A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat bed for a medium dog sized cat?  (Read 4790 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

achgfd
« on: May 18, 2010 07:19:49 PM »

My cat-... actually I call him a tiger- is a very large cat. We think he's part main coon. He doesn't fit in any of the 'normal' cat beds available at petco and the like, but he really likes crawling under things and in my dresser drawers! We got him a bed, but its actually a doggie bed. Any Ideas on how to make a nice, enclosed, toy or bed for him?
I'd really appreciate the help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010 09:48:11 AM »

I would probably look making a dog bed if your kitty is on the large size.  There are a million different patterns out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

achgfd
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010 03:24:06 PM »

hmmm what about a cat tree?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frau Shizzle

be crafty and a little bit nasty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010 10:29:34 AM »

The cutest cat beds I have ever seen are these:
http://www.moderncat.net/2009/03/19/etsy-find-repurposed-vintage-suitcase-cat-beds/

I made one of those for my cats with case i got for 5 euro at the flea market. But my cats have been only little kitties then and have confused it with their litter box twice. Since it was an old suitcase made of cardboard, it was ruined, Sad

This is the one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8805582@N06/3638522543/in/set-72157619936556318/
I sewed the pillowcases and was just about to mount it on some old furniture legs I got on ebay, when the above mentioned accident happened...

You can leave the lid on and secure it with some bar, so it stays open a little bit. Then it's a suitcase cave....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010 10:48:17 AM by Frau Shizzle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010 10:02:15 PM »

hmm the suitcase idea shounds nifty. He loves boxes, but also loves tearing them up more. This carpet bed looked really interesting. But I don't understand how it works.
http://www.coroflot.com/public/image_file.asp?portfolio_id=2060720&individual_id=169383
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010 09:54:36 PM »

was looking at that skimpy tutorial for the neato carpet catbed. if it's any help my take on what's missing from their directions-
sandwich the two carpet pieces right side to right side
rivet them in that orientation

what seems to give it the shape is when they put holes in both sides of each end of the bottom piece of the carpet sandwich.
then they use those holes to put in the sisal rope. that is what gives it the shape, so what mostly seems to be missing in the instructions is that at some point they must have had to shape it, so the lower piece they put sharp folds into to make a boxy shape and the upper piece is shaped into an arch. the sisal twine is what holds it in that position if that makes sense?  
just showed my mancreature and he liked the looks of it so i think we'll be making one. if it'd help i could take pics as we put it together :}

i'm pretty sure ours will be regularly collapsed by pouncing cats & ferrets but for such an inexpensive<hopefully free> project it looks worth it

edited to add- our pumpkin chunks is a big boy, far bigger than he should be :/ at about 24 pounds. <yes, we're addressing this issue> but an easy way to make a large enough covered hidey spot for him is to cut a hole in a cardboard box and cover it with fabric or paper. or else make a Teepee type cat hidey hole using dowels or branches from the garden... you can drape a towel or fabric over it and pin it in place or get fancy pants and sew a cover to fit.  poor guy just plain ol' doesn't fit in standard cat stuff. you can also get Gigantor cardboard tubes from places like lowes or home depot.. i think they're forms for pouring concrete but not sure. you can cover those with carpet remants or fabric or whatever... you can use either a whole one and cut a door and put a cap on it<more cardboard/mdf/plywood/whatever's handy> or cut them in half and get two for the price of one.. cut side down it makes a C shaped hidey cave and round side down it makes a bit of a cat cradle to roll about in..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010 09:59:50 PM by querencia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010 03:18:13 PM »

o The tubey idea sounds good. He is a fat cat, but he's also a large cat. We think he might be part Main Coon. He's a little smaller than our cocker spaniel. We had to make him a special litter box too out of those large plastic tubs you get at target.
Here is how he wakes me up to feed him:

And begging for cuddles:

The cardboard tubes, are they as easy to rip apart as cardboard boxes? Or is the carpet there to end that? We would just give him those- but he tears up the bottom and then eats the shreds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010 03:59:02 PM »

pumpkin chunks size Wink can't take credit for the pumpkin costume, we had a time crunch last year. oops. he's ... got some meat on his bones but he too is just a big ol' boned tall/long cat... we should have him closer to 18 pounds tho :<
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/beautifulcreature/P1040602.jpg

you can google sono tubes to see them. i find them far sturdier than corrugated cardboard boxes and they are smoother/slippier textured to my hand. we have a dedicated screwloose cat who can and will try to destroy most anything given a chance but yeah covering it with carpet helps and they are already sturdier than a regular cardboard box. these are the things used to mold concrete for huge concrete structural support pillars :} an added bonus of the sono tubes is if you do top em you can use em as a table the cat can hide inside or as it usually works out in our home.. another level for them to lounge on :}

and for what it's worth in the bigboy kitty accessory line rubbermaid makes an awesome gigantor litterbox-
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3761159t400.jpg

we've had to get creative with stuff for him.. his collar, harness & leash are all for dogs.. it took a lot of futzing and heating and prying to try and make a plastic dog collar clasp into a ghetto kitty safety release collar Cheesy he's a bother but they do make great snugglers, don't they? swoon for my hunka hunka pumpkin love.

edited to ad- i am in love with your fella... tabbies are my hearts love. somehow with 5 cats i no longer have a single tabby. my home feels bereft. and that is a lotta tabby you got there Wink
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010 04:00:24 PM by querencia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
achgfd
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010 06:30:50 PM »

Thank you! I'm having the opposite. Our house is full of tabbies! I miss my blondie guy. Your pumpkin is a beautiful cat! We call ours the Tiger because he acts and walks like the big cats do.

that Sono tube looks like its just the thing! I could cut one with lots of hose for the base and maybe make one long up the top. Did that work for you? I'm afraid he would get stuck or can't get all the way up. Or maybe give him some stairs to climp up to a little bed ontop. hmmm the ideas are flowing now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010 06:44:01 PM »

That is a giant cat!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Party Hair
VF COLLECTIONS: Missoni Spring/Summer 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
How the Perfect Haircut Can Help You Tackle Your Goals
How to Master the DIY Blowdry With Peter Butler
Perfect Hair to Complement Your Beret
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...