A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hot Dog! It's a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake! PIC Juicy!  (Read 12927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soakbonus
« on: May 16, 2010 09:13:13 PM »

For my son's third birthday, I decided to make him a 3D Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake.  After researching on the internet (where else?) I thought I would try to make the pieces out of rice krispy treats and cover them with fondant.  This cake took me about a week, more, if you figure in the practice pieces I made the week before.  I made the rice krispy pieces on Tuesday, covered them in fondant on Wednesday, baked the cakes on Thursday, iced and decorated the cake and all finishing touches on Friday for the party on Saturday.  Also, I made my own rice krispy treats and frosting.  I used the Wilton fondant and cake mixes.  I didn't feel brave enough to try making my own fondant.

Front of the cake.  The cake was two 11"x13" cakes put together.  One was butter pecan, the other was cinnamon swirl.  It was frosted with buttercream.  The bunches of grass were made using the grass tip.  The stars are sprinkles.

Close-up of the head.  It is made out of rice krispy treats covered in black fondant.  Not as perfectly smooth as I would have liked, but pretty good.  The ears are stuck to the head with wooden dowels.  The head stays on top of the pants using a wooden dowel pushed through to the cake board.

The shoe door to the clubhouse, also made out of rice krispy treats covered in yellow fondant.  The details are also fondant except for the black windows and door knob which are made from black icing.

The pants of the clubhouse, made from chocolate cake using the Wilton sports ball pan.  It was iced with buttercream, then covered in red fondant.  The windows are fondant with black icing piped on.  The slide is made from rice krispy treats and covered in blue fondant.

The glove balloon was made from rice krispy treats, then covered in black and white fondant.  The red door is also fondant.  It is held onto the board with a wooden dowel.

Back side of the cake.

The shoe garage made from rice krispy treats and covered in yellow fondant with fondant details.

So-so dog house carved from a cupcake, then covered in blue fondant with a black fondant door.

Picnic table made from the top of a cupcake and covered in yellow fondant.  The blue cushions are also fondant.

View from the top.

The cake after putting the plastic characters on.  They are arranged where they stand in the intro theme to the show.  Minnie is behind the glove balloon.

Top view with characters.

My son with his cake!  He is wearing the shirt I appliqued with a "3" on it using Mickey Mouse fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010 09:20:08 PM »

OH my DD Loves Mickey Mouse! This cake is amazing! Definately hitting this rocks for ya! I soooo want to copy this, but her bday isn't until January. The hot air balloon(the large glove to those of you who don't have toddlers who are mad about mickey!) is my favorite part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Megzy818
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happily married to my best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010 09:48:12 PM »

It's the Mickey Mouse club house come inside it's fun inside! Hot diggety dog what a cake! This is totally awesome, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud ARMY brat and NAVY Wife!!! 08/05/08
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1414000172&ref=profile
Hippos are my favorite Smiley
shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010 11:05:15 PM »

Amazing!! Very creative! I'm sure your little guy loved it and alll the other moms were jealous...Or you got cake orders Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
mandys08

and a helluva engineer!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010 04:10:15 AM »

this is so great! very well done. Did you color white wilton fondant yourself, or does it come in those colors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TMommy
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010 07:10:19 AM »

I love it! Nice job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting since birth
soakbonus
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010 08:13:41 AM »

You can buy small boxes of the Wilton fondant in primary colors and black, but I colored the white because I knew I would use a lot.  It took a long time to make that much black.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandys08

and a helluva engineer!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010 08:24:21 AM »

You can buy small boxes of the Wilton fondant in primary colors and black, but I colored the white because I knew I would use a lot.  It took a long time to make that much black.  Smiley

yeah. wow thats impressive. coloring the frosting is my least favorite part of cake decorating. and black drives me insane! it seems like it takes sooo much to get a true black. and of course it always gets all over my hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pickled Mung Bean Sprouts Recipe
Baked Apple Recipe
Flank Steak and Wraps
Flank Steak and Wraps Recipe - Part 1
Chocolate Sticky Buns with Chef Jehangir Mehta at Graffiti
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...