A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flower Garden Applique Baby Quilt  (Read 1179 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blue_skiesMN
« on: May 14, 2010 10:01:20 AM »

Another item removed from the "to be finished" pile!

I started this several months ago, and worked on it side-by-side with another applique quilt (a kangaroo). Thanks to some sick time this week (that part sucked actually), and the fact that both babies are now born, I managed to finish them both.

I did the applique with a raw edge, using Lite Steam a Seam to place the pieces. I think in the future I might use a narrower zig-zag stitch.

I love the way the design turned out, but I am less than happy with the quilting. My original intent was to hand-quilt it, but I chickened out at the last minute. I haven't mastered free motion quilting, and I didn't think that stitching straight lines across the flowers would look very good. On other quilts, I have started and stopped the lines on either side of the applique, but there were too many pieces to this one to try to attempt that. I finally decided to sew little pinwheel shapes into it all over. They're still straight lines (therefore "manageable"), but they would fit into the spaces between the flowers.

I was having a million problems with my tension. The top thread is visible on the back side. I tried a thousand things... new bobbin, rethreading, upper thread tension, bobbin tension, new needle... I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I finally gave up trying to troubleshoot and just accepted that it's not going to be perfect.

Some closeups - sorry for the crap quality of the photos. I didn't realize they were so bad until I uploaded them... by that point they were already in the mail.

An embroidered butterfly

The backing fabric

Hopefully the baby and her mom won't mind the imperfections  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010 11:12:13 AM »

I think the mom will be too impressed by the work done to notice imperfections and the baby will think, "Hey, this is soft. I like." But be too hard on yourself. It's a wonderful quilt. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Bobomom
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010 11:19:56 AM »

I love the flowers! I think it came out really pretty. As crafters, we are our own worst critics and notice all the stuff most people would never see!  This would make a really pretty wallhanging too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krafty119
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010 02:34:52 PM »

I LOVE this quilt!!!! love it! I don't see a darn thing but beauty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vintagegirl90
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010 12:53:54 AM »

this is gorgeous!

those flowers look amazing, i like that they're all different. and that backing fabric is beautiful especially combined with the edge fabric. I can see all the little details you've put into it-- looks great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firsttimegranny
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010 12:19:45 PM »

OK, This quilt just made me happy when I looked at. I relly like that kind of applique, and I love the butterfly. the quilting, well just all of it. Don't be to hard on yourself. I am sure the mom and baby will adore it. I know I do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingerquilts
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010 05:30:19 PM »

Love the big bright flowers on that lovely shade of blue!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010 06:11:18 PM »

Love this!  What mistakes?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

timecrafter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010 08:09:09 AM »

So fresh looking! Makes me happy just looking at it.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mell0phone
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010 03:37:28 PM »

I think it came out beautiful!! I looove the colors you chose! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Tamarind
What is Sambal
What Are Panko Breadcrumbs
What is Palm Sugar
What Are Pandan Leaves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...