A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sun jar! tutorial included.  (Read 11043 times)
Tags for this thread: solar_plates , sun , lamp , light , jar , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennygum
« on: May 20, 2010 08:03:42 PM »

while browsing the internet a few weeks ago, i came across a sun jar for sale from urban outfitters for $45. i had never heard of a sun jar before and it looked sooo awesome but, being a broke (and i mean way way way broke!) college student, there was no way i was going to drop $45 on one - so i made one (= six) myself! i am currently very upset with myself because i didn't take any photos of the project as it went along, but i took some photos of the end product.

materials:
- frosting spray (i found mine at a.c. moore for $5.50. frosting spray is sold pretty much anywhere that spray paint is sold)
- one package of solar garden lights (i got a package of six at the christmas tree shops for $9.98 but i know that you can buy them individually at lowe's, though they do get fairly pricey. also keep in mind that you will be literally cutting up the decorative part of the light since the only part you really want is the solar panel and battery so don't spend too much!)
- mason or storage jars - you want the same number of jars as the number of solar lights you have (i got storage jars with latches as the christmas tree shops for $1.69 each. they came in all different styles, shapes, and sizes, so get creative! =])
- some sort of tool that plastic can be cut with - i used a drill and wire cutters and, after my experience with the horrible, cheap, crumbly plastic that the particular garden lights that i used were made with, i would say that you would probably have a hard time using an electric saw to get the job done. i think the plastic would be splitting and shooting all over the place.
- optional: epoxy, superglue, or blu-tac
- optional: colored plastic

1. first i peeled all of the awful stickers off the storage jars. i actually ended up scrubbing them with soap and water because the stickers left icky bits of glue all over the jar.
2. next i covered our deck in newspaper and got to the spraypainting! i opened each jar and sprayed the inside in short even bursts with the frosting can. i let each coat dry for about five minutes before doing another one. the jar in the photos has five or six coats of frost. one major tip that i have is to be sure to thoroughly shake the can between jars and between coats!! i didn't and it resulted in a whole lot of clear liquid rather than nice frost, which collected in a puddle in the bottom of one of the jars and does not look very pretty. you can get as thick or thin as you want with the frosting spray.
3. while your jars are drying, you can get to work on the garden lights. i hate using power tools of any kind because i am deathly afraid of them so i didn't want to use a saw or anything to disconnect the solar panel, wires, and battery (which is really the only part you need so if you can find them by themselves somewhere - i couldn't - get those instead because it will save you some work, although this part really isn't hard) from the decorative outsides bits of the garden light. i ended up using a very small electric drill and wire cutters because the plastic was so cheap that i could just break right through it. first, disassemble the light as much as you can with your hands. you should end up with a round piece of plastic with a solar panel on the top and several wires and a battery on the bottom. to get the piece of plastic to fit into the top of your jar, it has to be cut down to size and this is where the drill and wire cutters come in! making sure to avoid all the necessary parts of the light, i drilled several holes into the unnecessary parts of plastic and used the wire cutters to clip away the excess plastic.
4. this left me with a square that was a little bit too large to fit in the top of my jar, so i clipped away just enough plastic so that it seemed almost too big to fit but ended up sort of snapping into place in the top of the jar. be sure that the solar panel is facing outward. i didn't glue mine, but i'm sure that you could use epoxy or even blu-tac if you wanted to make sure it stuck or if you cut the square too small. the battery in the solar light will need to be changed eventually and i just thought it would be easier to change if i didn't glue the solar panel into the jar... but that doesn't mean you can't!
5. this step is optional - my boyfriend and i thought it would be neat to have different colored lights so we decided that since we had six lights, we would leave three white and would make three blue. we ended up buying a cheap roll of colored plastic at the dollar store and used that to change the light's color. i cut a small square (about 2 inches x 2 inches) and folded it a few times so it would produce a nice deep blue color and then taped it into place over the led light in the top of the jar. led lights don't get hot, so it isn't a fire hazard. i have thought about using colored saran wrap if i make some more in the future.
6. you're all done! put your sun jar out in the sun for a few hours and enjoy its pretty light at night! at my house we only have east- and west-facing windows so i can't leave mine in the sun all day unless i put it outside. i've found that my light lasts for about 8 hours if it is outside in the bright sun all day and sometimes for only an hour or so if it is cloudy. the photo of my sun jar lit up was actually taken at 4:30ish in a dark corner of my kitchen - i didn't want it to be so dark that it just looked like a blue blob so i took it when it was lighter outside so you could see the jar itself. it actually gets fairly bright at night... not blinding, but excellent night light.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010 08:33:39 PM by jennygum » THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010 10:22:45 PM »

That is really clever.  Urban Outfitters always has such great things that I just can't spend the money on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emo Penguin Toast
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010 10:24:49 PM »

that is sick yo, i need to do this

sweet! thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010 02:49:06 AM »

Great tut - thanks for sharing!  This would be great to have around the garden in batches, and spending $45 on one would seriously suck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010 06:13:45 AM »

Nicely done, thanks for the tute Jenny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
r.forslund
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010 07:21:13 AM »

this is SOOO COOL!! thanks for posting the tute.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sle9403
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010 08:48:02 AM »

Thats a pretty cool idea! now im thinking of making one for my friend to put in her nursery! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StephR
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010 09:25:30 AM »

I love!!!  I'm thinking I need to make one for my daughters room, one for my sons room, and a few for my garden....thanks for the tut Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennygum
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010 08:32:33 PM »

thanks everyone! i sincerely apologize because, if you are anything like me, tutorials are difficult to follow without photos. if any of you end up making one and have any questions, feel free to ask me and definitely post the finished product! i am excited to see what everyone comes up with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skeptis
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010 06:28:19 PM »

omg Neato!! How cool would it be to have a room full of little glowing jars!

On a slightly unrelated note this reminded me of the galaxy of glow in the dark star stickers we had put on the ceiling of our bedroom when we were kids - there were *so* many of them it got to be really annoying:) We never removed them when we moved so I can just imagine the new tenants first night bwahaha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create the Perfect Ponytail
Debunking Hair Related Myths
How to Git Read of Split Ends
Hottest Hair Trends for Fall
Safflower Oil Treatment for Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...