A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,746
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How about Simplicity 4998  (Read 15381 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005 01:41:35 PM »

oh woah! I just made that dress.. without the ugly ties.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005 09:37:50 PM »

PurpleHeart - I would definitely try at least the top with a sheet first since you have some sizing to do.  I have no idea on how to help with that! Is there a post on sizing patterns up somewhere around here? I know there is one for sizing down to an A cup and below.  Smiley  I've made some of my successful "experiments" in sizing the top halves of dresses into tops.  One was a crazy quilt looking one because I used scraps from 5 projects to get enough fabric to test my resizing. 

Skye691- You're right. Those ties are not good.  I bet there are only a very few people who can pull them off without looking strange.  The model would not be one of them.  Tongue

Pattern is now cut out and here's hoping I haven't messed it up yet because I am low on extra fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005 11:43:09 AM »

as soon as I get my term paper done, I have a Mickey Mouse sheet I want to turn into that dress. If I was working on my term paper now, i'd be closer to done and could start....I'm such a slacker....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
xXcherrie-lynnXx
aka Pink Kittie

Just Let Me Craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005 08:38:39 AM »

My progress so far....it dosen't look too flattering pinned there to the chair.  I need to bring in the top a bit, and i need to hem it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005 08:04:24 AM »

I love that fabric. My local fabric shop has loads of great new summery prints but my mum wouldn't let me stop and browse. I'm hoping that they will be reduced near the end of the season, but I guess they're not too bad a price (2 per metre = approx. $4 a yard)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
xXcherrie-lynnXx
aka Pink Kittie

Just Let Me Craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005 10:48:39 AM »

i finished my dress today!  I'm wearing it tonight to my hubby's graduation thing at his union hall in philly.  I don't have a pic right now, but soon.  Just wanted to update.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2005 10:03:59 PM »

so I went with a similar pattern by McCalls cuz it went on sale. Except now I hate it. *Pout pout* It sounds like this pattern is much easier. So sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2005 11:43:44 PM »

I just sort of had a flash, and was considering making this dress out of pvc. How strange would that look? or would it be as rad as I think it w*ould be?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005 08:25:24 AM »

this dress would prob look quite cool, but it wouldn't be very practical for summer.

There are some people making the McCall's equivalent (I think) on another thread if the method is much different
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
BelindaPsychobilly
Nebulous Psychocratix Redemption

Can't get more clean cut and all-American.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005 08:48:24 AM »

of course u can!  Cheesy

Great!  So what do I do.  Just sew the dress together, and post pics?  Or do we move at a certain pace?  (I'm new at this -- and sewing for that matter!)

Anyhow, now I guess I just have to chose what kind of fabric I want to use. 

I have a black and white flowery type (The same stuff used in the pattern pic) But it's stretchy, and i'm afraid of it! lol And I have this cool pinkish red stuff.  It's not so stretchy, so I might go with that one.  Pic of fabric below.   Also, I see this pattern wants a zipper.  I feel a slight ting of nervousness coming on... Embarrassed

Zippers make me nervous too, but what my mom does is she lightly bastes (I think? I don't know if you can "lightly" baste anything...) the zipper in place and then sews it. I guess it makes it much easier?

I don't know if that's really old advice or not... I'm relatively new to sewing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 02:22:15 PM by meleriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can I interest you in some push-up inserts?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 2/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 19/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 10/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 14/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 9/13
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...