A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for covering the top part of my walls?  (Read 1571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MandyPandy99
« on: May 24, 2010 10:47:08 AM »

So I recently moved into a new apartment that is in an old Victorian building. The living room is painted really wild colors, but I love them and want to keep them. The problem is that the ceilings are really high, and the person who painted the walls didn't manage to get the top straight (it's missing about an inch on the top of paint, and it's not really straight).

Here's a pic of the top of the walls.

I would like to keep the colors but I don't want to have to repaint in order to even out the top, so I thought maybe I could cover it with something. My mother suggested a wallpaper border, but I tend to think those are a little tacky. Any ideas?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010 11:38:32 AM »

Paint some wood trim white to match the ceiling (or you might be able to buy it pre-finished) and use finishing nails to attach it. Old houses like that often had molding at the ceiling, so it should fit the architectural style, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010 01:09:06 PM »

you could do a wallpaper border, with something else than a ready made (tacky) border.
You could buy white (or whatever colour you like) wall paper cut it your preferred width and stencil it to match your theme/colors. (depending on how wide you want the border to be one roll might be enough. Or you could use nice gift wrap. I ones did this to a room I lived in as a student and it looked so good it became the most popular room in the house (we don't have dorm's here). I used 2 rolls of stripey giftwrap which I cut into strips of 6 inches wide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
danger.kitty
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010 02:05:42 PM »

Paint some wood trim white to match the ceiling (or you might be able to buy it pre-finished) and use finishing nails to attach it. Old houses like that often had molding at the ceiling, so it should fit the architectural style, too.
I second this idea.  Crown moulding would be the ticket, especially if you want to keep with the victorian style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
MandyPandy99
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010 02:46:04 PM »

Thanks guys! That's a good idea! Now I just need to find a ladder tall enough to get me up there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010 05:31:32 PM »

I second this idea.  Crown moulding would be the ticket, especially if you want to keep with the victorian style.
I was just coming in to say exactly this!! I actually think it looks weird without it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
MandyPandy99
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010 05:46:23 PM »

Thanks! There must have been moulding at some point, because it is elsewhere in the apartment, just not in this room.

Are the colors too wild? Now I'm thinking of repainting, but it seems like PITA right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010 05:52:20 PM »

I personally LOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEE the colours!!! whats on the blue wall to the left?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010 05:53:03 PM »

I'd put off painting. See if you still like it in a few months. I think the colors are fun. I got so sick of white apartment walls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
MandyPandy99
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010 09:39:59 PM »

Bella - Do you mean the hanging lantern? Or do you mean stuff that you can't see on the pic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Black Hair
How to Curl Curly Hair
How to Curl Fringes
How to Curl Frizz
How to Curl Hair with a Straightener
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...