A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butternut Ice Cream  (Read 1059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: May 12, 2010 09:37:28 PM »

I subscribe to a CSA and I am head over heels in love with it... except for one little thing. The butternut squash. I've really tried to like it, and it's okay baked into muffins, but for the most part I just can not stand butternut. It must be a bumper year for butternuts because I have a stock pile of them collecting in my kitchen. It was completely out of hand, so on a quest to use the squash, I came across a fantastic food blog - Not Eating Out In New York. If you like food blogs, I highly recommend you check this one out. I am smitten. I love the recipes, the DIY attitude and the farm postings. Her ice cream recipes in particular look amazing. I can't wait to try the chai tea ice cream.

So, armed with my ice cream maker and butternut puree from my freezer, I set about to make this recipe for Rum Butternut Ice Cream, minus the rum. (We were out and I didn't feel like making a trip to the store for a single teaspoon of rum.) Other than omitting the rum, I only changed a couple things from the original recipe. I strained the custard mixture to remove any lumps and chilled it in the fridge over night before putting it into the ice cream maker. It came out amazingly well. It tasted just like smooth, frosty pumpkin pie topped with lots of whipped cream. The only thing I will do differently next time is to cut down on the amount of white sugar. The butternut has a lot of natural sugars already and I prefer ice cream that isn't super sweet. But over all, it really is excellent ice cream and I'm thrilled that I've added a winter squash recipe to my arsenal.

*ps. I copied this from my new blog, so it's a little wordy. Sorry! Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010 10:48:25 PM »

That looks so yum!!!!! Im addicted to making icecream... the most favourite in our house are grape hubba bubba and peppermint crisp with vanilla bean!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010 06:14:26 AM »

i have been thinking of joining a CSA, hmmmmmmmmmm. i was just thinking about that last night, and i thought to myself, it would be so much more fun to cook because youd have to deal with the hand your dealt so youd have to get creative at times! heres proof! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010 03:52:24 PM »

dropoffradar, CSAs are a lot of fun! They really do challenge you to be more creative in the kitchen. One of my favorite things is how the produce changes as the seasons change. I get so excited when the first cherries or asparagus or melons arrive!

Bellazeus, your ice cream flavors sound delicious! What do you put in grape hubba bubba?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010 04:06:34 AM »

grape hubba bubba Tongue you put it in with the milk and let it sit for an hour and then strain the bubble gum out!! can get messy but is so worth it!! Smiley Can do it with any bubblegum! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
BThans
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010 10:41:39 PM »

This looks great! Thanks for sharing :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lighter Yangzhou Fried Rice Recipe
How to Make Deep-Fried Spicy Tuna Rolls
Homemade Sesame Noodle Recipe
How to Make Curry Shrimp Rice Noodles
How to Make a Bengal Tiger Lentil Curry and Spinach Raita
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...