I'm late to the party here, but I'm totally buying this pile of flesh -- I have the most delicious beautiful pink embroidered fabric to use for this. If all goes well (must...sew...muslin!), it will be PERFECT for a summer wedding....of which I have no less than FOUR to attend.
Thanks to everyone who posted previously in this thread -- I'm inspired!
EDIT 7/28/06: Okay, I bought the Simplicity 4581 instead, and made a mockup of it in old sheet material (picture removed). I also had to gather part of the skirt to attach it to the midriff piece, and I will avoid that in the final version by taking in the skirt on the front, and letting it out a bit on the back. I think.
It may be more work than I'll be ready for, and I might just gather it gently around the whole front midriff. Aaaggghhhhhh. Who knows.
EDIT 8/31/06: OMGGGGG I FINALLY FINISHED IT! I actually finished it two Saturdays ago, but here it is!!! I am so pleased with how it turned out! It was pretty easy once I figured out how to modify the top and midriff pieces to fit me on top, and attach to the skirt at the same time! Not such an easy task when you're a 12 on top and an 18 on bottom!
But this is the final product -- I ended up doing it in (very soft!) pink polyester with red embroidered flowers, and Bemberg rayon lining -- I lined it fully instead of just the bodice piece, as the pink poly is see-through!
(And yes, I'm slouching so the dress makes me look, eerrrmmm, a little bit thick around the middle. Note to self: stand up straight in pictures!!)
And if you can see it -- my added personal touch was that I used leftover fabric to make my boyfriend a pocket square for his suit!