A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Dress  (Read 711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fairycraftymommy
« on: May 20, 2010 09:30:19 AM »

I have fallen in love with this wedding dress- http://www.rivendellbridal.com/Lorna.html - but it costs almost as much as my wedding budget! I want to try and make it... Dose anyone have any tips or advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alliebeth
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010 04:09:58 PM »

Hm...well it looks like a basic long boned bodice with a basic skirt you can find in almost any wedding dress pattern. Then, just a chiffon overlay for the bodice and couple layers of chiffon draping on the skirt. Besides the beadwork, it doesn't look to hard.

The only thing you'd really need to alter about a pattern is the unique neckline. It looks like it comes up higher than most and has a very slight scoop/sweetheart to it.

here's a decent base pattern (one you edit the neckline..not hard as long as you are willing to do a muslin or two until you get it right.:

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m4450-products-374.php?page_id=110

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010 09:27:05 AM »

Everything she said, except I would add that the chiffon overlay seems to have godets, along these lines:  http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m4714-products-5320.php?page_id=110  but fuller.  And somehow they've got a lettuce edge to them?  Both edges would be on the bias, if the godets were semi-circular instead of triangular, and I suppose you could serge the raw edges together, facing out, to create the lettuce edge?  I don't have a serger, so I really don't know for sure, but there's something interesting going on in that skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Fairycraftymommy
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010 12:21:47 PM »

Thank you so much! I can't figure out the lettuce edge, then again i had no idea what it was called. Lol. Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alliebeth
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010 04:52:19 PM »

http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/how_to_sew_a_lettuce_hem

Maybe that will help? The edge on the dress looks more dramatic, but maybe with a little practice you can get it just right Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenniferlownie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010 02:31:27 PM »

Wow. Yes, it's beautiful. But over $2,000USD? Maybe not quite that beautiful!

It's hard to tell from the pics - I *think* there is an asymetrical hip yoke. At any rate, there's a (below) waist seam. I would be mightily tempted to take some extra layers of sheer chiffon and add several layers to the skirt.

If you had time to try this out as a "muslin" in something you can wear for fun, long before the wedding, with on-sale fabric? I'd make some version of the body of the dress (finding out what you need to do to make it fit as an added bonus) - and then play with layers for the skirt. You could make *all* the edges in that neat lettuce finish. And not sew the panels together for the skirt. Just have layers!

Not sure if I've described it so it makes sense - think of a long bodice, then layers and layers of floaty skirt that, well, float freely. If you like your "muslin" then you could tackle the "real" dress with no fear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Adventure: Ruakaka Beach
Painting Adventure: Old Shed
Painting Adventure: One Tree Point
Perspective Drawing in Proportion Tip
Painting Adventure in Peach Cove
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...