A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A stained glass-y candle holder and a heavy coaster all in one post!  (Read 3437 times)
Tags for this thread: coaster , painted_bottle , stained_glass , glass_coaster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2010 08:45:24 PM »

A few months ago, right after I joined the CAL for every completed board on Craftster, I found a set of glass paints with the conditioner at a local thrift store.  I bought it and then got so intimidated I didn't even want to remember it was there, let alone use it!  Then, last weekend, at the hubster's prodding, I started decorating our bedroom.  My mom gave us a candle holder that had some stained glass in it and although I still can't find my stash of candles, I put the candle holder on the shelf and liked it.  Today I woke up determined to do some sort of stain-glass-looking art project on a few of the jars I've been collecting for months.

I can't show the first two attempts at this project, as my painting skills are deplorable, and it's too embarrassing to show off just how bad they are, lol.  Finally I came up with a method that works for me, even with no painting talent at all, and so, we have one pretty stained glass-y candle holder!  It is really hard to get good pictures of this thing, but I tried.

Against the sky

With it's bigger cousin, the inspiration

This is truest to its colors.

You can see the type of paint I used in the background of one of those pics.  It was pretty easy to use, smelled a little funky but since I was outside on the porch it didn't really matter much.  My husband loves it and I think it turned out pretty well.  

But, because I was already on a crafty roll with the glass, I couldn't stop at just one glass project.  Also, I needed a heavy duty coaster for my desk, and didn't want to have to spend any money on it, just use supplies I already have around the house.  So, I had my hubby cut some scrap wood down to a 5.5 inch square, which I then sanded and painted to match my desk.  I did make a big B for our last name in the middle of it, but at the end of the project it kind of disappeared...which is okay, I still like it.  After the wood was painted and dry, I got out my clear tacky glue and my bag of glass gems and went to town gluing the gems to the wood.  I filled the whole square in with the glass, then put a really thick coat of poly on it.  Wanna see?

As you can see, the poly is still drying but I couldn't wait any longer to post it, I was too happy to get it done!  

Some felt on the back will protect my new desktop, and the cool thing is that even though the marbles aren't all the same size, they are small enough that a glass will still sit steady on it.  Plus, I can throw my pens on it and they won't roll away.  

C & C always appreciated, and thanks for reading this guys!   Grin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010 08:46:27 PM by BethieB » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
achgfd
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010 08:59:34 PM »

thats very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010 09:06:22 PM »

I love these projects, Bethie! The candle holder will be even prettier when it's lit up at night. Besides, blues and greens together are my favorite colors. You might have figured that out by now!  And, I think the marble coaster is perfect. Plus, you have those irridescent colored ones.
 Here's a tip for working with the glass paint: We did this in high school...
Get a tube of black acrylic paint. cut a small hole, or use a piping tip, like for cakes.
Take a line drawing, and tape it behind a clear piece of glass, or trace it with carbon on a mirror. Then do your outlines in black, let it dry. fill in with the glass paint. Warning! Don't let it get wet... unless you come up wih a good way to seal it.
  (I hav'nt done this in 33 years) I'm just having a little flashback!
Let me know if you try this, you don't have to be a great artist to use this method.
Besides, your candle holder shines on it's own!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010 03:55:37 AM »

Very pretty! At first I thought it was dichroic glass!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010 05:48:48 AM »

love the colors and I think your coaster paperweight is a great idea!

so practical--I also love the tips and hints on what you did...but of course, you know I truly love that you just tackle a project head on and figure things out as you go!!  A true Craftster! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
soorawn
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010 06:26:06 AM »

Nice!  Beware:  working with glass is highly addictive! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
themuppet
Wants your tasty brainmeats.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010 06:46:51 AM »

Very cool!  I'll bet your candleholder is wonderful all lit up.  And the coaster is fabulous.

I really love those little glass blobs.  I have a ton of them in all different colors and have to restrain myself from buying more every time I see them.. lol!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010 07:24:31 AM »

Great looking  projects.  I love your glass art.  Nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010 01:55:21 PM »

Thanks so much for the comments guys!  It warms my little black heart (lol) to know people will take the time to read my long posts and then say such sweet things about it.

KL, if I try that, I will let you know.  And yes, glass is addicting, I was already thinking of new things to try this morning when I woke up!

Always, I totally appreciate that you get me like that!  Most everyone I know will say, "what are you doing NOW?" and when I tell them, they roll their eyes or get that look like, here she goes again with all her weird craft stuff.  But I love learning new things and I need to actually get in there and touch it to really learn it.

I will try to get some good pics of the candle holder lit up as soon as I find my candles.  I have a huge box of them somewhere.  The only bad thing is, last weekend was neighborhood clean up and they brought in big dumpsters and we hauled stuff off for free...and I'm wondering if hubby mistook the candle box for trash...and if so, what else got accidentally thrown out...:/.  I have some time set aside this evening to look for stuff so we'll find out then!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010 03:16:16 PM »

I plan to try something close to the coasters, which I really love.

I am thinking about frying the pieces like marbles and then glue them down. Now I am crazy.

I don't know if that would work or not, but heck, it is still one board I have no idea about.

My glass painting didn't work either, so like you not posted. LOL, I think KLKing's idea is a very good one though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Tuxedo Jacket
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Porte De Clignancourt in Paris
Jeanius - Grace Givens on Blue and White Patterns
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Comme Des Garçons in Paris
Jeanius - Chloe Malle on Wearing Pop Over Shirts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...