A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for purse and bag patterns that CAN be used to make items to sell  (Read 1072 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AshtonagoL
« on: May 23, 2010 08:41:25 AM »

I read the long thread about copyright infringements and the idea that pretty much all store bought patterns and free tutorials, etc. are for personal use only.  However, I know there are patterns and tutorials out there that will let you use their patterns to make items you sell.  One is the Buttercup Bag (http://www.made-by-rae.com/).  She offers a free pattern or one you can purchase with a license to sell.  I know there are some patterns for sale on etsy that also state you are welcome to make the items to sell.  I also found this tote pattern for free.  http://mamaspocketbook.com/freepinkoctpattern3.pdf  She does suggest that you make a donation to the Susan G. Komen foundation though which I think is a great idea!  Anyway, if you are aware of any patterns/tutorials that allow you to sell items made from them, could you please post a link?  (Aside from etsy..I'll just do a search there for those.)  I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010 12:32:40 PM »

Eventually a person who sews enough bags, whether they use a pattern or not, can start making up their own patterns, figure out shapes and mechanicals, etc. You can use old paper grocery bags for patterns or go to the local Office Mart and get brown packing paper on a roll. I think the selling part of bags made from someone else's patterns is very temporary. Most seamstresses will graduate and want to make their own patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010 04:51:00 PM »

Yes that's definately true that when you sew enough, you come up with your own patterns eventually.  That happens little by little and happens on its own, so I would keep sewing all kinds of patterns, even copyrighted ones for your personal enjoyment while still doing what you're doing and looking for ones you can sell too.  Once you do make that first pattern (I use brown Kraft paper), start a folder so you'll always have it, especially if you go to sell an item made from it.  Never anything as worse as having to figure out a pattern you made months ago when you finally do sell the item. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
lorizathm
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 02:38:53 PM »

Off the top of my head is the free pattern by verypurpleperson.co m that she recently did. jcarolinecreative.c om has a hobo bag tutorial and according to the end of the tutorial, you can sell what you make from the pattern. Another one is the person who did the tutorial for The Lindie Bag (google it)...I'm pretty sure that one is okay to sell if you make it. And according to the terms of use on Burdastyle.com, those patterns that are considered "open source sewing patterns" can be "used without restrictions".

That said, there's a difference between using someone's pattern (even if it's okay to sell what you make from it) and going around saying you designed it yourself and it's "your" pattern. I think everyone likes a little credit now and then.

And I agree with the above posters. Eventually, it's just easier to do your own patterns. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
S. E. Cupp Talks About Losing Our Religion
Jennifer Vanderbes Talks About Strangers at the Feast
The Hacienda Book Trailer
George Melloan Talks About The Great Money Binge
Paige Toon Talks About Chasing Daisy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...