A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nice seam and it's ugly step-sister  (Read 517 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Imagine
« on: May 17, 2010 07:48:58 AM »

Hi Craftsters!

I'm knitting these adorable elf shoes for my niece (I'm going to call them either fairy shoes or princess shoes though, she's such a girly girl!)

Anyway, I've knitted another pair of these for a swap but I keep getting the same problem: I have one nice seam on one side and one very ugly seam on the other side. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm following the pattern...

Nice seam:

It gets botchy near the end, I think that's just because I didn't have a lot of stitches left on my needles and they were far apart.

Ugly seam:

Look at that! That's the other side of the SAME shoe. From my experience, after the fulling, this is going to look like a purled seam, with little bumps.

Here is the pattern. It seems to be only available on Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/dls/flint-knits--pamela-wynne/25973?filename=elf_shoes.pdf
I don't know if you can access it if you're not logged into Ravelry.

In case some of you can't see it, here's the part of the pattern at cause here:
Divide the sts in half on your needles: half for the sole and half for the instep. Knit across all
the sole sts. Wrap the next st (the first st of the instep) and turn.
*P across all the sole sts. Wrap the next st (the first st of the instep) and turn.
K across all the sole sts.
K together the first 2 sts of the instep, k to last 2 sts of the instep, ssk.
K together the first 2 sts of the sole, k to last 2 sts of the sole, ssk. Wrap next st (the first st of the
instep) and turn.
Repeat from * until 8 sts remain4 for the instep and 4 for the sole. K2tog, ssk, k2tog, ssk.

The "wrapping" is described as:
w&t: Wrap and turn.
From the right (knit) side:
Slip the next st purlwise. Bring yarn to the front of your work. Slip the slipped st back to the left needle and return the yarn to the back of your work. Turn.
From the wrong (purl) side:
Slip the next st purlwise. Bring the yarn to the back of your work. Slip the slipped st back to the left needle and bring the yarn to the front of your work. Turn.

Can anybody tell what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much in advance!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010 07:49:49 AM by Imagine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010 09:43:41 AM »

Well they don't tell you to do it, but where you say you get something like a purl bump in the end product, are you picking up the wraps when you knit the wrapped stitches? If I'm following the pattern properly the wrapped stitch ends up on the bottom in the k2tog and ssk so you'd expect them to be hidden but it does make what looks like a purl bump on the wrapped stitch.

As for the general looseness, that's why I switched to Japanese short rows, my wrapped stitches always ended up messy on just one side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Imagine
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010 07:15:44 PM »

No I wasn't picking them up for the toe part. They say to do it for the heel part. I'll try to pick them up for the second shoe. Thanks for your input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Reads of the Summer
Dear Virgin America by Annie Choi
Inspiring Quotes from Nelson Mandela
Between the Pages of The Murmurings With Carly Anne West
Atria Authors Love Book Bloggers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...