A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's see your sewing machine!!  (Read 208974 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_machine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2006 12:00:44 PM »

I'm liking Gretta or Donna.  Who'd've thought that naming my sewing machine would be harder for me than naming my child  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
cassie_g
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2006 07:42:01 PM »

Here's the machine I learned on: a 1960's(?) Singer.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/baby_rat/P8070021.jpg

Here's my treadle machine: Singer 1917
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/baby_rat/P8080023.jpg

Close up:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/baby_rat/P8080022.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2006 05:20:16 AM »

The 1917 Singer is beautiful!  Do the old treadle machines stitch backwards, too?  Is it just a matter of treadling backwards?

BTW, got a giggle from the hamster ball in the foreground. In a Fred Flintstone kind of world the hamster should be earning his keep running the 1917 sewing machine.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
cassie_g
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2006 05:54:53 AM »

The 1917 Singer is beautiful!  Do the old treadle machines stitch backwards, too?  Is it just a matter of treadling backwards?

BTW, got a giggle from the hamster ball in the foreground. In a Fred Flintstone kind of world the hamster should be earning his keep running the 1917 sewing machine.  Wink

The 1917 does not go in reverse but I just put the needle in, lift the foot, turn the fabric around and stich abit, the do the lift and turn again so that I'm going in the right direction again.

Yeah. That's my rat ball. It tends to move around the house without the rat in it so I find it in some strange places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oops Creations
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2006 11:13:25 AM »

I have joined the ranks of sewing machine owner..... hurray

I have my Grandmother's Kenmore 158 1341  that I brought back from a recent trip home.

With original manuals (thank goodness).  I hope to figure it out and start sewing

Incidently I've learned that it is okay to carry-on portable sewing machines in their cases-- Airport security just looks at you funny but still lets you go on the plane.  (Of course check with your airline first!!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finally on the Wist Bandwagon:  http://wists.com/OopsCreations

I have loads of good quality CIGAR BOXES available for trade.  Great for purses, shrines, jewelry boxes.  PM for Pics.

Fill a Box is Back
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2006 11:41:04 AM »

oooh, you're going to LOVE the Kenmore!  It's my new baby.

paroper , you're not going to believe what I found:  another Kenmore, just like your old one, complete w/ all the attachements, in a cabinet, at a rummage sale....get this...for $15!  (Just 3 days after I bought the one I already posted!)

It was so weird....I bought the first one (for $35) on Wednesday, and on Thrusday morning, my mom tried it out and said she loved it, and if I ever found another one like it, I should pick it up for her.  We both kinda laughed about it, b/c what are the odds? 

Saturday, I was out rummage sale-ing, and at on my way out of town, decided to stop at one more sale (they had some baby stuff that I wanted to look at)--one that wasn't on my original "list."  Imagine my surprise when I see this beautiful Kenmore set up.  I dash over to it, trying not to look too excited.  It's marked $40...I'm not sure if I/Mom really want to spend that much.  As I start to play with it, the lady says, "It works great.  I'll give you a great deal on it.  $15.  You can even try it out if you want."  Well, I just happened to have fabric in my car from when I tried out the first Kenmore, and sure enough, this one did sew perfectly.  Of course, I snagged it.  (We had a hell of a time getting that damn cabinet into the car, though!) 

After my mom, you were the frist person I thought of  Grin

I did make my mom "trade" me, though--I got the rummage sale one, since it was in a cabinet, and was able to use all the fun cams, Mom got the slightly older model that I got earlier in the week.

Neither one of us could be happier!

Except...

A couple days ago, I was at our local second hand store (the Civic Center, aka, The Civ), and see this sewing machine cabinet, buried behind a ton of other stuff.  I thought it was just the cabinet, and i just wanted to look at it.  So I pull all the other stuff away so I can get to it, I open it up, and what is in it? 

An old black Singer, that I'm guessing is a Featherweight.

For $20.

And....

I left it.

At the time, I was proud of my self-restraint.  Now, I am inwardly weeping.  It's killing me that I left it.  I must have it.  I did bury it back the way they had it (just in case), and since they have a couple other sewing machines there that have been there for months, I'm hoping that there just isn't much demand for such items.  I'm PRAYING that it's still there tomorrow.

WHAT was I thinking!?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
eveelle
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2006 11:58:16 AM »

I've got the same exact Kenmore also! It truely is awesome! Cheesy
My mom and I have been searching for a sewing machine for my sister at second hand stores/thrift stores and flea markets, but have never found any for such great prices as yours', DishclothQueen. You must've been there just at the right time!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2006 12:09:07 PM »

I have a Bernette 65, made by Bernina.  Amen to whoever said they wouldn't use anything else as long as they can afford it.  It's got a tool holder where I keep all the extra feet, and small maintenance tools.  There is also a handy pull-out drawer on the bottom right with visual instructions in case you forget how to use dials and whatnot.  Also, it's got an automatic needle threader!  No more squinty eyes for me!

http://www.berninausa.com/media/products/machines/sewing/bernette65/images/bernette65_m_ce07.jpg

One day when I can afford it, I am going to get an Artista.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008 07:28:57 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2006 03:56:53 PM »

oops,we have almost EXACTLY the same machine. You will love it. It will take another couple of decades to kill that thing. Have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordpress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2006 02:37:13 PM »

Okay, I caved and bought the old black Singer.  Here it is:

I tried it quickly in the store, and it seems to sew.  From what I can gather from the internet, it seems to be a model 15, produced in either 52 or 53. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut a Girl’s Hair
How to Avoid a Bad Hair Day
Blow Dry Curly Hair Tutorial
How to Blow Dry Hair to Create Volume
How to Care for Dry and Damaged Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...