A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jacket and apron to protect myself  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amalgam
« on: May 20, 2010 10:00:45 PM »

So I'm going to be visiting some friends in San Diego this August. They have 4 cats, claws included, and I want to give my arms and legs some protection. I was planning on essentially making a quilted jacket and apron. Does this sound unreasonable or futile? I know those claws are coming for me and some scratches are inevitable, but I want to try to keep that to a minimum (I have enough chicken pox and acne scars as it is). Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010 08:40:56 AM »

cat's don't usually claw people just for the sake of it. Don't pick any cat up that you don't know, let them sniff and smell before petting, and don't corner or chase and you'll be fine. You don't need aprons or things like that.
If cat growls or hisses leave it alone.
I have 4 cats as well. All have claws, the only times I've been scratched is when they were sick, or frightened. Mostly they just wiggle.

also suggest to your friend that the cats nails are trimmed before you come. Blunt claws do way less damage.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010 08:41:26 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010 10:11:46 AM »

Thanks for the reply Eliea. I know cats don't claw out of pure maliciousness. In fact, my friend told me that the cats are quite loving to anyone and everyone who will pay attention to them. It's just been my experience that even when they like you, the claws come out because they're about to get comfy on your lap and they have a good stretch first or if you're standing around and they want to be picked up, they start climbing your leg. Smiley I'll ask them to see about getting their nails trimmed before I come over and maybe I'll just stick to wearing jeans. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010 02:17:10 PM »

Jeans work well. If you are really worried, then some long sleeved tee's might help too. And those are not to hard to make if you really want to make something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010 09:43:05 AM »

Do you want to try to craft something to protect you? Maybe craft the cats some toys to keep them occupied?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
amalgam
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010 11:56:36 AM »

I'm in the process of making beds for the cats, kittykill. I made them some mouse toys for Christmas last year. I'm not trying to make the cats avoid me. I love cats and plan on playing with them often (especially since my apartment wants way too much money for me to have one as a pet Tongue). I was just looking to give my arms and legs some protection so I don't have to deal with a bunch of small open cuts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michelle Obama Makeup Showdown
Michelle Obama Makeup How-to
The Best Fourth of July Look
July 4 Makeup Look
Fourth of July Makeup How-To
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...