A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tasty dinners: Beetroot tart and 'Mexican' pasta.  (Read 505 times)
Tags for this thread: tart , beet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shinypinkbubbles
« on: May 26, 2010 02:59:23 AM »

Hi everyone! I'm going to treat this as a first post, as although I did post once when I originally joined Craftster (six years ago!), due to an excess of crazy in my life at that time, I had to abandon the site (and basically the internet in general) for quite some time.
Ahem. So, my name is Lauren. And now we move on...

So, after eating out a lot this weekend (so many restaurants, so little time!) this week I have felt the strain on both my budget and my waistline, and decided to use up some of the food in my pantry and refrigerator instead of going grocery shopping.

First dinner I made was a beetroot tart, which became a free-form tart after I realised I don't own a pie dish (I am a university student and keep most of my cooking supplies in boxes under my dorm-room bed, so this shouldn't have been a surprise to me). It came out of the oven looking very pretty, but I felt that it was missing something flavour-wise.

I made it with puff-pastry, layers of roasted pumpkin, sweet potato and beetroot, and an egg/fetta mix. Any suggestions to improve this one would be appreciated- I still have plenty of beets and I'm sure that there must be something I can do with them other than preserving them in vinegar!

Second dinner (tonight's option) was a Mexican-chili-style pasta with canned tomatoes, kidney beans, Sanitarium casserole mince (which is basically TVP with a gravy of sorts- looks sort of like cat food but cooks up very nicely), some fresh corn and grated carrot, a package of salsa, some powdered chili and a bunch of random herbs. Yummy comfort food!

xx Lauren.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012 07:05:01 AM by MissingWillow - Reason: Revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010 08:12:22 PM »

Like the pasta idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
Avian Flight
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010 11:43:19 AM »

both look great! i've never had beets and i got some from my CSA. i plan on roasting them this time but if i like the taste, i might have to try your tart out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prepare Broccoli for Chinese food
Prepare Bok Choy for Chinese food
How to store cooking oil for later use
Basic Preparation and Stir-fry Methods for Cooking
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...