A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat bed for a medium dog sized cat?  (Read 4865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

achgfd
« on: May 18, 2010 07:19:49 PM »

My cat-... actually I call him a tiger- is a very large cat. We think he's part main coon. He doesn't fit in any of the 'normal' cat beds available at petco and the like, but he really likes crawling under things and in my dresser drawers! We got him a bed, but its actually a doggie bed. Any Ideas on how to make a nice, enclosed, toy or bed for him?
I'd really appreciate the help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010 09:48:11 AM »

I would probably look making a dog bed if your kitty is on the large size.  There are a million different patterns out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

achgfd
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010 03:24:06 PM »

hmmm what about a cat tree?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frau Shizzle

be crafty and a little bit nasty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 10:29:34 AM »

The cutest cat beds I have ever seen are these:
http://www.moderncat.net/2009/03/19/etsy-find-repurposed-vintage-suitcase-cat-beds/

I made one of those for my cats with case i got for 5 euro at the flea market. But my cats have been only little kitties then and have confused it with their litter box twice. Since it was an old suitcase made of cardboard, it was ruined, Sad

This is the one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8805582@N06/3638522543/in/set-72157619936556318/
I sewed the pillowcases and was just about to mount it on some old furniture legs I got on ebay, when the above mentioned accident happened...

You can leave the lid on and secure it with some bar, so it stays open a little bit. Then it's a suitcase cave....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010 10:48:17 AM by Frau Shizzle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010 10:02:15 PM »

hmm the suitcase idea shounds nifty. He loves boxes, but also loves tearing them up more. This carpet bed looked really interesting. But I don't understand how it works.
http://www.coroflot.com/public/image_file.asp?portfolio_id=2060720&individual_id=169383
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010 09:54:36 PM »

was looking at that skimpy tutorial for the neato carpet catbed. if it's any help my take on what's missing from their directions-
sandwich the two carpet pieces right side to right side
rivet them in that orientation

what seems to give it the shape is when they put holes in both sides of each end of the bottom piece of the carpet sandwich.
then they use those holes to put in the sisal rope. that is what gives it the shape, so what mostly seems to be missing in the instructions is that at some point they must have had to shape it, so the lower piece they put sharp folds into to make a boxy shape and the upper piece is shaped into an arch. the sisal twine is what holds it in that position if that makes sense?  
just showed my mancreature and he liked the looks of it so i think we'll be making one. if it'd help i could take pics as we put it together :}

i'm pretty sure ours will be regularly collapsed by pouncing cats & ferrets but for such an inexpensive<hopefully free> project it looks worth it

edited to add- our pumpkin chunks is a big boy, far bigger than he should be :/ at about 24 pounds. <yes, we're addressing this issue> but an easy way to make a large enough covered hidey spot for him is to cut a hole in a cardboard box and cover it with fabric or paper. or else make a Teepee type cat hidey hole using dowels or branches from the garden... you can drape a towel or fabric over it and pin it in place or get fancy pants and sew a cover to fit.  poor guy just plain ol' doesn't fit in standard cat stuff. you can also get Gigantor cardboard tubes from places like lowes or home depot.. i think they're forms for pouring concrete but not sure. you can cover those with carpet remants or fabric or whatever... you can use either a whole one and cut a door and put a cap on it<more cardboard/mdf/plywood/whatever's handy> or cut them in half and get two for the price of one.. cut side down it makes a C shaped hidey cave and round side down it makes a bit of a cat cradle to roll about in..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010 09:59:50 PM by querencia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010 03:18:13 PM »

o The tubey idea sounds good. He is a fat cat, but he's also a large cat. We think he might be part Main Coon. He's a little smaller than our cocker spaniel. We had to make him a special litter box too out of those large plastic tubs you get at target.
Here is how he wakes me up to feed him:

And begging for cuddles:

The cardboard tubes, are they as easy to rip apart as cardboard boxes? Or is the carpet there to end that? We would just give him those- but he tears up the bottom and then eats the shreds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010 03:59:02 PM »

pumpkin chunks size Wink can't take credit for the pumpkin costume, we had a time crunch last year. oops. he's ... got some meat on his bones but he too is just a big ol' boned tall/long cat... we should have him closer to 18 pounds tho :<
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/beautifulcreature/P1040602.jpg

you can google sono tubes to see them. i find them far sturdier than corrugated cardboard boxes and they are smoother/slippier textured to my hand. we have a dedicated screwloose cat who can and will try to destroy most anything given a chance but yeah covering it with carpet helps and they are already sturdier than a regular cardboard box. these are the things used to mold concrete for huge concrete structural support pillars :} an added bonus of the sono tubes is if you do top em you can use em as a table the cat can hide inside or as it usually works out in our home.. another level for them to lounge on :}

and for what it's worth in the bigboy kitty accessory line rubbermaid makes an awesome gigantor litterbox-
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3761159t400.jpg

we've had to get creative with stuff for him.. his collar, harness & leash are all for dogs.. it took a lot of futzing and heating and prying to try and make a plastic dog collar clasp into a ghetto kitty safety release collar Cheesy he's a bother but they do make great snugglers, don't they? swoon for my hunka hunka pumpkin love.

