A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 62
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's see your sewing machine!!  (Read 202865 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_machine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pokemonbaybay
« Reply #550 on: June 07, 2009 03:08:11 PM »

i'm finally starting to use it, since my friends bought it for me on my birthday (:
http://www.cucimania.com/mec/sites/1/files/var_20080802_150920_6491_3_VAR_IMG_ZOOM___1902.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pamcake1323
« Reply #551 on: June 17, 2009 06:45:29 AM »

You all have some great machines!! I especially lov ethe teal ones. I almost picked up a teal singer in a cabinet at a yard sale last year...but it didn't have the cord. and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to replace so I didn't get it. I really wish I would have!!

I did a bunch of research on this machine when I got it ..but I haven't messed with it since them. But...Now that I have time.... (= 

Singer 500A:

I also got a 403 A ?.. last year. It's in the garage. It's my favorite to look at but I have been slowly cleaning it up. It is covered in I don't know how many years of smoke.

Here is a Nelco  S 700. It is hard to find info on these! It's from Japan. It's a deluxe zigzag & was made to be a cross between Necchi and Elna.
This machine is soooo quiet!

My new to me serger (= My mother in law gaver her to me for my b-day. Threading and using her wasn't near as difficult as I anticipated!

My first machine..I learned to sew on this one. I got her last year for my b-day.. From my wonderful husband.  Nothing special but I love it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: June 17, 2009 07:21:24 AM »

Here is my freebie, salvaged from a local junior high school that stopped teaching their home economics classes. They were tossing these out, so yay to mom, who called and told me to come get one. Bad part is that I'm having a hard time finding bobbin holders, and feet for this thing. I know ebay sells them but they are way to over priced for my budget right now. I also asked a local Bernina dealer here for a bobbin case and Zipper foot price check.... About $30 for the casing and $25 US for the zipper foot. Cry Ouch. Anywhoo, here she is, nicely preserved.

Can anyone tell me what a "Sport" is? Is it any different from a regular Bernina? Huh

She's nothing special but I love that its an older model and was a freebie. I've been thinking of painting her... Just touch ups here and there since the preteens were a bit rough by the looks of some of the scratches. Also, can anyone tell me how easy/hard is it to tune this baby on your own? Or should I take her to a professional shop for that? DH is even scared to do it. Cheesy Ha ha, men are so fickle sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shout4joy
« Reply #553 on: June 17, 2009 01:11:41 PM »

oh, she is something special Smiley The 800 series is a workhorse bunch!

Sport, I think refers to the fancy paint job (the red rectangle) and that it doesn't have as many stitches or the knee lift that the top of the line 830 had (and nothing CLOSE to the new 830).

Yes, prices are high for Bernina parts Sad But resale on a Bernina can be decent as many people search out these older models.

JOY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #554 on: June 17, 2009 02:33:12 PM »

Can anyone tell me what a "Sport" is? Is it any different from a regular Bernina?

The 801 Sport is slightly smaller than the other Berninas of the period. That was to make them a little lighter and more "portable". They are great machines. My mom had one (along with 2 other Berninas) to use when she taught sewing classes. It was used pretty steadily for 20 years and is still sewing great (my dad uses it occasionally now). I now the price of "parts" is steep but there really isn't a good alternative unless you can find them used and keep in mind purchasing those two parts is $55.oo which is a steal for that machine. When you do shop for parts make sure you remember the model number as the feet for the old models and new models are not interchangable.

As for "tuning her up" unless the timing is off you should be able to handle a good cleaning and few drops of oil yourself. If you don't have the manuel you should be able to find one online and I'd recommend getting one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 07, 2009 02:24:47 PM »

Here is Stitch Bitch #1:

Brother Sister ls-2125i

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
de_sjiem
« Reply #556 on: July 07, 2009 06:34:45 PM »

My new to me serger (= My mother in law gaver her to me for my b-day. Threading and using her wasn't near as difficult as I anticipated!

You have the exact same serger as me!  You're right, threading is really easy :-) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: July 07, 2009 08:57:02 PM »

here is my Janome 11000 the most recent one i've added to my family of machines (I also have a Janome 9000, a montgomery ward machine, and a vintage straight stitch that needs a cabinet, a necci serger and a Janome serger)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
Bladerunner
« Reply #558 on: July 07, 2009 09:39:41 PM »

I got an old refurbished Singer/Kenmore when I finished grad school, but I never got around to learning how to use it, and I sold it off when I moved from taking care of my mom's big house into my own, very small house. Last year I decided I wanted to take another shot at learning how to sew. I bought one of these, new in the box, off eBay:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_R4QWEvQgCxk/SRsu14ggz_I/AAAAAAAAEIM/Lspl0abGh0A/s512/Hello%20Kitty%20Sewing%20Machine%2001.jpg

I used it for a 10-week sewing class through the local community college, and it did everything except decent buttonholes.

Then I inherited my mom's Husqvarna something or other that she'd bought refurbished and used heavily for quilting and making stuff for herself. I took it in for service, and we decided it was probably going to be more to service & repair than it was worth in the long run. So instead, I traded it in and bought this:

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/media/products/janome/ss_size1/dc2010.jpg

It hasn't told me its name yet. We've also yet to get into our first real fight. So far, the vast majority of the bungling has been all mine, and so far it's forgiven me my transgressions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Who's the freak in the tights?"
"Haven't been in Gotham long, have you kid?"
     --Batman Beyond
xangomommy
« Reply #559 on: August 17, 2009 03:21:18 PM »

It's been a while since I last posted so I thought I'd post some of my recent finds.

Not sure if I have posted this one before, possibly since it's my best find ever. Here is my best find for $40. A 401A in it's 1958 beautifully finished cabinet.

Here are my most recent freecycle finds.
Babylock 1506 Denim Buster (I'm looking for a manual)

Singer Touch Tronic 2001

But with all of these machines, I still sew on this straight stitcher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 62 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Honey-Basil Grilled Cheese Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Pizza Recipe
Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie Recipe
Whole-Grain Buttermilk Triple Berry Pancake Recipe
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Mac and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...