.  I've described my experience of searching for a good crochet magazine as "under-whelming."  When I started my business venture, I was frustrated because there weren't things out there that I liked.  Perhaps a nice pattern here and there in some magazine, but not enough to actually buy a copy, let alone a subscription.  Recently I bought a Crochet! magazine (my market research) expecting to see more updated patterns, but again, more doilies.  "Why are magazines still printing this stuff?" I wondered.  No doilies.  No tea cozies.  No horrid-looking fashions my grand mother wouldn't wear. 

After looking at the list of editors for all the major crochet magazines and comparing that list to that from the CGOA, I now better understand why these magazines are the way they are.  The higher-ups in the CGOA are all the same people who run the magazines, and they are all older, I must say, and like those type of things, despite Crochet! mag. having the most updated looking cover.  It's a facade.  Turn the pages and it looks no different than it did years ago.

Honostly, I think you're better off searching for things on Crochetme.com if you're looking for more updated patterns in a magazine-style setting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catbastard
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005 03:44:56 PM »

I agree with everyone's general dismay with the state of crochet magazines.  If you want doilies or sweaters that look as stiff as a board, they're for you.  Interweave Crochet has some good, fun patterns, but it only comes out once a year.  Easy Knitting & Crochet has some good patterns, as well.  But what I generally do is find vintage patterns (50's-70's -- because everything old is new again) and work them in modern colors.  For example, I'm making a shrug from a 1955 issue of Smart Crochet magazine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005 03:47:26 PM »

That's a good idea.  Probably if I were jsut doing patterns for pleasure, I might take that approach.  And I agree with you on Interweave Press.  The crochet edition they did was really nice, but once a year just doesn't cut it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005 08:35:12 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just go out and buy the Interweave's crochet edition once a year.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005 01:03:55 AM »

I was on the Interweave website yesterday and you can pre-order the crochet issue. They don't bill you until it's shipped but it'll be shipped to you as soon as it's ready. You can find the link in the knitting section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005 04:26:58 AM »

I think most all of the crochet magazines are crap.
I have submitted stuff to Annie's publications numerous times and was turned down - and when I see what they had published instead it makes my stomach sick... hence self publishing is the way of the future.

The only magazine I really tolerate is quick and easy crochet.  It seems to have the best mix of stuff. 

Crochet fantasy might as well be called Crochet sweaters.  they did just get bought by the same people who do InKnitters but there again it is almost all sweaters.

Annies Favorite Crochet really tried to break the Grandma syndrom but I stopped getting them last year.  I had gotten the magazine for a year and didn't find a single pattern I wanted to make.

Crochet World is a tolerable magazine - barely..  I am not renewing that one either.

You know I hate to say it but most of the patterns I find online really arent' that much better which is why I just am now designing my own stuff to suit my needs.  If you find a pattern it is usually so poorly written that it is impossible to follow.. then if it is written okay you get to the end and it don't look a damn thing like their picture.. most people just don't know how to write a pattern anymore..

My advice.. go to your second hand stores... they usually all have patterns out when they are donated.. and they do get donated... just flip through the pages and make sure all the pages are there - a lot of people rip out what they want to keep, put it in a binder and get rid of the magazine.  You will probably enjoy the hunt for the pattern - pick up some great goodies along the way (I just picked up a huge huge huge bag of yarn with about 14 skeins of patons softee and a few balls of a silk/wool blend made in Italy and all sorts of other yarns in it - must have weighed 10 pounds! for $10... yippie!  and about 3 weeks ago I picked up a ziplock baggie full of about 45 crochet hooks for under $2!)
You will find some awesome patterns in the old magazines.. and you can update them easily with little adjustments or just a change of yarn!

Go on a search.. if you don't see crochet/knit leaflets - look somewhere else - some places put them with the books.  some with the magazines.. some in the craft department... and if they don't carry them go to another second hand store until you find them.. a lot of used book stores also carry them.. and they usually sell them for next to nothign as well..

hunt... and dont' forget to look at the used purses for cool wooden handles and rings that you can use for handles for your own stuff instead of buying them for $4 each at Walmart!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
GeekMagnet
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005 08:57:55 AM »

I wanted a crochet mag for awhile now and have come to the same conclusion- once a year specials and the way to go.  I like the one put out by better homes and garden at the end of the year.  It has updated patterns.  I have been lucky enougth that my mom saved a good collection of her old Workbasket mags.  They're from the 70's and 80's but i have made a few patterns from them.  They only have 1-4 crochet patterns in each one, the rest being knit, tatting, quilting etc.  but there is usually at least one that can be updated with different yarn.  Besides, i dont think most people follow any pattern word for word very much anyway. 

I made a sweater jacket thing from one of the issues by making what they called a 'Parka' longer.  super easy and it turned out very nice. 

So if you see one at a thrift store or what not, pick it up and leaf through it, (they're readers digest size.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 4/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Butterfly
How to Crochet a Pansy Flower
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...