A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starfish and Clam Pattern  (Read 3606 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mousica

Creating Crafty Goodness!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2010 10:26:36 PM »

I have a friend who is having a baby soon and wanted to make her a little sea themed mobile for her nursery to go with all her other sea themed baby items. So I just finished up this cute little starfish, which will be the first piece I will hang once I get it all completed. I am working on making some more patterns and typing it up in a PDF for easy downloading on my website, but for now here's the pattern information.

I used the following materials:

Poly Fil Fiber
Yarn Needle
Scissors
Red Heart #0311 White, #0312 Black, #0512 Turqua
Carrousel #441 Salmon
crochet hook = 3.50 mm

The Starfish is about 4 x 4 inches.

This is made in a continuous spiral, and is made in three parts.

First Part - Tentacles on Bottom

Using an adjustable ring, make 5 sc to start
Round 1 - *2 sc in the first st (inc)* repeat from * to * around - (10 sts)
Round 2 - *sc in first st, 2 sc in the next st (inc)* repeat from * to * around - (15 sts)

Next you will be making each tentacle separately.

[*sc in the next 3 sts, ch 2, turn, hdc in the next st, then make a three half double crochet stitch, hdc in the next st, ch 1, turn* repeat from * to * two more times, sc the next 2 sts tog (dec), sc in the next st, turn, sc in the next 2 sts tog (dec), turn, then pick up 6 sts down the left side of the tentacle ending in the third starting stitch] repeat from [ to ] four more times.

Second Part - Tentacles on Top

Using an adjustable ring, make 5 sc to start

Round 1 - *2 sc in the first st (inc)* repeat from * to * around - (10 sts)
Round 2 - *sc in first st, 2 sc in the next st (inc)* repeat from * to * around - (15 sts)

Next you will be making each tentacle separately.

[*sc in the next 3 sts, ch 2, turn, hdc in the next 3 sts, ch 1, turn* repeat from * to * two more times, sc the next 2 sts tog (dec), sc in the next st, turn, sc in the next 2 sts tog (dec), turn, then pick up 6 sts down the left side of the tentacle ending in the third starting stitch] repeat from [ to ] four more times.

Once both the top and bottom or completed begin sewing the edges together, and stuff the tentacles with poly fill fiber as you sew them together.

Part 3 - Face

Once you have the starfish completely sewn together and stuffed with poly fil fiber, you will need to make the face.

The eyes are made using an adjustable ring with 5 sc. Fasten off and sew to the bottom.

Next make a french knot with black yarn inside each eye.

Finally using a back stitch, make a mouth with the black yarn.

The Starfish is now complete!

I used the following materials:

Poly Fil Fiber
Yarn Needle
Scissors
Red Heart #0312 Black
Carrousel #441 Salmon
I Love This Yarn! #280 Periwinkle
crochet hook = 3.50 mm

The Clam is about 3 x 3 inches.

This is made in three parts as well: the shell, face, and eyes

I used the following pattern to obtain the shell shape and made two pieces (top and bottom) of the clam.

Ch 16 using a foundation chain

Row 1: ss in the 2nd ch from the hook, ss in the next 5 chs, hdc in the next 4 chs, ch 2, turn (15 sts)

Row 2: (Working in the front loops only), 2 hdc in the first st, hdc in the next 3 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, ss in the next 6 sts, ch 1, turn (16 sts)

Row 3: (Working in the back loops only), ss in the first 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, hdc in the next 5 sts, ch 2, turn (16 sts)

Row 4: (Working in the front loops only), 2 hdc in the first st, hdc in the next 4 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, ss in the next 6 sts, ch 1, turn (17 sts)

Row 5: (Working in the back loops only), ss in the first 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, 2 hdc in the next st, hdc in the next 5 sts, ch 2, turn (18 sts)

Row 6: (Working in the front loops only), 2 hdc in the first st, hdc in the next 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, ss in the next 6 sts, ch 1, turn (19 sts)

Row 7: (Working in the back loops only), ss in the first 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, 2 hdc in the next st, hdc in the next 7 sts, ch 2, turn (20 sts)

Row 8: (Working in the front loops only), 2 dc in the first st, dc in the next 2 sts, hdc in the next 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, ss in the next 6 sts, ch 1, turn (21 sts)

Row 9: (Working in the back loops only), ss in the first 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, hdc in the next 8 sts, hdc dec, ch 2, turn (20 sts)

Row 10: (Working in the front loops only), hdc dec, hdc in the next 7 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, ss in the next 6 sts, ch 1, turn (19 sts)

Row 11: (Working in the back loops only), ss in the first 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, hdc dec, hdc in the next 6 sts, ch 2, turn (18 sts)

Row 12: (Working in the front loops only), hdc dec, hdc in the next 5 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, ss in the next 6 sts, ch 1, turn (17 sts)

