A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jeans for my GF (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 28428 times)
Tags for this thread: jeans , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phoquess
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010 07:54:48 PM »

Those are incredible and so well made! I'm in love with the back belt-loop. ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bleedingfingertips
Life enjoying engineer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010 12:30:27 AM »

First, once again, thank you all for your kind words. I showed the replys to my GF and she was really smiling wide when she read the posts. Especially the ones that mention her as sexy and cute. (Don't mention it too often though, she only gets too much of that unbearable superior attitude against me Cheesy ) Nah, jokes aside, both of us really appreciates everything you write.

Words escape me.  I've seen what happens when men sew, though, and it is usually pretty amazing, like these totally rockin jeans.  I can well imagine an industrial machine was a joy to use in this case. 
I've sewn a pair of jeans on an old Singer slant machine, a 403A - and it did okay.  But, I think one of the older, straight needle machines might have better piercing power than the slant - at least that is what I've heard.  I'm looking at old Viking 6010's and 6020's that accept thick bobbin thread without adjustment.   
Again, these are simply the most amazing jeans I have ever seen in m life.   

To be honest, I don't have so much experience with other sewing machines than the ones I have now. I know that too thick bobbin thread makes my Janome MC6600P whine a little.

The following lines is a little of topic but.. well.. I can't controll my "typing devil" as I should Smiley

When it comes to piercing power, IMHO it is not so much of an issue for denim itself, but when you have two lines of topstitches over a folded, serged edge and you need to cross it, then the problems begin. For example the "crotch cross", hems and zipper area. Then the fabric is fixed to a "massive" piece of thick fabric. This kind of sewing can be done on a household machine but many times the needles is simply too tiny and you have to be very easy on hand when "hand turning" this stitches. And many times the fabric warps and the seams gets out of line.

I got fed up with this almost immediately and went of to buy my industrial "thick fabric" machine. It is completely useless to anything but straight lockstitching. But straight lockstitching (95% of a pair of jeans) is like sewing in butter. No matter how many layers or other seams it crosses.

This is a test strip I use to finetune thread tension when I reload the machine with a new thread. It is first 4 layer, then folded to 12 layer, then back to 4 layer again. The fabric is 16oz denim. I doubt that my Janome can eat this strip without alot of whineing.

Another thing that IMHO is a key to straight seams is to pin, serge, then topstitch. Then if the serging is done straight, it is no problem putting the topstitches straight. So for a guy like me, a really childish machine fetishist obsessed with denim an jeans fashion, a really powerful serger was the choice.

I fed the above test strip in my serger so I could balance the thread tensions even and it is (like with the lockstitch machine) like serging in butter. This again, can ofcource be made in a normal household machine with normal zig-zag, cutting, and basting. But if you (like me) are planning a lot of jeans and denim clothing a good serger really contributes to make the seams straight.

Another thing I DIY:ed that really helped to make things alot easier was the "feeding board". It is a piece of really smooth MDF scavenged from an old running machine. This board is to "extend" the sergers board and makes feeding the serger so much easier and smoother.

Ah.. machinetalk.. Cool I get the feeling I am drifting of topic again, I always have a tendency to do that Smiley. My point is, if you are planning a lot of jeans and denim projects, go for heavy gear. The layers of denim have a tendencey to really bulk up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010 12:37:45 AM by bleedingfingertips » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always trying to improve my needle skills to prevent my fingertips from bleeding..

Armed with a needle.. but no needle in my arm.
roccstarr75
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010 09:05:21 AM »

HA! The jeans are great, but seriously....I'm drooling over the machines!  I am rarely jealous of other people's abilities cuz I rock some pretty great talent myself, but.... oh the toys!!!!  I have a pretty decenrt machine and serger, but the word "industrial" just gets me everytime!    hahahaaaaa!   keep up the good work!  And I hope you're taking notes on these jeans you make, you could seriously get a line going and launch your own brand.  You could market them to all the girls who tend to be leaner and less curvy (like your GF) kinda like how Applebottom jeans are for girls that have a lot of booty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
southernstitcher

Proud citizen of the Who Dat Nation!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010 10:24:07 AM »

I love the machine talk too!  Thanks for the pics of your serger set up.  I'm getting a table for flatbed sewing and serging too.  I wondered if the serging would be worthwhile.  Now seeing yours I guess it will be. 
Special jeans for straight figures:  I've seen them at Lane Bryant, and I can fit into the smalles size.  But yes, someone needs to design jeans for not just the straight, but also Flat Bottomed Girls among us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are interested in making me some knitted dishcloths, contact me for a swap!  I'll sew you something or gift you with supplies!

