A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
775 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: liams taggie blanket  (Read 969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sle9403
« on: May 24, 2010 06:49:40 AM »

So my first post with pictures! First item I ever made on a sewing machine!!!

So my Best friend since 6th grade (about 15 yrs) is having her very first baby! And its a BOY! So I have been feeling crafty and decided to make all my gifts. So far I have 1 no sew blanket and now I have this taggie blanket!!!

I love this blanket (because I was worried it wouldnt come out right). The sticth isnt exactly striaght BUT I decided I dont care due to it being for a baby who wont care either lol.

Do you think the colors are ok for a boy?

Also since im new to all this.....i have a question. When sewing, when you get to the end of your stitches, what do you do so that it wont unravel? I looked around and cant find much about it. I saw where some people say just do back/reinforcement stitching (thats what i did) but im still afriad it might unravel?

C & C are welcome!!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010 06:55:02 AM by sle9403 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010 07:02:36 AM »

I think it looks great for a boy! Well done for losing your sewing machine cherry Wink

What I do with my loose ends -

generally you will end up with one thread on the top and one on the bottom of your fabric wherever you start or stop sewing - sometimes they both end up on the back in which case you can skip the next step.

Gently pull on the thread on the back until it draws through the thread on the front - you may need to use a pin to help grab the little loop that forms as you pull it through

Tie these two together into a double knot right at the fabric surface

Thread the two ends onto a hand sewing needle

Stitch into just the back layer of your fabric right by the knot and do one stitch as long as you can then pull the needle all the way back out and trim the threads at the fabric

I hope this makes sense, it works well and looks neat Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blackstitches
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010 07:10:04 AM »

I just do the back and forth stitching at the end.  I've never had anything come undone and this is how I was taught.  I've used that technique on everything from baby blankets that have seen lots of wear and tear to kids clothes and never had a problem. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Good lord have mercy on a country girl, trying to make a living in a rhinestone world."- Dolly Parton
www.livingindomesti city.blogspot.com
www.irisharperdesig ns.etsy.com
littlerooster
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010 10:22:27 AM »

This is too cute!  And yes, it does look like it's for a boy esp with the colors of the ribbons/tags you used.... very nice work!

PS-I also just use the backwards stictch on the machine to finish off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010 11:08:24 AM »

I also just do the back and forth stitching, but have also pulled the threads through to one side and tied them off for some things.  I have never had anything unravel either.  I like the colors...even though there is a little bit of pink in the fabric, its not much and the colors of the ribbons really make it more masculine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sle9403
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010 07:40:22 PM »

Thanks! I just it just depends on the person as to what method to use, but thanks for the suggestions. I really very proud of this!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010 02:09:21 AM »

You did a fantastic job on your first ever project on a sewing machine.  The colors are fantastic and having just made my first taggie thing, I know the baby will love it. With ends I just backstitch a few times then cut the threads flush with the fabric.  I also backstitched a lot on the ribbons but still 2 came loose.
I just have to say that I'm in love with that baby pattern. Lucky, lucky baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Change Your Eye Color Using Photoshop
how to Use Camtasia Studio 6
How To Make Your Videos HD Using Camtasia Studio
How To Improve The Quality Of Your Video When Recording
How To Make A Watermark For Your Videos
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...