Row 13: (Working in the back loops only), ss in the first 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, hdc in the next 4 sts, hdc dec, ch 2, turn (16 sts)

Row 14: (Working in the front loops only), hdc dec, hdc in the next 3 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, ss in the next 6 sts, ch 1, turn (15 sts)

Row 15: (Working in the back loops only), ss in the first 6 sts, sc in the next 5 sts, hdc in the next 4 sts,fasten off  (15 sts)

Once you have both pieces completed, flip each piece so that the wrong side is showing on either side when held together. Then slip stitch the pieces together and proceed to make single crochet all the way around the outside of the shell and skip the opening of the shell so that you can attach the face and stuff the clam. Also you will need to sew the back portion closed using a whip stitch to form the back of the clam.

The face portion is made using the following pattern:

Ch 16 in a foundation chain

Row 1: sc from 2nd ch on hook, sc in the next 15 chs, ch 1, turn (16 sts)

Row 2: 2 sc in the first st, sc in the next 14 sts, 2 sc in the last st, ch 1, turn (18 sts)

Row 3: 2 sc in the first st, sc in the next 16 sts, 2 sc in the last st, ch 1, turn (20 sts)

Row 4 - 5: Work even 20 sts (no inc or dec), ch 1, turn

Row 6: sc the first 2 sts tog (dec), sc in the next 16 sts, sc in the last 2 sts tog (dec), ch 1, turn (18 sts)

Row 7: sc the first 2 sts tog (dec), sc in the next 14 sts, sc in the last 2 sts tog (dec), fasten off. (16 sts)

Next using the first color used for the shell, make single crochet stitches all the way around the face working in the backloops only.

Attach the face portion to the opening of the shell, and stuff with poly fil fiber once you have the face mostly attached. Stitch closed.

Then to attach the eyes, simply make two french knots.

(Please respect my copyright. While you may distribute this pattern freely, please do not sell it or items made from this pattern).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010 09:01:24 AM by Mousica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amydice
Tutorial Contributor

Amy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010 08:59:02 AM »

So cute!

And funny story, I'm about to work on sealife creatures for a mobile for a friend of a friend! lol. I think I'll definitely be using your pattern. Thanks!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for a personal swap!
Looking to swap for anything Doctor Who or a mug rug!

Blog: http://craftingmachine.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/AmyLutter
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmyLDice
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mad-Crafter/124912220860742
Mousica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010 09:26:31 AM »

Cheesy That's so awesome! Glad you liked the pattern. I'm going to be working on a seashell, seahorse, and crab next and then  have it all connected to an octopus that you can hang from the crib. It'll be pretty simple but I wanted to try it out. We'll see how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EssHaych
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010 03:32:08 PM »

Cute!! Thank you for sharing the pattern! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop: www.esshaych.etsy.com
Blog: www.esshaych.blogspot.com
Wist: www.wists.com/EssHaych

SWAPS!
Little Visitor Round 12
Post Secrets 12

I've started collecting Postcards! If you would like to trade PM me! <3 Thankies!
SusanCalvin
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010 03:09:53 AM »

Hi!
What a lovely star!And...funny story too...Ive just finished a sea animals mobile for a friend who is going to have a baby. I chose sea animals because shes a marine biologist. Hope you dont mind if a post a picture...

Ive made a little star, an orca, a whale, a jellyfish (that is bigger than the whale, but who cares...), a shark (her favourite animal) and a seal.

Bythe way, I think yoou idea of connect all the animals to an octopus is GREAT (I used a hanger and a wooden hoop), will you please show the finished mobile???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mousica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010 05:30:34 AM »

OH I love your little mobile! It's very cute.  Grin I am currently working on the seashell this week but I will definitely post pics and patterns as I make it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WVUAlesha
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010 05:53:05 AM »

I love it!  I can't wait to see the final result!  Love the other one posted as well!  so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sejimara
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010 06:16:03 AM »

That mobile is soooo stinkin' CUTE! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artanis
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010 07:41:30 PM »

Nice charecter.
But you should work on improving "your" charecter. -Sorry about that...that was my brother Jerry. He's a bit rude.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mousica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010 08:07:51 PM »

Nice charecter.
But you should work on improving "your" charecter. -Sorry about that...that was my brother Jerry. He's a bit rude.

Huh I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here, but rest assured the design and pattern of the "character" was completely my own. Yes, it's very simplistic but I really wasn't going for something crazy. Like I mentioned before the starfish is only a part of a very simple and easy to make baby mobile that I'm working on for a friend's baby shower.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Honeycomb
Pretty Little Liars Celebration Cake Recipe
How to Make Lacy Almond Cookies
Blueberry Scone and Clotted Cream Recipe
Flourless Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...