A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
811 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's see your sewing machine!!  (Read 191881 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_machine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clayfaery
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2006 03:38:41 PM »

it's a kenmore mini ultra. So cute,tiny and pink! The small doll sitting on it is the size of a barbie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2006 04:57:24 PM »

How does the mini-ultra work/hold up?  It just looks so tiny that I'd be afraid it'd fall apart.

But pink!  Be still my heart...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
iScreamedMyselfHoarse
Boldly screaming where no one has screamed before...

And Jesus, I'm ready to go home...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2006 05:45:16 PM »

Well I figured I'd pull out my little babe... little, HA I think not! More like my 50lb babe! Here he is in all his glory

So here is his story... we had a slightly newer machine that I uhh killed sewing duct tape (really bad idea by the way!) so my Grandma who had been looking for an excuse to buy a lighter machine gave me this one. My mum and all my aunts' wedding dresses were sewn on this baby... I am proud to have him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He wraps Himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide and trembles at His voice... How great is our God!

PM me if you would like to trade something knitted for a size 12-20 Built by Wendy sewing Pattern... never been used!
clayfaery
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2006 05:57:38 PM »

How does the mini-ultra work/hold up?  It just looks so tiny that I'd be afraid it'd fall apart.

But pink!  Be still my heart...

it works pretty well. I've only really made doll clothes with it. I got it as a travel machine...cause I have a class this summer where I need one..and it only needed to have straigh and zigzag stich.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

qbmaya

Runs with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2006 06:23:54 PM »

Here's my baby.  I bought it because my mother's was acting up.  Not knowing anything, I bought the next generation of the one she has for $30 off of Craigslist.  It works like a charm and it was at least 3rd hand.  Here she is:

The doll was actually made by my mother on her's, but she's covering some off the mess in the background (like the medical waste for my diabetes  Embarrassed).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the deadliest woman in the world [with knitting needles].
lilisew
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2006 11:16:57 PM »

http://www.euro-pro.com/europro/images/product/605D_lrg.jpg

I haven't used it yet... but I'm in love  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008 07:27:02 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

OrangePeel
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2006 09:51:10 AM »

I learned how to sew on my Mom's 1940's Pfaff, but my own personal first sewing machine was a Singer purchased at Walmart -- it's full of problems; so then my husband bought me a Bernette 65 -- this one I love & have used nearly every day since I got it 1-1/2 years ago.  You can follow this link to see the model:  http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441868329&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302025051&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181831&bmUID=1097460476734

I also have a Janome MyLock 644D Serger -- it looks like this: http://www.janome.com/product_show.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You might be a quilter if:
you smuggle your fabric stash in with grocery bags to fool your husband into thinking the grocery budget is going for food.

YUP!!  That's me!!!
bilblio
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2006 01:56:09 PM »

I have 2 machines. Originally I started off with Mum's 30+ year old Jones machine, it had 2 speeds, "stop" or, "lose your fingers". I'd tried using it loads under her supervision when I was younger, I never got on with it, but when Dad bought Mum an all singing all dancing Janome machine I got the Jones anyway.
The problem was, the Jones was heavy duty metal, and the all singing all dancing Janome was plastic, Mum was scared she was going to break it on the heavier materials. So she asked to swap.
So I got this lovely all singing all dancing Janome MyExcel 4023machine, which goes as various speeds and still leaves my fingers attached to my hands.

Dad then went and bought Mum another all singing all dancing machine... and an overlocker (serger) just for good measure.

My second machine I bought myself second hand out of the paper. I saw it by chance when I was at a friends, it was 2 in the morning, I was drunk, and the advert jumped out at me. It was fate, I'd wanted a treadle machine for years so couldn't resist. I admit I don't use it for sewing much, but I love it more than any machine I could ever get and I use it on a daily basis.... as a gorgeous piece of furniture by the front door.

It even has all the stuff and gubbins with it...

and there's a marking on the floor of it which says 1881. I'd love to know if that's a date.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - http://www manickitty.co.uk/
My wists - http://www.wists.com/bilblio/
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2006 04:26:19 PM »

Bilblio, your Singer is gorgeous! I have a little fantasy of finding an old black Singer for next to nothing and cleaning it up to look good. I just love the look of the old black ones. Although I have to admit that white Singer Featherweight someone posted is cute! I'd like any great old machine, I guess. 

How did you like the treadle? I've wondered what using one is like. I should probably have one; my technophile husband (inaccurately) calls me a neo-Luddite, so I'd probably like a treadle sewing machine. They'd be practical in power outages, if nothing else. Treadle machines are still used in some parts of the world, and, in the US, the Amish use them; I just saw a picture of a modern treadle machine Janome makes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
I Eat Art
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2006 12:22:17 PM »

If the serial number plate is still on the machine, you can look up what year it was made. My treadle machine (posted in this thread a while back) looks similar to yours and is from about 1920. There's a whole history about the gold-leaf pattern on the machines but I can't remember it at this point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Roll and Dry Recycled Paper Art
How to Create Landscape Art with Recycled Paper
Types of Art You Can Make with Recycled Paper
How to Make Kirigami Hanabi Fireworks Paper Cutting
How to Create a Crystal Wedding Centerpiece
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...