A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your favorite salad toppings/ingredients?  (Read 9032 times)
Tags for this thread: salad , salad_toppings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bunyanka
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010 12:05:22 AM »

I did a quick search and no one has suggested dried (or fresh) apricots!

when i get all salad fancy, I like to slice up a few dried apricots, throw some walnuts, and maybe a goat cheese or a feta with some type of balsamic vinaigrette over spring mix (salad mix, baby greens, whatever)

cranberries, almonds, ground flax..also good. I'll have to try that vinegar cucumber thing, sounds good! I like to sometimes pretend I can actually cook and try to balance flavors instead of being lazy and just piling on one dressing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010 12:18:30 AM »

I am so glad everyone is sharing! I will definitely come back to this thread when I get into a salad rut.

For a Mexican flavor inspired salad I like to add shredded cheddar, drained/rinsed canned pinto beans or black beans, sliced avocado, chopped tomato, and salsa to my regular veggies.

For a Thai Flavor inspired salad I add cilantro and peanuts. Yum!

Anyone have some more non-green salad based salads? I've seen a few mentioned and would love to have some more ideas, my mom gets really sick of lettuce salads. I love tomatoes and cucumbers together with a little sliced red onion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
mitchell-b

currently knitting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010 12:23:50 AM »

I like Greek style salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, feta cheese, black olives and green chili peppers in it. I use a mixture of herb vinegar, cold pressed olive oil, a little bit of mustard, onions, salt and pepper as a dressing.

Also, I really like the Italian "insalata caprese" with sliced tomatoes, a good buffalo mozzarella in slabs and basil leaves. The original calls for olive oil, salt and pepper and nothing else, but I like to add a diced onion and additional to the olive oil I add balsamic vinegar, which is my favorite vinegar besides herb vinegar ;-)

And another non-green salad: I like to cut two or three really ripe red bell peppers to little dices and add diced Gouda cheese and an onion. Salt, pepper, olive oil and white vinegar (or herb vinegar, if you like) make the dressing. I know, it sounds bland. I wasn't delighted when I saw my mum making it for the first time, but I really liked the taste. You should use a good Gouda though. A medium aged would do best I think. And don't eat it right away. It tastes best when you let it sit in the fridge overnight or at least for a couple of hours.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 12:33:53 AM by mitchell-b » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melvinator

It's a miracle!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010 08:47:45 AM »

My favorite salad goes like this:

Spring mix
Mandarin oranges
Sliced almonds
Water chestnuts
Diced red onion
Those crunchy noodles you find in the asian food aisle (to replace croutons)
Grilled or sauteed chicken (or marinated grilled tofu)
Asian sesame dressing

Oh my goodness it is delicious. It's kind of like one Wendy's used to have but stopped carrying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyanidejoy
haphazard seamstress

I am the fluffy singularity.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010 11:55:07 AM »

I like salads very sweet- my favorite has cut apples, dried cranberries, feta cheese, pecans or sunflower seeds, carrots, and raspberry or blueberry vinaigrette.  You could put red onions but they're not my thing.

My mom likes them really rich- she does those salad wedges where you cut a head of lettuce in four, then ranch/blue cheese dressing on top with bacon, croutons, and tomatoes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They'll name a city after us-and later say it's all our fault.
Better_Mans_Wishlist

"I want you to trust me"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010 02:44:36 PM »

My parents have a HUGE garden so whenever I visit, my mom always has lots of veggies to put in it.  I love fresh basil, lettuce, cut up tomatoes (my mom removes the mucousy part for me..eww), onions, cucumbers, raw mushrooms, and shredded carrots all of which are grown by my parents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are what we love, not what loves us."
- Charlie Kaufman, Adaptation
batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010 02:48:04 PM »

I also love the classic fresh tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella.

Anther awesome combo: endive, pears, pecans, blue cheese, and fresh ground pepper, drizzled with a little olive oil. Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
McJulie-O
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010 05:55:28 PM »

Anyone have some more non-green salad based salads? I've seen a few mentioned and would love to have some more ideas, my mom gets really sick of lettuce salads. I love tomatoes and cucumbers together with a little sliced red onion.

My favorite: shredded carrots/raisins/pineapple salad- I could eat it until my eyes bubbled!

And that fresh tomato + basil + onion + mozzarella tossed together is very good, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010 12:57:27 AM »

Soy beans/edamame in a salad with a dash of soy and sesame oil. Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010 02:53:22 AM »

I love Pioneer Woman's Asian Noodle Salad. I do my own version of it with broiled, marinated tofu and soba with lots of veggies, but I follow her dressing recipe. It's so yummy!

hmmm.... what else... not sure if this counts, but I've been really into potato salad lately. It's weird because I always used to hate it but now I kind of love it. I also really like bean salads - like for picnics. It's pretty much just a variety of beans (I like kidney beans, chickpeas and green beans) with vinegar, spices and some onions.  Oh! and another random one... shrimp with avocado and grapefruit. I like to add a little spice to this one, like some chili powder on the shrimp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
How to Use Quilting Cotton in Sewing Projects
How to Use Jersey in Sewing Projects
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
How to Sew an Overlock Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...