A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I got the Serger for $50!!!  (Read 2547 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2009 12:14:48 PM »

I have the opportunity to get a White, Speedylock Serger model 7340 for 50$

Is this a great deal? Is it something that is used a lot?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Update below!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 07:54:52 PM by SHELIAANN1969 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009 02:13:07 PM »

I use my serger alot.  I didn't think I would until I got it.  I would say go test it out first and see how it works first. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009 07:43:47 PM »

I got it! It's in perfect condition! I threaded it and got it working correctly  the very first try, although either the needle was old or the tension was incorrect, the needle broke and I changed it, re-threaded it all and it worked perfectly!

The lady got it at least 7 years ago, but I think it was more. She bought it at Joannes, took classes to learn on it and I think that was all she did with it.

It had all the little parts with it and the box, extra needles, the booklet she used in the class, the manual, the little cover, the oil, tweezers, the rolling hem plate, the original box and styrofoam, everything! Cheesy Even 4 cones of white thread and some little tops that you can use in case you have regular spool thread.

It is way cool!

Perfect condition!

2 nights ago I got an All American Canner 21 1/2 quart with the screw doewn lid that doesn't need a gasket/seal, it is NOW 200$ at Amazon.com, I got it and 2 dozen jars for 35$, it came in the original box as well, it was most likely 20 years old but looked as new as one that you would get right now from a store. It's weird, I have been finding really amazing bargains!

I have to meet a woman this week coming, who has over 700 yards of quilting fabric in different styles, for $1.25 a yard, or she said 600$ for all of it, if I could get it for 200$, that would be super duper! Wink

I am hoping it's not all some Christmas or weird patterns! Cheesy

I am soooooooo excited, can ya tell?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 07:46:11 PM by SHELIAANN1969 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009 09:36:05 PM »

You have found some awsome finds!!!!!

Good job!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stylinmommy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009 09:28:37 AM »

Awesome finds - the serger and the fabric. 

I thought I got a deal on my serger ($125 for a brand new Pfaff on Craigslist), but you've got me beat!  It took me a while to learn to thread it and feel comfortable with it, but now I love it.  I have only used it so far to sew seams so they don't fray.  And I tried the rolled hem once, which is way faster than a traditional hem. 

And about the fabric...Where can you even find any kind of fabric for $1.25 these days!!!  Great find! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009 04:11:56 PM »

Thanks everyone, I am so stoked!

I had Gran come over today, I had a sheet that I wanted to make a shirt from, I tried to make the shirt bigger than the pattern because it was just at my commercial size, and I wanted it to be loose, needless to say it ended up looking awful and much like a potato sack/ slash/ mental unit hospital gown!

Me and my Gran laughed and laughed so hard, the shirt was hideous but I learned how to make darts, read and cut a pattern, sew the pieces together and I got a lot of practice on my sewing machine!

My Gran laughed so hard, it was hysterical, we had a great time today, I don't care about the *mental unit escapee wear* look that the shirt ended up with, it was a hoot!

Lesson one, use the correct fabric for the job and stick to the pattern!! haha lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WitchWhoWalksWithoutFeet
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009 07:17:32 PM »

I had that same serger and frankly i gave it away. It gave me nothing but trouble. I had it repairs at least 3 times and it till wouldn't work right. I finally gave up. >.< hopefully you have better luck than I did.
I know 99% of serger problems user user error, but no one could make that basted thing work right. >>sigh<<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One day each of you will come face to face with the horror of your own existence. One day you will cry out for help. One day each of you will find yourselves alone. Se
keshakoala
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011 07:24:40 AM »

I just purchased a White 7340 Speedylock on Ebay but it did not come with a manual, if you still have yours, would you be willing to share a copy with me?  I have been hunting the internet trying to find one with no luck, if you could help you would be my hero.  Please let me know.  Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can You Plump Your Lips With Hawaiian Punch?
Does Whitening Your Teeth With Strawberries Really Work?
Beauty Secrets from Hong Kong
How To Make A Face Powder
How To Contour And Elongate Your Face and Nose
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...