edited to ad- i am in love with your fella... tabbies are my hearts love. somehow with 5 cats i no longer have a single tabby. my home feels bereft. and that is a lotta tabby you got there Wink
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010 04:00:24 PM by querencia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010 06:30:50 PM »

Thank you! I'm having the opposite. Our house is full of tabbies! I miss my blondie guy. Your pumpkin is a beautiful cat! We call ours the Tiger because he acts and walks like the big cats do.

that Sono tube looks like its just the thing! I could cut one with lots of hose for the base and maybe make one long up the top. Did that work for you? I'm afraid he would get stuck or can't get all the way up. Or maybe give him some stairs to climp up to a little bed ontop. hmmm the ideas are flowing now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010 06:44:01 PM »

That is a giant cat!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
querencia
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010 09:00:13 PM »

not sure if i'm properly visualising what you're describing but i'm all about experimenting Wink the sonotubes come in some -really- big diameters, like they make it larger than 24" and larger than 30" diameter, the concrete pillars that frequently support highway type construction? those gigantor pillars are usually made out of sonotubes or similar brands Cheesy if you want to try and find a larger diameter like that though the best bet is to find a construction supplier, and politely ask to buy it by the foot. those huge diameters are frequently sold in 12' lengths and can be crazy expensive. if you can buy a bit by the foot though it comes out pretty economical :}

more work than it sounds like, just need to find construction supplier that deals with concrete construction, call em, and ask politely. i've found in using weird materials for household/pet related things once large burly construction guys get over blinking at me and asking me if i am looking for my father or my husband or something and i explain what i want they are usually helpful and awesomely accommodating as they try to figure out if what i'm doing is even going to work :}

my next pet project i want to do is to make a tree for the cats to climb.. we have a carpet covered floor to ceiling post thing with ledges but i want actual tree branches. my poor mancreature is patient but is getting worried as i keep eyeing up tree limbs and branches on the side of the road. just waiting for the perfect branchie tree pieces to appear... and thanks for pumpkin chunks flattery :} he's a special guy, we actually had an in court custody dispute over him. now that he's ours and here to stay i got to find ways to spoil him. though the cat tree won't be for him seeing as he's not much of a climber and his former owner declawed him :<

THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010 01:22:57 AM »

That is a giant cat!!!!!

I know!!! He's not light either. He loves to give hugs by wrapping his paws around your neck and pressing the top of his head under your chin. He is also a good jumper, but not really a good climber.

And declawing a cat is torture! I think I will just try and see if I can get them at home depot. Is that also where you can get the carpet samples? Not sure where to pick those up. But my brother in law works construction, maybe he can pick me up some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010 01:59:32 AM »

home depot stocks the smaller size tubes but if you have a multitude of cats SOMEONE'S going to appreciate the size they have there and you'll get an idea of how the stuff works. if you've got someone in construction that works with or around the peeps doing the concrete they might be able to snag you some scrap of the larger size too though :}

i'm not cool with declawing. i worked as a vet tech and just couldn't handle being a part of it usually.  scary cat with epilepsy who would attack people before having a seizure and it was just so unpredictable because the first sign was the aggression... guy with AIDS with garbage immune system desperate to keep his cat but any scratches he got led to horrible infections. i dunno. i learned to never say never. but i don't think it's something i could stand to do to one of my pets. and couldn't really handle seeing a perfectly healthy paw mauled like that. anyway, i'm OCD enough and willing to totally tick them off enough that i do claw cap them, don't hate me Wink they just glare at me for a few minutes then go back to eating and sleeping and the furniture and small children are saved. Cheesy and the door frame. because before i did it one of my cats actually managed to rip off a side of my weenie indoor door molding by climbing it repeatedly. when she leaned back at the top it pried it away from the wall over the course of a few years. anyway... declawing- no, clawcapping- hooah!

lemme know how the project turns out? going to over and out in this thread for now since it's turning into a one on one hunkacatlove fest Wink pm me if you ever want to eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coffee Cup Art by Cheeming Boey
The Comics Run: Before Watchmen the Comedia
Saint Jude Film
T.C. Boyle on Incorporating Environmentalism in Art
Looking Under the Surface of a Renoir Masterpiece
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...