A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your favorite salad toppings/ingredients?  (Read 9121 times)
Tags for this thread: salad , salad_toppings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunshineravioli

Loves and Snuggles!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010 09:41:06 AM »

Everyone's salads sound amazing! The great thing about salads is they're so versatile. Here's a few of my favorites:

Salad greens - if I get a mix from my CSA, I'll use that. Otherwise I stick to softer texted greens, like butter lettuce and red leaf lettuce. I also love arugula and spinach.

Stuff I like on my salad:
- pomegranate seeds - add a bit of sweet/sour crunch, great in the fall
- goat cheese - crumbled, goes great with sweet ingredients
- craisins - dried sweetened cranberries
- chicken - pound a breast flat, coat it in dried herbs, cook over medium high heat, 4 minutes per side, chop it up and serve on the salad
- toasted walnuts
- canned artichoke hearts
- black olives
- chickpeas
- kidney beans
- tuna
- avocado
- sliced apples or pears
- strawberries and balsamic vinegar - especially good with spinach
- tahini dressing (aka goddess dressing)
- homemade croutons - super easy and way better than the store bought kind. I like making mine spicy with worchestershire sauce and tabasco.

One of my favorite combos (I make it whenever I bring a salad to some one's house) is a good salad mix with dried cranberries, walnuts, crumbled goat cheese and a dijon, balsamic vinaigrette.

Another good combo - one of my favorite restaurant salads - spinach with artichoke hearts, alfalfa sprouts, black olives, feta, grated carrots, veggie "bacon" bits and tahini dressing. Yum! So good!

Holla for strawberries and balsamic vinegar, as well as goat cheese (or other crumbly cheeses like feta and bleu). I can't get over Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette lately-- it's from a smallish company and potentially hard to find, but I've seen it all over the Pacific Northwest at least.

My all-time favorite, though, is Johnny's Salad Elegance Seasoning Mix. Guaranteed to induce mouth-gasms on salads, in homemade dressings, or on bread. It's a family secret, though, so nobody tell my mum...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010 12:53:35 PM »

I am really loving the apple-blue cheese-cranberries-candied walnuts combo (with balsamic dressing -- can't go wrong) that is popular now.  Pears work too.

Non-greens based, what about broccoli salad?  golden raisins, shredded cheddar, red onions, mayo & vinegar...I can't get enough, but it's def. not everyone's cup of tea.

MareMare, what is the ratio of water:vinegar you use with your cuc's? (if it's not a secret, of course).  My aunt used to bring this to family picnics, and it was my favorite, but I can't seem to replicate it (asking her is sadly no longer an option).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010 12:58:26 PM »

Honestly, I just fill it up mostly with vinegar and add a little water. Maybe 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water, but it's pretty loosey goosey! And my preference is apple cider vinegar and white vinegar mixed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010 12:59:06 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
dreadlocklove
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010 01:56:06 PM »

I'm currently enjoying dark leafy greens, either blackberries or strawberries, slivered almonds, goat cheese, and poppy seed dressing.

I can't wait to harvest some dandelion greens and add those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010 06:23:47 PM »

Honestly, I just fill it up mostly with vinegar and add a little water. Maybe 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water, but it's pretty loosey goosey! And my preference is apple cider vinegar and white vinegar mixed.

Thanks!  That seems to be the consensus...I think that's why I can't replicate it.  But the 3:1 does help!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010 07:38:33 PM »

Cauliflower salad is a perennial favorite here: Iceberg, cauliflower, white onion and sweet peas if you like, with a dressing of mayo, sweetener & Parmesan & bacon bits. I think this is sometimes called 7 layer salad.

Another favorite: red slaw. It uses red cabbage, red onion, dried cranberries, and a dressing that includes vinegar and red berry jam.

My personal favorite: greens, cilantro, shredded carrot, Colby or cheddar, and French or Catalina (Western is my fav) dressing. Also good with sunflower seeds.

Anything with greens, mandarin oranges, dried berries, and soft white cheese, especially with chicken or shrimp. Add a raspberry vinaigrette and you're good. Another good dressing for this type of salad is mayo mixed with vinegar & sugar (a basic slaw dressing).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010 04:34:54 PM »

I don't like lettuce either, unless it's mache. That is nice and soft.

When I go to Sweet Tomatoes, a salad bar restaurant, I make a bed of shredded carrot, radish, jicama and zucchini, then put whatever else on top. It's tasty and doesn't feel weird in your mouth like lettuce does.

Shrimp salad made of bell peppers, lemon, shrimp, herbs and olive oil is good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
Chikita-Elise
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010 10:37:11 AM »

I like the curly lettuce or the spring mix lettuce. Sometimes( if I have it on had) I will had bunches of fresh parsley.
for topping, I put coloured peppers (orange and yellow), brocoli, romanesco (it's like cauliflower but its rare and hard to find), rasberry, cuccumber, shredded carrots, sometimes hot pepper, walnuts, feta cheese, garlic croutons, it really depends on what I have in my fridge.

My sister used to make a really nice salad. It was with spring mix lettuce, mango, marinated chiken breast, yellow and orange pepper. and she brought some maple and dijon mustard salad dressing (something like that for the dessing, it was supermarket brought)

But I have a nice salad dressing( or two) that I picked up a few years ago.
the first one: you mix extra virgin olive oil, with  dijon mustard, a tip of balsamic, salt & pepper and some fresh lemon juice.

the second one is about the same. extra olive oil, balsamic salt pepper and lemon juice.

these dressing are amazing with salad that has fruits in them like rasberry, strawberry and apple
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010 11:36:03 AM »

I love a pasta salad with just chicken, asparagus, lemon juice and pesto. Very fresh tasting is also a couscous, lemon, broccoli and red bell pepper. Black olives optional for both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010 10:46:43 AM »

I can't wait to harvest some dandelion greens and add those!
How can you tell if a dandelion green is good for eating?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Visit to Cork and Brew Restaurant in Liberty, MO
Galaxy Restaurant in Wadsworth, OH
Tips For Cooking With Apples
Dulce De Leche Cheesecake Recipe
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...