A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,517
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tomato Bread =) edited to add recipe  (Read 1866 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Angelicus
« on: May 21, 2010 08:54:42 AM »

One of my first ever times making bread (maybe made it two or three times before) so I am really pleased with how this turned out. It has a lovely, really distinctive orange colour and the tomato flavour is just right - not too strong, not too weak. If you want a recipe, just let me know.

The shape came because I wanted to make a loaf out of rolls where you could pull of the rolls but it had traditional shape - if that makes sense? However it rose quite a lot so I have since decided that its better to slice or you might end up with a rather large chunk of bread.

Edited to add recipe:
Origionally from The Complete Bread Book by Lorna Walker and Joyce Hughes (published in the '70s so I doubt you could get hold of it which is why I'm happy to give out the recipe)
1 packet quick action yeast (or just look at whatever yeast you use - normally tells you on the packet how much to use for the amount of flour)
300ml warm water
150g tomato puree (I used about a half tube of double concentrate puree....I'd say go with your instincts and then add a bit more Smiley
675g strong white flour
good shake of salt (says 15g in recipe but I didn't measure)
1/2 teaspoon of garlic or onion salt/granules
1 teaspoon paprika
15g margarine or lard

Blend the tomato puree with 150 ml of warm water - it should look fairly thick. Add this and the other 150 ml of water to the dry ingredients - I actually had to add more water at this point as it was too dry but just go with what instinct tells. You then just make as with normal bread:
Knead, bash, box, get rid of all those tensions on the bread. It should be nice and elasticy when fully kneeded - about 10/15 mins?
Cover and leave to rise
When at least doubled in size, have a bit more of a knead then shape into loaves, rolls etc. Cover and leave to prove.
Bake at a preheated oven at 220C/425F/GM 7 for 30-35 mins for loaves and 15-20 mins for rolls 
Eat =)

The recipe said that I should get 24 rolls or 2 small loaves out of this. I got this loaf and about 6 rolls from it but I think I was so excited to be making bread that I didn't leave it to rise for as long as I could have.

I'm thinking that I might try and add in some sundried tomato in next time, to add a bit more to the texture? Or maybe olives?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010 11:05:50 AM by Angelicus - Reason: To add recipe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog:thoughtsonbubblesandstuff.wordpress.com

Don't frown because someone might be falling in love with your smile.
murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010 09:07:33 AM »

This looks & sounds delicious, I would love the recipe! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010 09:13:27 AM »

Mmmmm...I'm sooooo hungry right now and your bread look delicious. It is a beautiful color - just perfect! You should enter it into a bread baking contest.
I'd love to have the recipe as well! I'd never heard of tomato bread before this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
mudpdljmper
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010 09:50:28 AM »

Looks so good. I want the recipe too!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010 10:59:48 AM »

Your bread is art...beautiful shape, color, and I can almost taste it---yummy...who cares if the slices are big? Cheesy ... I love bread...

I would love the recipe as well--can it be made in a bread machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010 11:02:38 AM »

My mother calls bread like that "monkey bread" i guess because you can pull it apart.

The recipe, PLEASE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Angelicus
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010 11:13:46 AM »

Thank you so much for all the compliments guys  Kiss Grin Its made my day that you all like it so much, especially as I'm a novice at breadmaking

@ScotSkipper402 - thats the perfect name for this type of bread, love it.

@alwaysinmyroom - aww...thanks so much - I have no idea if it could be made ina bread machine. The book that the recipe is in is from the 70s so before the advent of bread machines! Its only one step really thats different from making normal bread so..... I'll ask my mum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog:thoughtsonbubblesandstuff.wordpress.com

Don't frown because someone might be falling in love with your smile.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010 12:35:09 PM »

any kind of bread can be made into small balls and then pulled apart...I make monkey bread but it is more like a sweet yummy cinnamon and sugar breakfast type bread...it pulls apart into nice gooey pieces!

When I am in a hurry, I use my bread machine...you can pretty much adapt any recipe but sometimes there is something so zen about kneading bread by hand...ahhh Cheesy

This looks like a great bread to eat with a lot of fresh veggies and dips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
halkiu09
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010 01:23:10 PM »

Looks and sounds great!  I think I'll have to try this recipe once I'm home and out of the dorms here where I don't have a kitchen Tongue

On another note, depending on where you are I would check copyright laws; a search on Amazon shows that you can buy the book (used).  I don't know much about copyright laws, and since the book seems to be out of print you may be okay to have the recipe posted, but I would double-check just to keep yourself safe  Grin

EDIT: I just purchased the book on Amazon because this bread you posted looks so delicious!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010 01:25:09 PM by halkiu09 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mischa85
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010 07:17:31 PM »

...how much is in a packet of quick action yeast?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mischa Tacks #85
Sun State Roller Girls
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Naughty Makeovers for Nice Girls
The Best Black Friday Deals
Plus Size Women Show Lingerie Fits All Sizes
How To Properly Dress for a Holiday Party
How To Get the Most Out of Black Friday
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...