A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another week, Another bunch of Kanzashi! (pic monstrosity)  (Read 2224 times)
Tags for this thread: kanzashi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TastyMagic
« on: May 12, 2010 04:36:45 PM »

I can't stop! I'm at that point now where I'm ordering findings wholesale so I'll have something to attach the flowers to. I think I know what everyone's getting for Christmas this year. LOL

A 2 color brooch. I think this one turned out OK, but I do have a few of the 2 color blooms that look stupid. I think picking colors from the same part of the color wheel looks best.

This one's a hair pick. For the center I glued a rhinestone on top of a button.

and we're starting with the rings. I think it's my favorite thing to do with these guys. the center is a sequin with a seed bead in the hole.

this pic is kinda of blurry but the center is 3 tiny gold sequins

maybe it's my monitor but this ring actually looks more teal in person than green. the center is a gold sequin with a bunch of seed beads in it

YELLOW!! I love the yellow ones. The center is made of a bundle of butter yellow floral stamen

we're getting really crazy on this one. 2 different color petals AND 2 different shapes. the center is a rhinestone inside of a large sequin

this kind is made by layering 2 pieces of fabric on top of each other and then folding them up so the outside is one color and the inside is another. Center is a rhinestone inside a sequin.

simple teal, the center is a yellow rhinestone.

a little orange hair pin. Stacked buttons in the center

burgundy daisy! button center (obviously  Tongue)

burgundy hair pin with pointed petals, wood bead center.

beige brooch with an ornate metal button center. The fabric this guy is made out of is a little thinner that the rest. hence, the wonky folds. I still like it, though

happy flower print brooch! There's something satisfying about a flower made out of floral fabric. It's like everything comes full circle.... Yay orange button!!

this one's a ring. Winter white floral stamen in the center.

this one's made of purple satin (oooooh!) with a golden plastic button center. I made a brooch out of this same material for my partner in the Quick and Easy swap.

Aaaaaaand one more ring. 2 colors again pointy leafs of 2 different sizes. sequin and seed bead center.

Whew! That was a lot of kanzashi! I think I need a snack now....I'm going to go get a cookie. C&C welcome.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end the crafts you take are equal to the crafts you make

Visit my etsy shop! preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'blossomandblooms.etsy.com')
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010 04:45:30 PM »

Gorgouse!  Nice colour choices Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
YumJello01

Cats make for furry crafts

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010 05:09:43 PM »

I am wisting ALLLLLL of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for book page paper flowers for my sister's wedding!  Will do personal swaps/swaps for supplies (available listed here) Thanks!

http://pinterest.com/yumjello01/
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010 05:16:38 AM »

I love them, especially the rings! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
StringingFool
Everything goes better with beads.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010 07:02:50 AM »

Some more exquisite work!

One question, though. I have read several tutorials on making these, and some are almost contradictory.

One says use thin fabric and starch the heck out of it, another does not mention starch, and uses what looks like thicker fabrics.

Then there is the glue or stitch question. Do you glue the petals, then stitch the flower? Glue all of it? Stitch all of it?

I'm getting anxious just thinking about it! (That, and I have not had my hand on a can of spray starch in twenty five years, or so....)  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
TastyMagic
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010 08:17:31 AM »

thanks for the kind words everyone!

One says use thin fabric and starch the heck out of it, another does not mention starch, and uses what looks like thicker fabrics.

Then there is the glue or stitch question. Do you glue the petals, then stitch the flower? Glue all of it? Stitch all of it?

Well, I don't use any fabric starch, just a regular iron. The most important fold is the initial diagonal fold so I guess if you wanted a really crisp line you could use spray starch. It also might be useful if you use a fabric that doesn't hold a crease. I have used all kinds of fabric to make these from heavy weight upholstery and suitings to light weight silk and even a stretch netting once.

I fold each petal and string it directly onto the thread that will form the flower later. The only time I use glue is to glue a circle of fabric on  the back. I have heard of using glue to stick the petals together but usually only when they are made of vinyl or leather or some other material that is not needle friendly.

I would say if you're just starting out, the quilting section of the fabric store is your friend. Fat quarters are inexpensive, are fabrics that are easy to work with, and come in any color you could want!

One of these days, I'll get myself together enough to make a tutorial myself.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end the crafts you take are equal to the crafts you make

Visit my etsy shop! preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'blossomandblooms.etsy.com')
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010 11:09:59 AM »

rings?! how smart are you?! LOVE that idea! all of these are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Little Mary Jane Booty Instep Tip
The Disadvantage of Loom Knitting
The Basics of Hat Loom Knitting
Pin Wheel Stitching Comparison
How to Start Knitting on a Ring Loom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...