A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas to fundraise for vet bills!?  (Read 1289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlyssaKnits

Formerly Thatkid

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2010 10:33:52 AM »

I just got a puppy 2 1/2 weeks ago. She's almost 3 months old. She came here sick, regurgitating all of her food and not gaining weight. The vet bills are already huge, and we don't even know whats wrong with her yet.
SO, I need ideas of what to make & sell to pay off the bills!

My mother owns a grooming/boarding shop of her own and I can sell stuff there- I'm thinking bows and dog treats- what other dog-ish items could i make that would be cheap to make but bring in some money?? I have a small stash of fabric, ribbon, etc,etc. that i'll use to save money but I'm not sure what dog-ish things i should make- I have lots of yarn and my best craft is knitting.

If anyone has any ideas i'd really appreciate hearing them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Changed my username, Formerly Thatkid!
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010 09:29:42 PM »

Bows and bandanas with a little sleeve on the back for a collar to slip through. Maybe freezer stencil or potato-stamp onto some of the bandanas things like "Princess," diamonds like are printed on those ridiculously expensive hoodies, dog bones, paw prints, maybe cute sayings like "Ankle Biter" or "Give Me Treats." Bows can be made out of really special fabrics, like taffeta. It doesn't take much fabric, but you want them to look really good.

You say your biggest craft is knitting, so maybe some leashes? Most small dogs don't need a hefty leash, so a knitted wool or acrylic one would be fine. You'd need to buy a bag of those clip things to put on the end, but I've actually seen a bag of 10 pieces for $2. Knitted flowers with a collar sleeve on the back would also be cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010 03:22:25 AM »

I was just thinking of this today. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a non profit that helped with vet bills? If there's not one out there, maybe I should start one. Can you knit little sweaters? Collars, charms, maybe some cards. A carrier for plastic bags. Little sew blankets-there is  a thread on this board about people who make little blankets and pads for shelters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010 06:32:49 PM »

I was just thinking of this today. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a non profit that helped with vet bills? If there's not one out there, maybe I should start one. Can you knit little sweaters? Collars, charms, maybe some cards. A carrier for plastic bags. Little sew blankets-there is  a thread on this board about people who make little blankets and pads for shelters.
We are lucky here our vets have a "fund" that people pay into and it helps pay vet bills for the elderly Smiley they have free services for some and are very good...I have to say last year I saw an older lady at the vet crying over her kitty. I was trying to mind my own business but could not any longer..I walked out ot my car and called back into the vet to not embarrass her and her bill was 225.00 I charged it to my card and the girls told her that a cat lover paid a bill so that if this happened a kitty would not be put down Smiley I never felt so good...I never wanted her to know I paid it I funny enough see her all the time...she is my neighbor on the street behind me...WHO KNEW....Karma will come back on us one day

This poor woman was in her 80's and a contractor took all her money and did not fix her house so she had to hire someone else to do the work and they did the same thing with shoddy work so she had no money to pay for the cats issue...

Also we have a thrift shop that the funds pay for medical care on a case by case for owners Smiley they cant pay for everyone but some can get help and the vets here will work with people
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010 08:36:19 AM »

That is wonderful of you. What a great idea to have a thrift store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
kali_akash
Proud, in a modest, non-hubris kinda way :)

Are those turkey vultures? Wait, are you a zombie

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010 03:59:18 PM »

How about woven leashes? I use some heavy-duty cord and do a flat weave, or a square-knot, or various other ones. You can jazz them up by painting the leash after you finish, or by incorporating larger pony beads, etc. I find that these leashes, because of the larger cord, has a high strength and doesn't break. I use something like the twine here: http://bit.ly/aV3LiC and make simple knot weaves for a high quality leash.

What I would do:
1) Measure out your twine. I would use about double of how long you want your finished product to be, until you figure out a good rule of thumb for how much you'll actually use. I would do three to fivestrands on average, I find this makes a thin but effective leash.

