A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 307,981
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's see your sewing machine!!  (Read 272303 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_machine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexi_icedrink

***made in Belgium***

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 03, 2008 09:14:14 AM »

I didn't found mine in this thread, neither through google, so why not join the topic  Smiley

It's a green German (Anker Super-Nutzstich FZ-05S) According to the colour I believe it's from the 70s. I have it for about a year and I am starting to get in love Smiley I've never followed any sewing classes and don't have a manual but I'm searching everything through the internet. Patience works  Grin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008 09:21:21 AM by lexi_icedrink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all make mistakes, and then when you've made enough, they call it experience.

http://thriftwithatwist.blogspot.com/
angeltreats
« Reply #341 on: August 03, 2008 10:23:08 AM »

*gasp*

It's so pretty!  Anker... I don't know that brand.  Is it a nice machine to use?

Oh I so want a green sewing machine now.  One of mine is kind of olive green but I want a bright one like this or the one on the previous page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #342 on: August 03, 2008 10:26:00 AM »

I got my machine from a classmate last year, It's a singer melodie and it's all rather french. It didn't come with a book or any attatchments just a straight sewing foot(which has started to wobble) and a three pronged plug that doesn't fit very well.
Still it sews in a straight line and does a zig-zag. It does have a button hole stitch on it but i don't know how to work it.
I'm thinking about replacing it with a sewing and embroidery machine, possibly a janome memory craft as i'm going into my second year of a textile course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexi_icedrink

***made in Belgium***

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 03, 2008 10:51:12 AM »

It's so pretty!  Anker... I don't know that brand.  Is it a nice machine to use?

After one year, I just made my first button hole with it. I think the machine is quite easy to use and it does its work good for a novice like me.

I chose a vintage one from a shop for several reasons:
1) for its price and quality (about 120$ - heavy machine with metal frame, not plastic like some cheap new ones)
2) for its guaranty (6 months)
3) for the 'life' explanation how to use it and help afterwards (this wouldn't be possible if I bought it on a flee market or on eBay) The old guy from the shop is so in love with sewing machines that he gave me a short handwritten manual  Smiley

So I can recommend to buy second hand from a local shop if you start to sew!
Off course the colour was a big turn on and it suits my passion for vintage fabrics  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all make mistakes, and then when you've made enough, they call it experience.

http://thriftwithatwist.blogspot.com/
IamSusie
« Reply #344 on: August 03, 2008 11:00:04 AM »

It's fun to see what everyone sews on!  My first couple machines were hand-me-downs from my grandma, first an old electric Singer which didn't do a zig-zag then a Necchi which was better but shook a lot when sewing.  One year during our extremely strict budgeting years with a new house and new baby, my husband got a nice bonus at work.  (That was the only time that ever happened because his stingy company didn't like giving out bonuses and most people didn't earn them...  Huh )

Anyway, we saved for my graduate degree and got me a Husqvarna Viking Lily 550:

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I first fired this up.  It turns out I don't use most of the funky stitches, but it has a drop in bobbin, walking foot, easy threading and requires no oil.  In 10 years, she's only needed basic tune-ups.  Funny, I use the machine more than I use that graduate degree!  Cheesy  We both agree that this was the best high-end purchase we ever made.  There has never been a week that goes by that I don't stitch up something-or-other.

My daughter just turned 8 and we got her the Janome Hello Kitty machine for her birthday.  I wish it also had a drop in bobbin, but otherwise it really works nicely for a beginner machine.

I'm guiding her a LOT with her new attempts at sewing.  I really want her to feel successful to start out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidwestDiva
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2008 11:35:32 AM »

FeeSewBug thats almost the same machine I have.  To bad Im at work right now so I dont have a pic and by the time I get off work Crafster will be "read-only".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2008 12:57:49 PM »

I got me a Husqvarna Viking Lily 550:
I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I first fired this up. 

I've got a Viking 400 (an earlier version of yours) bought in 1996 for $600 that I love too though after some extra heavy use recently, I thought that I had damaged it.  I sent it back to Viking for factory service. It'd never been touched by anyone but me in all these years.  Viking asked if I had a copy of my warranty.  I did.  It cost me $35 to have it packed and shipped. Viking repaired the machine, brought it back to factory specifications and charged me NOTHING.  They fixed it for free!  You can't beat that!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
IamSusie
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2008 01:13:02 PM »

Viking repaired the machine, brought it back to factory specifications and charged me NOTHING.  They fixed it for free!  You can't beat that!

That is amazing!  I know people swear by their Bernina's but I love my Viking so much I'm sticking with them if I ever get a new one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2008 02:11:23 PM »

I'm so excited to post pictures of my new sewing machine...a vintage Viking 6440. Got a steal on it, $50 w/shipping for it, like...six cams I think? and a ton of feet. WOO HOO! I'm psyched. Right now, I also have a vintage Mercury sewing machine (singer 15 clone, it is soooooo pretty)

Here's a picture from the auction of the Viking:

I just wish it was black instead of dark brown. Which I know is totally stupid and nitpicky hahaha.

Here's the Mercury (haven't decided what to name it yet)

And I also still have my first machine, a Brother LS-2125i. Which despite being relatively cheap and plasticky, has always been a decent machine. I'm hesitant now to sell it or anything because my gramma bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sVAPOQfWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I should get some pictures of my sewing machine table - it's HUGE and real wood, has storage compartments inside and a way I can set the sewing machine so that it's level with the top of the table and was only $40 at the local Salvation Army. SCORE.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008 02:48:46 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to remove hotlinked image. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
panul
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2008 07:09:36 AM »

I have loved seeing everyone's machine on this thread, but I have never posted because I don't have a cool reclaimed machine from the thirties or anything. Mine is not a brand new machine either. I love it a lot but thought no one else would be interested.
Then I saw IamSusie's post and her story was so much like mine that I just had to jump in.
I started sewing on my mom's old Singer in high school (after miserable failure on all my home ec projects in school) and then went on to a rather quirky Vigorelli my siblings gave me for a graduation present. Later I bought a Necchi that worked beautifully except when the plastic camshaft was broken, which was WAY too often. Then it was a series of Brothers that lasted only a couple of years a piece with the vigorous workouts I gave them.
Then when my youngest was a year old we suddenly had some extra money and decided to splurge on my dream machine, the machine Nancy Zieman was using on her show at the time. And here it is:

It's a Pfaff Creative 1471, one of the first fully computerized machines and  twenty-one years old now. It has made clothes for my children (while they'd still condescend to wear such things), clothes for me, countless quilts, pillows, tea cozies, bags, etc. All three of my kids learned to sew on it. It has lived through several moves and an apartment fire. And in the last few years it has made wedding dresses for both my girls. Just like IamSusie, I don't use every function it has, but I keep it at the ready, because I use it all the time. It's my good old friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...