A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hitching a ride on Etsy’s fame. Creating an Etsy shop will save you more time  (Read 954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

timothyadam
« on: May 13, 2010 09:14:23 PM »

Starting a business is hard enough, but finding a place to sell your products is much harder than creating products. As I have told fellow crafters, 70% to 85% of a crafter’s time is used on selling and marketing rather than creating.

I know for a fact that we crafters love to create, create, create and hope that someone will sell our products for us. If we had our ways, we’d just create and nothing else. But it is also in our traits that we tend to do everything ourselves for frugality reasons or simply because we like DIY. So how can we cut back on marketing cost and marketing time so that we can do the things that we love to do?

Simple, if you can’t afford to make your own website right now, create one under Etsy.Com and hitch a ride on its fame. So why Etsy.Com?

Let’s take a close look on what Etsy.Com is. Etsy was founded by Rob Kalin, Chris Maguire, Haim Schoppik and Jared Tarbell in June, 2005. Since then, it has been growing, growing and growing. Increasing sales each month, gathering more customers and sellers each day.

So why choose Etsy over creating your own website? Etsy is a community, because it allows us to meet and interact with fellow crafters, artists, designers, and buyers from around the world. It creates a feeling of being part of a team unlike being on your own when you have your own website. It is a company that allows crafters to sell items in their site while they strive and work to gather customers to bring to their website. In layman’s term, Etsy is a building, and we sellers are the ones who rent their spaces inside the building with a minimal fee.

Why choose Etsy? Why not create your own building (website) and earn everything through there? I’m not hindering you from doing that but I want you to see the perks of being in Etsy first. People already know this website. There’s traffic. Tons and Tons of traffic. Not only are your targets the regular buyers of Etsy but also the sellers who prefer buying handmade products than commercial ones. Just selling on Etsy.Com gives customers a feeling of knowing that it’s Handmade. Because of Etsy’s popularity all over the world, you are already being branded as an Etsy Seller, giving you the feeling of being in an elite club.

Just like in fishing, we try to locate the ideal places to fish. The sea, the lake, the river. Etsy is like a man-made lake filled with tons and tons of fish. And throughout the times, Etsy is doing their best to take care of these fish and add more fish into their man-made lake. Etsy is making most of their efforts finding ways to get more traffic into their website. Advertising, marketing, promoting and so on. When they do this, it saves us a few hours from marketing our products since they are already bringing in people to their site.

Doesn’t it feel like we’re hitching a ride? Well, maybe so, but why not? If we get to do what we love to do most: create.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010 01:24:11 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMalaprop
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010 05:06:28 PM »

I have a stand-alone e-commerce website where I sell both my own work and handmade work by others, but I agree, Etsy is not to be overlooked, even by someone like me! I look at Etsy as another form of marketing myself and my work. I try to participate in the forums there when I'm able and I add my own products to Etsy as a means to get the word out there to a different audience about my goods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hong Kong Egg Tarts
How to Make Sambal and Coconut Rice
Asian Style Seared Duck Breast
Stinky Tofu in Hong Kong
How to Make Thai Cabbage Salad
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...