A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,084
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Manly" tentacle heating pad/ice pack/bed warmer (with small text tutorial!)  (Read 9467 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , heat_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HisTechnoAngel
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010 07:18:38 PM »

great tutorial- I've been looking at these for awhile! Like the tentacle- that's just awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sibyll
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010 01:23:45 PM »

How does it smell? I know the rice ones kind of smell like... cooked rice. When I have a headache, scent is not a good thing, so I want one that's unscented (no oils, herbs, etc.). I'd like to make one, but I don't know what to put in it that's truly unscented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnny_heck

"Behind every successful woman is herself."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010 10:02:01 AM »

I love this.  Great for the BF who is too tough to use an ice pack, but not too tough to complain about aches and sorenesses Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
applesandpumpkins

Kissing cats and making things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010 03:13:04 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the tutorial! I know of a few men in my family who would love one of these for Christmas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somnambuchatter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010 03:15:34 PM »

GREAT project!!! I really appreciate it b/c I'm always looking at those rice ones in the stores, but scoff at the price for what's, well, basically a bag of rice! [@] *scoff scoff*

I know my mom would LOVE to have something like this (she is *always* cold!), but she'd *never* spend $$$ on herself; and she hates it when us (poor) kids spend $$$ on her. [~]  Now she can have one and won't have to give me a hard time about spending $$$ on her (and I won't have to! [_~])

I also *love* the "leftover fabric" idea! I always have something around that I *had* to buy b/c it was *so* cute... but then can never think of what to do with it [x] I'm def set with "leftovers!"

Two questions and two thoughts:

Q1 (probably a stupid one [?]) -- When I first read tutorial I thought it said "used lentils"--we're talking about them straight out of the bag, right?
Q2 -- I have some fleece stuff. Soft and warm on it is. But--as I'm fabric ignorant--isn't that made of something nylon/poly/plastic-y that might melt? (k--NOW I'm pretty sure that's the stupid question [_,])

(not sure you want any "thoughts" from me at this point, [x] but)

T1 -- While reading through the tutorial, I had been thinking about mix-n-matching different size beans too. But then I thought that they might likely shift all around (and even shaking might not redistribute them [o]) Do you think it would work/help if little "sections" were sewn across the width; maybe every 5 or 6 inches?
T2 -- I'm going to make my mom one for work and one for home; then she won't have to carry it back and forth!

Thanks again *so much* for the great project and tutorial! [v]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dark Desires
Dabbler Extraordinaire

Proud Mommy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010 07:14:15 AM »

Wonderful idea!  Any idea if essential oils would last for a while through the microwave cycle, or if you'de have to refresh them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone can be a friend!
Valledaisy
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010 07:29:09 AM »

I did some testing on what works best for hot and cold packs using the natural ingredients. The linseed oil in Flax Seed  is what helps retain the heat/cold longer. Rice will retain heat and make a great pack but over time it degrades becoming dry and flaky and develops an odor. Buckwheat also has linseed for the same properties as Flax Seed. Lentils retain cold the longest of the dried legumes with Great Northern Beans coming in close second. All dried beans seem to retain heat nicely.

I've made foot packs before where I've used 1 part rice to 2 parts mixed dried beans.
Eye Pillows with 2 parts flax seed, 1 part lentils and 1 part buckwheat berries.
Neck Pillows 2 parts flax seed, 2 parts rice, 1 part buckwheat
Hand Warmers 1 part flax, 1 part rice, 1 part dried beans/legumes

You can scent them all with herbs and oils. I like to add dried flora for a light scent.

Love the octopus tentacle.

Flax Seed can be a little expensive but I did find it in one pound bags at Dillon's for $4 and when mixed with other cost effective ingredients does go a long long way. The flax seed tends to settle to the bottom as it's small and slippery so if you make a mix stir often before filling and give your pillow a good shake a shake a ... I personally like it resting when I use my eye pack it lets the other ingredients be the insulators.

Great Tute!!

CHERRY PITS: My Childhood farm had cherry trees and as a teen I made all sorts of goodies with cherries and at one point pits. I used them for a pillow in home economics. I didn't scent them but they did develop their own unusual scent over a short period of time. As I remember it being requested to be removed from my locker. I was just thinking though I don't believe I did anything other than was the pits and let them air dry. I imagine giving them a fair soak and then a spritz rinse of bleach water would kill of anything that may cause them to start being odoriferous then let them dry. I may have to test that out here in the spring when I start pitting cherries again. Would love to know how it works out for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All you need is Peace, Love and a little bit of imagination.
Valledaisy
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010 07:32:33 AM »

I had a lavender herbal pillow made of buckwheat that I had six years and never had to rescent it faded over the years but always smelled softly of lavender. I use Lavender Leaves from my lavender plants in the mix they last a long time and smell wonderfully adding a few drops of lavender essential oils made it kind of over powering but it seems to be settling down.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

All you need is Peace, Love and a little bit of imagination.
tamratoo
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010 12:41:46 PM »

Thank you! I have been trying to think up last minute gifts for 3 guys and this will work perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlytattoos
The Crafty Tattooist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010 11:22:08 PM »

Great Idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Spot Healing Brush Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Composite with the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Pushing Pixels with the Smudge Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Sponge Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...