A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mother's Day - no, it's not EXACTLY belated...  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenny S

...the scurf of yesterday's.

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2005 08:14:44 PM »

Okay, so we had our little dinner and such with my mom on Sunday, but that was just with the family I live with.  Everyone's getting together this FRIDAY, and we're going to take her out somewhere for dinner again and that's when we'll all give gifts, cards, etc.  The thing is, my mom is SO difficult to shop for.  She doesn't wear jewelry often (other than occassional earrings or necklaces when she dresses up).  She hates scented lotions.. well, most scented everything, since she has a really sensitive sense of smell, so perfume and such is out of the question.  She's an extremely busy businesswoman, so she's not home all the time to cook or garden or other things she'd like to do, etc. (read: not very many hobbies), she's a technophobe, and is really picky about just about everything else.  What's a daughter to do?  I was thinking maybe getting some good books for her to read, since she's a salesperson and when it gets slow she reads magazines, and my sister is making a photo montage thing for her, as well as homemade soaps.  Just what else is there?  The last thing we got her along the lines of a relaxing, beauty treatment type thing were these really nice gel-lined gloves with essential oils and vitamins that you wear to sleep, and she hasn't used them yet since she always forgets (she got them for CHRISTMAS)!  Anyways, I'm overly digressing.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005 08:18:23 PM »

My mom is also really hard to shop for, she is also a business woman, and there are only so many little travel-related gifts one can buy/make.  She has TONS of pins and earrings, so I hate buying those for her.  She's a big fan of tea, so maybe a mug and some tea for your mom?  This year I got her a ceramic bowl, which she really liked since even when she makes a quick bite to eat she can use it (microwave safe!) and think of me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
hondzik

wild-eyed child of the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005 02:09:56 AM »

if she's a busy business woman and is travelling a lot, you can make her a small box with things that could remind her home & make living in hotel rooms more comfortable, like a small towel, small coffee mug, a family picture, things like that:) maybe nice & funny slippers and a neck pillow? eye mask?Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005 08:20:47 AM »

For Mother's Day I always send my mom a shmancy basket of fruit and other snacky items. If your mom is really busy, maybe she would appreciate some nice snack food she can just grab in a hurry. You could get some nice gourmet items (or even make something from scratch) and decorate a basket to put it all in. A couple of books or magazines tucked in the basket would be a nice touch too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Ollin

Write your personal text here

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005 09:20:29 AM »

If she is such a busy saleswoman i would give her an agenda that has nice inspirational phrases about taking a breath, relaxing, stopping to think in what really matters, that kind of stuff...i don't know if such agenda exists on shops but you can make one but there is no much time left so is plenty of work...

You could also get her a machine to give her a feet bad so when she comes so tired from work nothing nicer than a feetbad Smiley ...they are quite affordable and they give massage and stuff...

good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything you can imagine is real.
                                  "Pablo Picasso"
SKN725
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005 10:59:09 AM »

Once when I was working , doing grad school, keeping a large house, yard and big garden, as well as raising two kids, my daughters gave me a key ring big enough to hang on my arm ('cause I was always losing them) with  a plastic thing that said "Don't hurry; don't worry; don't forget to smell the flowers." It was tied to a bouquet of my favorite flowers with a big ribbon.  I usd it until it fell apart and it reminded me to slow down and appreciate life , my girls, friends, etc.  Sounds like maybe your mom could stand to "smell the flowers"----lghtly scented ones in her case.  I'm sure a crafty person can think of something to use for the key chain thing--fabric, fusible vinyl, etc.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenny S

...the scurf of yesterday's.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005 05:15:22 PM »

Thank you for all of your suggestions! 

Sorry, I guess I should have specified further, she's actually not a traveling salesperson, but owns a store and commutes every day and works about 14-15 hours a day.  So she is home every night, just too tired to do much else but sleep.  The key ring is a great idea, as she's got tons of keys to keep track of for locking up, cash register, etc.  The snack food, mug, tea, etc. are also really good suggestions, as in the busy life of my parents, convenience is essential.  My mom is actually getting to be a snack food junky (since when business gets slow, she snacks!), and she's constantly saying she's "fat", when she's like 5'2" and 120 lbs.  Silly lady.  So maybe some healthier, yummy snacks that she can feel good about eating.  The microwaveable bowl is something I would have never thought of myself, but SO practical, since basically all they have is a small kitchen area with a microwave.  And, of course, books are always nice.

Thank you again for ALL your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purevitality
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005 05:39:03 PM »

Well... the traveling is out?  Great ideas though.

How 'bout an agenda (previously mentioned) that you could make decorate or personalize?  Then, go through and one day each month fill in a time for you to go to lunch, a movie, dinner etc etc. 

Maybe? Kind of?  Getting closer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
Ollin

Write your personal text here

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005 08:00:33 AM »

hahaha Grin , i wrote feet bad, great!! hahaha...well i have to think in 3 languages so i don't know what was i thinking instead of feet bath...anyway... Roll Eyes

Well, good luck with your choice Smiley
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005 08:02:04 AM by Ollin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything you can imagine is real.
                                  "Pablo Picasso"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Decorative Roses Out of Ribbon
How to Make a Patriotic Tote Bags
How to Make Scarves Without Stitching
How to Make Glove Puppets for Kids
How to Make Jewelry Travel Pouches
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...