A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Food Pics and Wonton soup recipe, with suprise ending.....  (Read 2225 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

croza
« on: May 24, 2010 07:02:17 PM »

It's been a while since we have updated. I guess married life. Now we have some new pictures and a wonton soup recipe.

Lo Mein. We bought a cast iron wok from Lodge Logic, it cooks Asian cuisine very well.

The All-American meal, a baked potato and New York strip steak. America, bleep yeah!!!!

We call this next one a Juicy Lucy, we got the name and idea from food network, some bar makes it. Its a cheeseburger with cheese in the middle.

NowThe Wonton Soup Recipe

Ingredients for soup and wonton

For Soup
6 cups of chicken broth (homemade or store bought)
Wonton wrapper (homemade or store bought)
(Optional Ingredients) As much or little as you want.
Broccoli
Shredded Carrots
Snap Peas
Green Onion (Sliced white and greens separated)
Bean Sprouts

For filling:

Napa Cabbage (finely chopped)
3 Green Onions (finely chopped)
6 oz Ground Pork
1 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 tsp. Soy Sauce
tsp. Salt

In a bowl mix cabbage and salt and let stand 10 minutes. Wrap cabbage in a double layer of napkins and squeeze out excess liquid. Mix pork, cabbage, onion, oil, and soy sauce.

Next, I would suggest placing at least 24 wonton wrappers out on napkins. You could do them one by one, but it takes a lot of time. We have found this method more efficient. Have a small bowl of water on the side; its to seal the wontons. Place half a teaspoon or so into each wrapper. Then place water on the edge and press to seal, you can use a fork to crease the ends. We use a pinching method, it is almost like a pleat. 

We made a lot.

Close up.

Sealed wontons.

Once you finish your wontons, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Once boiling, add your vegetables, if you use them, and cook until stock begins to boil again. Then, add your wontons and cook for two minutes, they cook very quickly. Immediately remove from heat. Then add bean sprouts and green part of green onion.

Vegetables we used.

Soup!!!!

Extra recipe!!! If you are feeling like it, save some of your wontons, and heat a small amount of oil in a nonstick pan on med-high. Add your wontons and cook on one side until golden brown, then add cup of water and cover and cook for two minutes.

Surprise!!!! Fried Dumplings!!!!!

Finished products.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bibe
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010 07:12:15 PM »

It all looks delicious! I love wonton soup and lo mein. Thanks for sharing such a detailed tutorial for the soup, i always though it seemed difficult to do.

Did you use a recipe from somewhere for the lo mein or made up your own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
croza
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010 07:35:22 PM »

We came up with this recipe out of experience. Its basically 1-1/2 tbs of sugar, 2tbs of hoisin sauce, 2tbs of soy sauce. I would suggest tasting your sauce before hand, and adjust when necessary. This lo mein is to our liking, which tastes like your typical lo mein. Be adventurous, we recently added some pepper flakes, and it was fantastic. I would also suggest buying a cast iron wok, and a good one, especially if you cook Asian cuisine regularly. It makes a huge difference,  as it maintains high heat very well, which is key to Asian cuisine. Lodge Logic is a fantastic brand, and very affordable.  I am sure my wife and will post how to make it, it is one of our favorites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragonfire411
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010 09:56:43 PM »

Yummy!!  Not to mention I love fried dumplings too!  I can make a meal out of just those little guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know indeed what evil I intend to do,
but stronger than all my afterthoughts is my fury,
fury that brings upon mortals the greatest evils." - Euripides

http://www.etsy.com/shop/IlarianCreations
bibe
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010 10:39:07 AM »

I have a rather nice wok, but it is not cast iron - I will look into it as I could eat lo mein everyday Cheesy I love spicy lo mein, so red pepper flakes is right up my alley. I'd love to see your recipe if you ever get around to posting it.

I wonder if I can find the wonton wrappers in my area - for store bought ones, would those be frozen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bibe
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010 06:22:05 PM »

I made the soup tonight - delicious! It taste just like the restaurant.

I got to take a picture of leftovers as we dug right in after it was done.

My local grocery store had both frozen and fresh wonton wrappers - I bought the fresh ones. I omitted the broccoli and peas - I put in shredded carrots, bean sprouts, cabbage, and green onions only. I also used ground turkey instead of pork as that's what I had on hand.

Funny enough, I thought that 2 minutes wouldn't be enough to cook the meat, but to my surprise, I dug a wonton out and cut it open and it was cooked after 2 minutes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
croza
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010 07:29:10 PM »

that looks awesome. I am really happy that you liked the recipe. We learned the hard way, if you leave them cooking for too long they over cook and fall apart. Fresh wontons are always better, homemade even more. I will have to try the ground turkey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skoo
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010 09:23:33 PM »

Looks great! I made wontons once it was so time consuming but very worth it.  Then again I haven't done it since...  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold the Origami Crane
How to Create an Origami Pig
How to Create an Origami Water Bomb
How to Create an Origami Peacock
How to Create Origami Star
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...