When life hands you green velvet, make a green velvet dress.

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/southernstitcher
mainyy
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010 01:44:03 PM »

Those jeans fit her perfectly! So much better than trying to find the PERFECT jeans at the store.  Was worth the effort. (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuietChampion
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010 03:07:12 PM »

Bang-up bluejeans, batman!
I've never seen this back beltloop variant before today, but I love the look.
I have this adoration/obsession/fetish for flat felled seams, and blue-jeans never cease to satisfy me. The topstitching, here... it's just perfect.

The details, oooooh the details! I could stare at these jeans for days and days and days.

In short, I find these jeans to be delightfully rugged, with all the class I'd expect from a "special-occasions" pair of trousers. Bravo!

Just a note, here: I found your "off-topic" machine rant to be VERY interesting. I haven't checked yet, but do you have a blog? If so, I may have already found it, but on the off-chance I haven't... I would really appreciate a link.
If you don't have a blog, may I recommend a course of action?  Start one, you fool! The sewing community needs an archive of these thoughts, of yours. They're great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010 04:06:25 PM »

Ooh I love seeing the machine/stitches. I had to hem a pair yesterday that were way too long for me and my machine could barely handle sewing one fold through jean fabric on the inside seams. Someday when I'm a bit more skilled I'll invest in a good machinevor two Wink oh just because I wanted to say this in my earlier comment and forgot the belt loops are AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010 04:42:24 PM »

Gorgeous work! I'm stunned that these are home sewn and not some name brand mass product. Then again- name brand mass product doesn't come close to having this much styleWink Those heavy duty machines may have been expensive, but I'd say you're making it worth what you paid! What talent!  Smiley

Looking forward to seeing more of your designs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
bleedingfingertips
Life enjoying engineer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010 05:07:21 AM »

I have this adoration/obsession/fetish for flat felled seams, and blue-jeans never cease to satisfy me. The topstitching, here... it's just perfect.

The details, oooooh the details! I could stare at these jeans for days and days and days.

In short, I find these jeans to be delightfully rugged, with all the class I'd expect from a "special-occasions" pair of trousers. Bravo!

Just a note, here: I found your "off-topic" machine rant to be VERY interesting. I haven't checked yet, but do you have a blog? If so, I may have already found it, but on the off-chance I haven't... I would really appreciate a link.
If you don't have a blog, may I recommend a course of action?  Start one, you fool! The sewing community needs an archive of these thoughts, of yours. They're great!

Thank you for the really kind words! (And ofcource all other people that have feed this thread with so much great feedback)

I would love to have a blog, but as I am in China for work all blogsites like twitter, youtube, blogspot, facebook and similar is unfortunately unaccessible. I think I will document the process of my forthcoming creations better. Then kind of "blogtutorial" present them here instead. I mean, not just concentrate on the project but also mention the up and downs, good and bad attempts and some tips and tricks from my experiences.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always trying to improve my needle skills to prevent my fingertips from bleeding..

Armed with a needle.. but no needle in my arm.
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010 07:45:32 AM »

Thank you for the really kind words! (And ofcource all other people that have feed this thread with so much great feedback)

I would love to have a blog, but as I am in China for work all blogsites like twitter, youtube, blogspot, facebook and similar is unfortunately unaccessible. I think I will document the process of my forthcoming creations better. Then kind of "blogtutorial" present them here instead. I mean, not just concentrate on the project but also mention the up and downs, good and bad attempts and some tips and tricks from my experiences.

I would love that.  I found the machine talk fascinating too...and its giving me some ideas on how I would like my idea craft area (my husband is going to build it, I just need to give him some more ideas)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Lesson - Color Chapter 1
Painting Lesson - Seeing Color & Value
Learn About "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee" by Dali
How to Classically Oil Paint - Part 2
How to Classically Oil Paint - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...