A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,676
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jeans for my GF (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 28197 times)
Tags for this thread: jeans , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bleedingfingertips
Life enjoying engineer

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2010 12:47:00 AM »

After a lot of testing, fitting, sketching, turning and twisting my first jeans project is finished. My girlfriend wanted a classy looking bootcut jeans to wear with her high heels. I wanted to make a pair of tough, distressed, more trashy looking jeans. So the final result is a mix between my style and my girfriends ideas. I was not easy to make a pair of classy looking thrashy jeans Smiley

Well, here they are.

This is my GF with her new jeans from the front.

And this is the rear view.

The detalis of the back. The flap pockets is made of the same fabric but inside out. All inside out fabric is stitched in pink thread instead of the white used for all other seams. I think this adds a little to the classy look even if the flap pockets itself is to make them look more tough.

The embroidery on the back pockets is made with khaki coloured thread with a piece of "scrap canvas" inbetween. After the embroidery was finished and the canvas was trimmed and unraveled the back pockets get this look.

The belt loops is a little different than other jeans. They are ending in a "arrow" like shape with a stylish cross rivet attached to them, also with a piece of unraveled canvas inbetween. I just felt that this jeans are getting more and more cute instead of tough so they needed some special details to toughen them up a little.

Also, the back belt loop is a semidetached style of loop. One reason for this was that the belt stays better in place with a wide back loop. The other reason was that they needed something to "stand out" or "catch eyes".

Another view from the rear. The "jeans ass" look was very important for my GF so this is the result after numerous limes of ripping, basting, fitting, ripping, basting, fitting... As my GF has a pretty straight body type I wanted to add some illusion of a little wider butt. Hence the assymetrical pocketflaps. The buttons on the flaps is therefore wider apart and this adds to the impression of a wider butt. The buttons is snapbuttons (the same as the front) with a snakeskin pattern on them.

This is the detail of the frontpockets. The coinpocket has a small flap over it. I just thought it was a cool detail so I added it. The snapbutton is the same as the back and also the rivets are the same snakeskin style. I added some inside out fabric to the front pockets and topstiched them in pink. The shape of the inside out fabric gives the jeans a little more edgy look i think.

Here you can see the shape of the front pockets clearly. They have a somewhat "stretched" shape. I knew already before starting with this jeans that I really would like to do back pocket style front pockets. So the shape of the frontpockets is to add to the tougher style of these jeans.

The three snap buttons is a little different detail. We had a lot of discussion about this area. I wanted to do a wider waistband with the buttons in a vertical line, more brazilian style looking. My GF thought this was a better idea, and after I see how they turned out she was actually right.

After looking at most of my jeans in my closet I found out that most jeans only have one line of stitches to end them. I don´t know why but I really liked the idea of two rows of topstiches. So I made them that way Smiley

And then some random pictures of the jeans from different angles.

As always, C&C is more than welcomed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010 12:55:04 AM by bleedingfingertips » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always trying to improve my needle skills to prevent my fingertips from bleeding..

Armed with a needle.. but no needle in my arm.
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010 12:53:30 AM »

Wow! Amazing details, and amazing fit! Your GF is very lucky to get custom-made designer jeans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
Riechan
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010 12:56:03 AM »

wow! that jeans is gorgeous!! she's indeed very lucky Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
donnevita

I reject your reality and subsitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010 02:16:29 AM »

These are amazing! Luckiest girl ever! I love the belt loop at the back... its unique and funky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dont do what you cant undo, until youve considered what you cant do once youve done it." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

http://bubbleswithlub.blogspot.com/

http://www.bubbleswithlub.etsy.com/
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010 02:23:23 AM »

Definitely jealous of any girl that gets custom designed jeans.  And even more jealous that my boyfriend doesn't have awesome jean making skills - even if it was just to teach me about it!

What a great fit!  I heard that denim is a difficult fabric to work with so I've been to gun-shy to try but kudos on your sick jeans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkDaisy
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010 02:53:32 AM »

Those are amazing! I am in awe of your skills.

I sure wish my boyfriend could make me some super cool jeans like those! Unfortunately, he can hardly sew a button back into place.  Tongue

Anyway, very, very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Jewelry/Plus Size Clothing Etsy:  http://etsy.com/shop/alibuttonsdesigns

My fatshion blog: http://alibuttons.blogspot.com/
Indiana
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010 03:25:26 AM »

These jeans are crazy-awesome! How cool are you! Wow, you sure have some fantastic sewing skills. I'm hitting "this rocks" for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010 04:20:34 AM »

Awesome jeans! There's nothing better than a custom fit and all the details you put into these are fantastic. The end result is exactly like you guys wanted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010 06:13:41 AM »

very impressive! i've tried to make jeans before and they fit okay, but these are much more amazing than anything i've ever made! i think nice looking jeans are such hard work! great details really make your work look professional.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
dbrewer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010 06:29:15 AM »

Cheesy I would totally buy those jeans if I saw them at the store! Awesome job on all the details!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They call me D-nice
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Legendary Brown Hotel Hot Brown
Kentucky Derby Bourbon Balls Recipe
Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Making An Easy Breakfast Sandwich With Chef Tiffany Derry
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...