A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with maps onto blanket!  (Read 753 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loserchick88
« on: February 13, 2011 03:14:48 PM »

alright, so here's the sitch:
I have a blanket that I got at goodwill (it's khols brand) that's regular material on one side, and super soft fuzzy on the other.  It happens to be filled with down, and quilted (stitched? whatever) into squares, 100 in all. 
what I want to do is put a picture (outline) of a race track on each square as a present for my auto-obsessed boyfriend (anniversary).  the problem:  That's a whole lotta work!!  and i have zero time. I originally thought stenciling would work, but then i realized that's just ridiculous, since I would have to cut out all the freezer paper, print the images, then cut out all the stencils, then stencil them all x100.

here's an example of the images btw: http://www.cartype.com/pics/7017/full/racetracks_2_europe-africa_b.jpg
so I want each track to be on each square (i've split them into separate printable files, and they're about 3x5" each)

so what I'm wondering is, is there some sort of pen I could use to perhaps trace over my images, then iron them on the blanket?  They're rather pixilated, so it would be best if this was possible.  If there's some sort of pen for that, whats the best brand?

any other suggestions would also be super appreciated!!  thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You want old ladies to die!!"
"nu-uh I just want their sewing machines!!"
"then why would they have to die?!"
"...cuz death is the only reason I could think of for not wanting to sew..."
A2JC4life
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 08:19:32 PM »

What about fabric crayons?

Or, could you use fabric tracing paper?  (I'm drawing a blank on the name of the stuff, but we used to use that paper that's black on one side, and you would put it in between sheets of paper when you wrote to make multiple copies?  Anyone remember what that stuff is called?)  There's a fabric version of that.  Maybe you could transfer the images that way and then go over them with fabric paint.

Carbon paper!  That's the stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loserchick88
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011 04:09:08 PM »

thanks for replying A2JC4life Smiley
yeah, i thought about crayons, but I wanted it to look really well done, and I am no artist lol.  I actually ended up doing a method of iron transfer paper, then painting over the faint lines it left.  super annoying, but it worked at least.  I tried carbon paper also, but I couldn't apply enough pressure to the fluffy blanket to make it transfer.  I do love me some carbon paper though, i definitely use it for all my embroidery work.  caution though-it doesn't really wash out easy, and the pen carbon paper (i have some for typewriters? i think).  thanks for your feedback though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You want old ladies to die!!"
"nu-uh I just want their sewing machines!!"
"then why would they have to die?!"
"...cuz death is the only reason I could think of for not wanting to sew..."
A2JC4life
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011 06:58:43 AM »

I'm glad you figured something out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Duct Tape Flowers
How to Make a Paper Plate Heart Basket
How to Make a Craft Heart Envelope
How to Recycle Wrapping Paper into a Fan
How to Make a Pom Pom Desk Topper
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...