A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home-made yoghurt  (Read 3281 times)
Tags for this thread: yogurt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blottedcopybook
Broke it. What can I use it for?

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2010 11:21:50 AM »

I have four kids who take yoghurt for lunch most days, a husband who has been put on a healthy diet and me. The amount of money we spend every week on yoghurt - and the associated amount of plastic waste - really offends me! So I decided to do something about it and made my own yoghurt in the slow cooker.

I did it in the slow cooker rather than the oven because I have a gas oven and I find it more difficult to regulate the temperature. Also, it could be worth noting that I'm in Scotland so the things I used may not be accessible in other countries.

I put 2.2 litres of semi-skimmed milk into my slow cooker and turned it on low for three hours. I switched it off and left it to sit for two hours and at this point I also took a small pot of live natural yoghurt out of the fridge to let it come to room temperature.
After two hours I whisked the natural yoghurt quickly into the milk and replaced the lid of the slow cooker. I covered it with a few teatowels and went to bed.
Next morning I decanted it into some kilner jars and it's goooood! My only criticism is that it's really runny which is not what I'm used to, but store yoghurt has thickeners added to it and I'm trying to do the healthy thing. I've read that you can add dried milk powder to your milk to make your yoghurt thicker but it didn't really bother me so I left it Smiley

I've been eating it like this - with some homemade muesli and a small spoonful of honey. It's amazing!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 11:23:20 AM by blottedcopybook » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melazdee
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010 11:42:31 AM »

looks delicious! My husband and I both take yogurt daily to work and we use it as a substitute for sour cream so i might try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
envirocraft
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010 12:24:29 PM »

I make mine own at home too.  My mom actually has a "yogurt maker", which just consists of glass jars that you place in a thing that heats them a little.  Same sort of thing as the slow cooker.  The milk powder will help with the consistency, other things that might help are the amount of time you let it 'cook', or the temperature of the milk when you add the yogurt (if it's too hot it'll kill the active bacteria in the yogurt), the milk should be room temperature-ish, if you test it on your wrist it shouldn't feel hot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
blottedcopybook
Broke it. What can I use it for?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010 01:06:58 PM »

A yoghurt maker would be awesome but I have the tiniest kitchen in the world. I think I might try the powdered milk next time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coralia
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010 01:56:02 PM »

I like the idea of using the slow cooker instead of an oven - much easier. The yogurt maker my dad passed down to me holds about a liter of liquid and is pretty compact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010 07:33:31 PM »

I make this exact recipe!  I love it so much better than what I purchased at the store.  It is a bit thinner but I use it to make fruity smoothies during the warm months or a quick to go breakfast drink...it is easy and lasts forever in the fridge (if you don't eat it up!)--be sure to save a cup from each batch to add to your next one!

It does get thicker the longer it is in the fridge..or, you can strain it to make a greek type yogurt...

Good for you for thinking of those plastic containers!  Healthy and eco-friendly...

I tried the powdered milk to make it thicker and did not like the taste or the texture...once I mix fruit in it, it seems fine and in dressings, I like it thin...yummy--I am making another batch this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
rossie
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010 11:12:50 PM »

Home made yoghurt is a real treat.  Good on you for having a go - and such great results! 

You can strain it through a cheesecloth to get a thicker, sweeter yoghurt.  An hour or two of straining makes a big difference; you don't have to keep it dripping in the sink until all you have left is quark Smiley  Plus the liquid that drains off is gorgeous in baking- it makes the fluffiest scones!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
lydiaharper
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010 04:25:05 PM »

So, if you strain it to get a thicker yogurt, you can use the liquid for baking?  Do you just replace the milk in the recipe with the yogurt liquid?  What kind of taste does it give to the baked foods?  Like is it kinda sweet or sour?  Better to use it in sweet or savory baking (biscuits vs scones or cookies vs bread)?  Thanks!

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shinypinkbubbles
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010 05:42:00 PM »

I just thought I would tell you that I became so obsessed with the idea of making my own yoghurt after seeing all your pictures that I bought a yoghurt maker last week! It was only AUD20 so I'll probably make the money back in about a week, very excited about it! Thanks for the inspiration  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lydiaharper
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010 11:38:30 AM »

I made some a couple of days ago.  I LOVE it! I used whole milk, and strained it to make it nice and thick.  Without any sweetener it's kinda like sour cream.  I added honey, and was in heaven!

Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Serve a Bacon Roly Poly
How to Stuff Mini Quesadillas
How to Heat Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
How to Cook Fantastic Turkey Au Gratin with Sherry
How to Cook Extra Sweet Thanksgiving Yams
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...