A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Strapless Dress Ideas/Help?  (Read 1036 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UnstableKitten
« on: May 15, 2010 11:35:46 AM »

Alrighty folks, so I got this most excellent peice of fabric and I've decided I want to make a strapless dress with it. Now, problems lie in that it's a panel type of fabric, with a single image thing going on (if that makes any sense to you) and also I'm not the best at sewing.

I've been scouring the internets and having trouble finding a pattern/tutorial for an easy strapless dress that wouldn't require me to really cut or change the fabric too much. I'd also like to put a zipper into the back of it. So I figured I'd come to you lovely folks who might have some rocking ideas. I greatly appreciate any help you can give. Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010 11:45:26 AM »

Any chance it has one color that really stands out a lot?  Instead of using it to make the whole dress, you could make a strapless bodice and then gather or pleat the skirt out of a length of this material to attach at the waist.  This is my favorite strapless pattern, since it doesn't require boning, and is pretty versatile:  http://butterick.mccall.com/b4443-products-5395.php?page_id=155  You could modify the skirt to be a gathered or pleated rectangle, too, to preserve your pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
UnstableKitten
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010 12:00:38 PM »

Hm, this would probably help. A picture of my excellent fabric.

It comes down to about my knees for length aprox. I'm thinking it'd be a wonderful dress with some hemming, tightening and adding a zipper so I can still fit into it. But yeah, the picture would need to stay as is and any slack would be taken from top, bottom and sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010 01:16:11 PM »

Haha, yeah, not the sort of panel I was thinking of!  I honestly don't know what you could do to make it into a dress without touching the picture, though.  Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
dana_h
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010 04:30:36 PM »

Cool Harry Potter fabric! Shocked
maybe these can help-
http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=791
http://sewingrepublic.com/projectPdf/scarf_dress.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't mess with the pie ho(le)
UnstableKitten
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010 12:39:42 PM »

So, I've accepted that it'll be impossible to make this into a dress without cutting it. I'm wondering now how I can sew it together keeping the image as imagey as possible? The internet seems to not be able to find anything on lining up fabric, like you would do for stripes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annaloves
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010 01:45:29 PM »

THAT IS THE COOLEST FABRIC I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU FIND THAT?!
Anyways, you could make a le sac dress, as you can wear it strapless. Instead of cutting out a rectangle, simply sew the one edge and only make one slit [this will make more sense after you look at the tute] or if its not big enough for that, use that panel and another panel of solid or something to make it wide enough. Here's the tute for it, and I made the tute so if you have any questions just let me know. It's a really easy dress to sew and there are sooo many ways to wear it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annaloves
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010 06:08:30 PM »

You could also just put a peice of elastic at the top and one right under bust for shaping so it'd just be a square tube but gathered above and below your bust so its fitted
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010 06:53:26 PM »

the le sac dress only looks good out of very drapey fabrics. The ones I have seen out of cotton weaves look like....bad. I don't think this is the best fabric to make a tube dress out of, you might want to use it for something else, for fear of cutting your fabric, and ending up in an awful dress. You didn't say what the fiber of weave was, but it looks like the quilting panels. Those are best left to blankets and such. I learned the hard way what fabrics are best for what, and in the process, ruined A LOT of projects, and fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
annaloves
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010 08:20:25 PM »

I realized I forgot to post the tute. Here it is
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=307579.0
I would like to point out that the flowery one I made in the tute is a thicker cotton weave and I like it just as much if not more than the drapey fabrics because the skirt holds its shape and i like bigger skirts, but it would all depend on your fashion taste I suppose. I would also like to point out, if you make a le sac dress, it would not require you to cut your fabric if you only made one slit, you would just sew the back seam together and skip cutting it in half. Then if you don't like it, you can just unpick it and have the exact same thing you started with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are the Best Long Hair Wedding Hairstyles?
How To Do A Quick And Easy Messy Bun
40s Inspired Hairstyles at Carolina Herrera Fall 2013 Show
Summer Hair Care Tips For Moms
Cut Down Your Morning Routine With the Best Dry Shampoos
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...