A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Pouf/Floor Cushion Thing  (Read 5711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: May 26, 2010 02:35:53 AM »

I've been wanting some poufs for my living room only just forever. I love the look of these Urchin Poufs and this diy pattern is fantastic, but I decided not to spend anything on this project. So in a fit of stash busting and recycling, I made some tee shirt yarn (and a tutorial) and I grabbed a ton of old clothes and scraps for stuffing and I made myself a nice crocheted pouf. I'm usually more of a knitter, but this yarn is a bear to knit with - I broke 2 sets of circulars on a bath mat a couple years ago.

So anyway, here's my pouf. Along with my lovely assistant. Smiley He worms his way into all my photos these days.

The finished pouf is about 8 inches tall and 21 inches in diameter. I used a size K crochet hook. To fill it, I lined it with an old sheet and filled it with lots and lots of fabric scraps and some old knit swatches.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010 02:37:26 AM by cinnamon teal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010 02:37:54 AM »

Real cool. How many tshirts did it take to make the pouf? (the outer part)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cateus
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010 04:03:22 AM »

tshirts are so much fun to turn into yarn! love how your pouf turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazylittlekels
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010 06:38:02 AM »

Your pouf looks awesome and super comfortable! Also, your assistant is very handsome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
javamama
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010 10:01:04 AM »

Love it! Inspires me to actually take up my crochet hook again. (It's been a long time!) Any chance you could do some more explaining about how you did it? (rough idea of a pattern?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010 02:00:30 PM »

Thanks for the love! Smiley

Real cool. How many tshirts did it take to make the pouf? (the outer part)

I didn't keep track, but I'm guessing close to 30. I used my hubby's old holey shirts, some freebie shirts and a few that I bought for another project and never used.

Love it! Inspires me to actually take up my crochet hook again. (It's been a long time!) Any chance you could do some more explaining about how you did it? (rough idea of a pattern?)

The construction is super basic. I made a circle for the bottom, then crocheted straight up for a while, filled the thing up with scraps and stuff and then crocheted the top closed in another circle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javamama
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010 08:03:57 AM »

Thanks for the explanation! Wow, 30 shirts huh? I guess I better start looking! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristy_n_kritters

So freggin' fabulous, she spits glitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010 02:12:07 AM »

This is too cute! I've been wanting a floor cushion forever, but just cant justify buying anything new anymore (lol). Thanks so much for the idea! How noticable is the transitioning between different shirts? Can you tell by the color? I would love to make one that is one solid color, but white is never a good idea at my house (I have 3 kitties and 4 VERY large doggies  Grin)

hmmm... maybe I could do white shirts, and do a tea/coffee stain with them before crocheting them in... Undecided

BTW: I completely forgot to mention that your assistant is absolutely gorgeous! And I LOVE your avatar pic of him with the close up snout shot Grin
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010 02:14:58 AM by Kristy_n_kritters » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is this "normal" you talk about? Is it contagious? OMG! Stay away! Don't touch me! I might catch your normal!
susie in the sky
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010 02:28:00 AM »

Lovely!  I love that it's all recycled too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty, eco-y, charity shopp-y, vegan-y, happy-y blog...

http://secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk/
cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010 02:54:22 PM »

I'm really excited that my cushion inspired you! Yes, you can see where there are color changes from one shirt to another. But I like the gentle contrast of the different shades of white. You could absolutely dye the shirts all the same color and that would even out the color shift... or you could tie dye the shirts and make the color shift a feature. In fact, that could be really cool. Especially if you stuck to just one or two colors.

Thanks for the puppers love. I think he's pretty great. Smiley

This is too cute! I've been wanting a floor cushion forever, but just cant justify buying anything new anymore (lol). Thanks so much for the idea! How noticable is the transitioning between different shirts? Can you tell by the color? I would love to make one that is one solid color, but white is never a good idea at my house (I have 3 kitties and 4 VERY large doggies  Grin)

hmmm... maybe I could do white shirts, and do a tea/coffee stain with them before crocheting them in... Undecided

BTW: I completely forgot to mention that your assistant is absolutely gorgeous! And I LOVE your avatar pic of him with the close up snout shot Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate-Filled Wonton Recipe
Ricotta Orange Pound Cake Recipe
Kid Friendly "Frankenstein" Pudding Cups Recipe
Rustic Apple Tart Recipe
Baking Halloween Cupcakes with Christina Applegate
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...