A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
794 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's see your sewing machine!!  (Read 195509 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_machine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: November 10, 2008 06:04:55 AM »

An old sewing machine guy strongly recommended the 600s over the 700s because the gears were still all metal.

Only the earliest 600 series were all metal.  By the time you get into the 620's, plastic gears start popping up.  There is no, single model number that can be offered as a cut off point.  It seems that as Singer ran out of metal gears at the factory, the began using the plastic ones.

I just finished a motor-ectomy on a Singer 99 that came to me as a 220v model with bad wiring.  Since I'm in Ohio,  it just made more sense to convert it into a hand crank model.  The only part of the conversion that was challenging was modifying the bobbin winder to work with the small OD on the spoked hand wheel (required for the hand crank gizmo).

But, this little guy is all done now.  I can just see some youngster learning to sew on this - perhaps making Christmas presents for the family or a blanket for his/her teddy bear.  No worries about the machine "running away" on them, no shock hazard - they get to be the motor!

I wrote a review of the Singer 99 on my blog.

Here's a photo of this recent project:

(click on thumbnail to see larger photo)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: November 10, 2008 06:07:12 AM »

arimethia, that is a gorgeous machine!

They are all so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
SophieAnn
« Reply #452 on: November 10, 2008 07:49:16 AM »

Alright!  I had to join in on this thread - so this is my first post with pictures!  I've loved looking at all the sewing machines (where the picture links are still working).

This is my Viking 535.  I inheirited it from my great aunt a few years ago.  It's all metal, and works like a dream.  I have no idea how old it is (the Viking site was unhelpful) but it is OLD.

I love my Viking!   Grin

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008 08:54:02 AM by SophieAnn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #453 on: November 10, 2008 09:58:49 AM »

There's a Yahoo group for pre-1980 Vikings, I bet they could tell you the age of it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
SophieAnn
« Reply #454 on: November 10, 2008 11:05:02 AM »

Thanks!  Off to check that out....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: November 10, 2008 12:22:32 PM »

The Husqvarna Viking site was unhelpful, because that machine wasn't made by Viking.

Eaton department stores sold sewing machines and used their private label brand on them. "Viking" was their house brand for appliances of all types, from radios to refrigerators.  This machine was made in Japan, and "badged" with the Viking label for Eatons.

Somewhere on the casting, you will find a "JA-___" or "JC____" number stamped on it.  The Japanese government assigned each Japanese sewing machine factory such a number. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 10, 2008 12:48:27 PM »

There's a Yahoo group devoted to post WW2 Japanese machines (usually distributed through department stores) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagejapansewingmachines.  The group has posted a Word document on Japanese models.  Perhaps you can find yours within that document.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
craftyfoxni
« Reply #457 on: November 10, 2008 02:56:22 PM »

hi peeps  -  love some of the machines on here and great the way that some people are looking after the older models  and arimethia i have a singer the same as that one which i bought about 9 years ago and xangomomy i have a singer the same as that as well it was in my MIL house and when they moved they had no room foe it so it came to live with me   -  but most of the time i use a toyota which i wouldn't be without
THIS ROCKS   Logged

while i knit i think
xangomommy
« Reply #458 on: November 10, 2008 03:23:11 PM »

craftyfoxni, I'm like you. Even though I have the other machines, the one I sew on is my trusty Montgomery Ward UHT J1267 Japanese made machine with no manual. I just use trial and error with her.  She doesn't intimidate me whereas the other machines do, lol.

Here is Aiko:)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008 04:10:07 PM by xangomommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
paradoxbox
« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2008 03:49:45 AM »

So I bought a sewing machine on Friday on yahoo auctions Japan (since I live in Tokyo)
It came today, here's a pic of it. It's a real beast at 11kg (25lbs) and seems to work just fine. I paid about $180 USD for it.

Hoping to use it to make garments for sale. I guess I'm an oddity as a heterosexual young male that wants to sew stuff, but I figure it's a good skill to have and I happen to live right next to the biggest fabric district in Japan with about 40 fabric stores all on the same street 5 minutes from me..!

See ya'll later!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008 11:56:24 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Gruyere Grilled Cheese
How to Make Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
DIY Toaster Pastry Recipe
How To Make The Spicy Brunch Dish Chilaquiles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...