A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felting with Great Pyr Dog fur?  (Read 1046 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

damedremel
« on: September 12, 2010 08:52:08 AM »

So I have 2 Great Pyrennes dogs - I have had 1 bag for their fur from one shedding - I understand that a person can spin and knit their fur - which is really like wool - when out in the rain they do smell like wet sweaters. My question can a person felt with it and perhaps even dye it. Would love some feedback on this - I am intrigued with the idea of felting soaps and wanting to use the dog fur if I can - an almost free crafting material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010 02:50:15 AM »

Dye, yes. Spin, weave, knit, crochet, tatt, etc. - you betcha! Felt, not so easily. Wool felts easily because it has microscopic barbs along the length of the strand of the hair. Great Pyrenees fur doesn't have those. Think the shampoo/conditioner ads you used to see all over, where the "close-up" picture of the damaged hair is covered in scales and it's next to the close-up of hair improved by the products, which is smooth - that's the difference. You CAN felt with it (for goodness' sakes, have you paid attention to the mats they get behind their ears?) but it's not very easy.

(Has a great pyr too.)  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

damedremel
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010 11:26:06 PM »

Well they say there are no stupid questions - so there still is the smallest of possibilities of mixing a small percentage of fur into wool before dyeing and felting. I imagine the same is true of Alpaca - my neighbour gifted me with a large garbage bag from "Watson's" shearing this Spring. I am gathering the necessary items together to try my hand at spinning with a drop spindle one of these days.
Don't think "fur matted soap" would be too appealing .... lol !!
Thanks for taking the time to screw in the lightbulb for me - appreciated - very much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010 09:31:06 AM »

You could needlefelt it pretty easily.   Longer, softer dog/cat hair needlefelts pretty well.  It's the shorter, harder stuff that is a problem.  If it's too difficult, blend it with some wool, but I imagine it would be fine the way it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Soften Skin with Surface Blur in Photoshop
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 User Interface Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...