2) Then fold it in the middle and start making the handle; five inches from the middle, start to braid all the strands together, either in a three-piece traditional braid or by doing an all-strand braid (will give rough tute below). Do this until you've got about ten inches of braid. Do NOT make knots at either end.

3) Now you've got between six and ten strands of string. Lay them flat on whatever surface you're working on (I usually use something I can poke a good hole through, like a spare piece of wood to nail on). Secure your handle, I nail a big nail into said piece of wood at an angle to hold the handle and to keep things together. I find this a good way to do this, especially if you're sitting--use a board long enough that you can hold it and keep THAT secure and not moving, or else you'll get a really loose product! (Which might not be a bad thing, depending on your own preferences.)

4) Start to braid all the strands together. For a flat-ish braid using all the strands, check below. You can certainly do a traditional three-piece braid like you did for the handle, or make square knots on the twine strands. Either is perfectly fine, and if you can do any other knots or braids, feel free to do it! Either way you do it, keep your twine taut and controlled, or you'll get a mess.

5) When you're down toward the end, get your heavy-gauge latch (what you'll use to secure your leash to the dog collar--available at hardware stores, online, or in your craft stores) and thread it through your twine. I find that by separating out the individual strands into two equal piles and threading the latch onto one pile, you can do some great knots to end the leash. I'd just make sure that they are tight, as flush to the latch as possible, and that you further secure your knot by adding super glue or hot glue to keep it tight. Trim any excess cord.

Voila! A leash! Like I said, you can paint your leash with pet-safe paint, like most acrylic paints. Let it dry and then you have a beautiful, home-made dog leash. Smiley

Short tute in Microsoft Paint (pic and text, sorry it's messy)

Like I said, attach the latch after you've got your braid done, knot and glue it together, and trim excess cord. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to a personal swap for a good sleep mask!!! Inquire within the PM box!
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010 04:45:16 PM »

I saw thatkid's post on the puppy having megaesophagus. Not sure if puppy made it, but for the reference of others, here's a list of ideas and resources if you can't afford your vet bills: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

I decoupaged a clicker and plastic bag holder once, that was pretty fun. I thought about trying a few to sell but haven't done it yet. Breed specific jewelry with pet's names (for people to wear) has been a good seller for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
AlyssaKnits

Formerly Thatkid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010 05:39:31 PM »

Thanks guys! That leash looks cool, i might have to make some! it'd be cute to do one in a ton of colors.
My puppy was put to sleep over a month ago, and I have a new little nutcase to raise now LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Changed my username, Formerly Thatkid!
kali_akash
Proud, in a modest, non-hubris kinda way :)

Are those turkey vultures? Wait, are you a zombie

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010 06:41:57 PM »

Thanks guys! That leash looks cool, i might have to make some! it'd be cute to do one in a ton of colors.
My puppy was put to sleep over a month ago, and I have a new little nutcase to raise now LOL.

I'm sorry about your puppy, but glad you've got another one! Yeah, the braiding is super easy once you get the hang of it. I can do it almost while sleeping (trying to do this at about 3AM counts as almost unconscious, right? Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to a personal swap for a good sleep mask!!! Inquire within the PM box!
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010 11:09:34 AM »

Pet beds?  Especially if you knit or even know how to sew simple stuff.  Just simple quilted pads would work, especially in cute colors, or with pawprint or bone/fish/whatever appliques sewn on.  This would work especially well if you live in an area with heavy winters.  Our four dogs are always stealing space on the couch, snuggling in our pillows, and hiding in the dirty laundry basket, even.  They love warm, cuddly things as much as we do Smiley

Hope everything goes well for your puppy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Shrimp Stir Fry
How to Make Shrimp Spring Rolls
Shrimp on Sweet Rice
Shrimp, with Green Chives, Bamboo Shoots, and Wood Ear Mushrooms
Salmon with Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...