A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,905
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What 'commercial' or 'hobbiest' machine should I buy for Vinyl Hemming?  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HappySewLucky
Happy Sew Lucky covered in Shamrock Green Silk

That cat makes everything look better..

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2010 03:46:18 PM »

Digitally printed vinyl banners.

I need to hem them. So far the biggest 'name' I keep seeing in my research for 'commercial' machines is Juki. But.. Do I really 'need' a commercial machine to sew straight stitches through heavyweight material?

Discuss!

And thanks in advance for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sometimes dream of glorious fabrics only to wake, run to to my stash, and realize it's time for a trip to the fabric store...
ming
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010 04:46:09 PM »

What's your budget and are you planning to use this machine for something else eventually?

Vintage machines like the Singer 201/15-91 are fantastic with heavier weighted material. You can also look into current straight stitch machines like the Juki-TL98 or the Janome 1600P series (there are 4 models with slight variations, the DB, DBX, QC, and 1600P).

To help you distinguish between all name differentiations, here is a post from Jenny at Sew-Classic:

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/13/industrial-commercial-grade-professional-industrial-strength--more--sewing-machine-buying-guide.aspx

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010 08:16:40 PM »

How much vinyl hemming are you planning on doing?  Are you talking about getting a machine capable of hemming vinyl, or one capable of hemming vinyl day in and day out for years on end?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garen
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010 06:55:49 PM »

I recently started sewing heavy materials, 500 and 1000 denier pu coated cordura nylon and heavy webbing.  I started with a singer 15-91 that I bought for fairly cheap off of craigslist.  I love that little heavy black machine.  If you can find one, it should serve pretty well for a basic hem on vinyl. 

Having said that, after about 4 projects I found the limitations of my singer and decided to upgrade to an industrial machine.  I picked up a tacsew 111-115, which is an updated copy of the singer 111w115 machine and it is very awesome for what I'm doing.  Its a walking foot needle feed machine and it will pretty much sew anything i can fit under the foot.  And with the knee lift, thats a bit over half inch.  Cant say enough good things about this machine.  It only does straight stitches in forward and reverse but if you're in need of a heavy lock stitch machine its a great one, and a lot less expensive than a juki.  I picked mine up from an ebay seller called sewing gold, and it was about $950 shipped including table, thread stand, light and three quarter horse power servo motor.  You can get one with a clutch motor for about $100 less but the servo is a lot more controllable because you can set the speed where you want it.  Sewing Gold is run by great people, the guy I have dealt with couldn't have been nicer.

An equivalent machine in a juki or consew is at least 500 dollars more. 

But pick up an old singer and give it a try.  I'm not getting rid of my 15-91 any time soon, thats for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eodril

Armed and Dangerous

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010 02:07:05 AM »

What happens when you try to sew the vinyl on your current machine?  I tried some vinyl and found that the foot was sticking to the vinyl and creating a mess, so I went to Joann's and got a foot with rollers on it.  It worked perfectly.  It also handles leather beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make a Message in a Bottle
How to Make Popup Valentine Card
How to Make Glittering Valentine Buckles
Crafting with Joan Rivers and Martha Stewart
Fringing a Cashmere Blanket
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...