A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 315,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wanting to become a frugal vegan- help!  (Read 1771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

achatahava
« on: May 12, 2010 08:10:40 PM »

Gimme yo' recipes  Tongue haha, jk. I am interested in becoming vegan, but I'm kinda strapped for cash so I'm looking for some good, but inexpensive recipes. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010 08:18:52 AM »

What kind of foods do you like?  There are so many options!  You can't go wrong with combinations of veggies, beans and grains.  Prepared foods like veggie burgers are more expensive, so save those for when you're really in a rush.  Or learn to make your own and freeze them.

For general inspiration, I would recommend checking out a few cookbooks from your local library, if they are available - a couple good ones are Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker (I think all the recipes can be made vegan, too), and Veganomicon.  The slow cooker one is perfect because so many of the recipes require mostly pantry staples (beans, canned tomatoes, onions, etc).  If you don't have a slow cooker, the recipes can probably be adapted to stovetop, with adjustments in liquid amounts.  Also, www.vegweb.com is a great website for vegan recipes, and their forum has reviews of lots of vegan cookbooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Fly-By-Knit

Crafting Under The Influence

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010 02:06:15 PM »

I'd suggest the PDQ Vegetarian Cookbook, by Donna Klein. Fast, simple, family sized meals that reheat well for tomorrow (And the rest of the week, if there's only one person eating it. Carnivores, sigh.)

Also, as less of a recipe than a tip, rice and other grains soak up the water they're cooked in. Flavoring the water (I like to steep a cinamon stick and a little garlic) before cooking the rice in it can give the rice a subtle flavour. It also makes the kitchen smell great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Moose

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010 02:29:56 PM »

Peta has a strapped-for-cash college student's vegan cookbook out, though I haven't tried it myself.

My suggestions are these: Buy in bulk, especially spices, rice and beans-- cook big batches of beans in the slowcooker and save some for later. Also, watch what veggies are in season, and don't be afraid to substitute veggies you got on sale for those in the recipe book. It'll still be delicious Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

★ Vegan Quaker Queer ★

My Etsy | Art Blog
Trekky
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010 08:02:41 AM »

Hello

It is easy to be a frugal veggie/vegan, buy veggies in season (so they are cheap!), bulk buy lentils, beans, rice etc, and check out chinese supermarkets for tofu (usually a lot cheaper than the regular supermarket).  What can cost is branded meat/dairy subsitutes so buy these to use as treats & in the meantime learn how to cook with lentils / beans etc.

Some vegan frugal recipies can be found at the 'frugal living in the UK' website here.

Good luck Smiley

Trekky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
missmuffcake

creepy + cute

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010 01:37:37 PM »

Beans are cheap, even canned organic beans can be found at the $1 store. Try hitting up farmer's markets to get in season (cheaper) produce. I love the bulk bins. Stay away from packaged foods unless it is tofu, tofu should cost no more that $1.90 a box (at least in my area)...Spices are good, get better quality so you need to use less and still have great flavor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
schnerby
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010 09:39:44 PM »

Think bread and soups - cheap, hearty and filling. I've got a pot of French onion soup on now, and I used onions, water, garlic, soy sauce (very French, I know!  Cheesy) olive oil, spices and a little wine. It's so yummy.
Also, there are few foods I love more than roasted veggies blended into soup. Garlic and pumpkin are the only constants in my soup. Anything else goes!

Rice porridge (congee, zang, jook...) is a great meal. 3tbs rice with 1 litre (2 pints, 4 cups) of water. Bring it to the boil then slowly simmer. It goes thick and yummy. You can add pretty much any flavouring.
- sweet: Brown sugar and cinnamon, poached fruit
- savoury: leftover soups, lentils, onions, spices, pasta sauce, veggies, whatever
My favourites are green lentil porridge and leftover Italian-style pasta sauce porridge.

Stews also rock
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabbitheartedd
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010 05:01:00 PM »

The best way to be frugal about veganism is to realize that you need to eat good, whole foods--veggies, fruits, grains, etc--instead of pre-packaged vegan meals.  It's impossible to be a cheap vegan if you can't or won't cook.  Start small, with salads and stir-fries before graduating to harder things.  Soups are FANTASTIC for the cheap vegan, as you can make a lot of food without a lot of ingredients, and you can freeze whatever you don't eat for an easy meal later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My art jewelry tumblr: F Yeah Art Jewelry
My personal tumblr: Rabbit-Heartedd
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Jennifer Garner Shares the Secret to Her Glowing Skin
Summer 2015 Makeup Trends
Stars Dazzle at Met Gala... And That Rihanna Dress
How to Make an Anti-Aging Ice Cube Facial
Make Your Morning Makeup Routine Faster!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...