A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tunisian Crochet worked backwards (Tutorial)  (Read 1821 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , tunisian_crochet , crochet_stitch_tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2010 11:44:12 AM »

I was trying to work out a way to do Tunisian Entrelac a certain way, and also trying to figure out how to do short-rows in Tunisian crochet by missing stitches on the right-hand side of the fabric instead of always on the left.  I came up with this tutorial on how to work the Tunisian Simple Stitch backwards and still have it look like the Tunisian Simple Stitch!

You'd do well to be comfortable with the Tunisian Simple Stitch before attempting this!

I started with 10 stitches, and did 3 rows in the usual way:

Then slip-stitched across, just like when youre binding off. This was just to get the hook to the left side of the piece:

Turn (this puts the yarn on the wrong side I need to play with this a bit)

Now flip the piece up so that you can see the front and insert your hook into the second vertical bar (you may want to count bars the first time you try this, just to be sure. I counted 9 from the end)

Then yarn over and pull a loop through.

I found it easiest if the working yarn was above the stitch (but since youre working upside down, itll be below your hook) like this:

then lay the yarn over the hook and pull the yarn through

Do that for every stitch:

then work the loops off in exactly the same way youd normally do it

Itll look like this from the back:

And this is it from the front:

Here is the 3 rows worked normally and 3 rows worked backwards, looking at the front:

I then slip-stitched (working into the right side of the piece, which was tricky, but worth it, I think) across to get the hook back to the right-hand side of the piece and worked 3 more rows in the normal way:

This is the back (there is a ridge of slip stitches between each change of direction, you can sort of see them)

Now, I dont know if you noticed, but you can tell which row was worked backwards because of the way the vertical bars stack. It sticks out in this swatch, but I dont think it will be as obvious in most applications, and I dont think it really matters when applied to Tunisian entrelac, as the sections worked backwards will be worked at a right angle to the sections worked the normal way.

You can make a really neat looking fabric using this technique combined with short rows. More to come on that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress for Your Hair Color: Brunette
Beyonce Debuts Her New Bob on Stage
Nasty Gal Designs Shoe Cult Collection
Marchesa Debuts Affordable Daywear Line
Temperley London - Designer Bio - Videofashion
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...