A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Notebooks From Greeting Cards (Tutorial)  (Read 4565 times)
Tags for this thread: notebook , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 11, 2010 01:34:41 PM »

These pretty little handmade notebooks are made with collage paper, newsprint, embroidery floss, and greeting cards.  You can use blank greeting cards or used cards to make your notebook covers, giving you a great way to re-use your latest pile of birthday or holiday greetings.

First, take your greeting card and your collage paper and plot out how youd like to arrange the paper.  Try to cover every bit of the card.  If youre using a used greeting card as your base, make sure that the paper you are using to cover the card is thick enough to hide any pictures or text.  They will look fugly when they show through.

Next, use your favorite paper glue to cover every bit of the card with your collage paper.  I use a glue stick, since I find school glue or mod podge gets my paper too wet (then it warps!).

Carefully trim the cover after it has dried to make sure all of your edges are even.

Measure your card, then cut 15 20 rectangles of blank newsprint in a slighty smaller size than your card.  I would suggest going at least 1/2 inch smaller on all sides.  You can cut these by hand, but if you have a real paper cutter, it will make your pages come out much more evenly.  As you can probably tell, mine were hand cut.

Fold your pages in half and place them inside your cover.

Using your favorite punching tool, poke holes through the center fold of your pages and cover simultaneously.  Im crazy, so I use a dremel with a drill bit.  Ive seen folks use awls, heavy duty paper punches, and a huge variety of other things to poke these holes.  Just choose your favorite and go for it.  Just make sure your holes are all lined up nicely, or stitching it will be a huge pain, maybe even impossible.

Now take some string and thread it onto a nice big sewing needle.  A tapestry needle would be ideal.  I used embroidery floss to bind my notebooks, but you can use any kind of sturdy thread or string.  Some good ideas would be twine, hemp, or very strong yarn.

Stitch through the holes in the book in one direction, like so:

Then, turn around and stitch in the other direction.  While you are going this direction, slip your needle through the next stitch over every chance you get, this will make each stitch more even and secure.  See what I mean?

Tie a knot when you get back to the beginning.

Fold the notebook back down.  It wont want to stay closed very much, so you should press it under something really heavy for a few hours, or maybe even overnight.

All finished!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

railNtrail
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010 01:50:39 PM »

This is so creative and a great way to recycle! If you don't mind me asking where do you find the 'blank newsprint'?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010 01:56:19 PM »

If you don't mind me asking where do you find the 'blank newsprint'?

Not at all! I used sheets of packing paper, but you can also get it in pads at an art store. Artists use it a lot for quick sketching and practice because it is pretty cheap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010 03:32:27 PM »

Ahh thank you so much for this! I keep wanting to make mini-notebooks and needed the inspiration (and tutorial lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010 04:35:18 PM »

Thanks for such a great tutorial! These are really beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010 07:26:03 AM »

They look fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful tutorial. I can't wait to try this out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010 07:28:57 AM »

Great tutorial; thank you!  This is a great way to reuse holiday greeting cards, even if you don't like the pictures on them - I would never have thought of that.

Can I point out one detail?  When punching the holes, there needs to be an odd number, or the stitching won't work right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeybone
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010 03:39:16 AM »

WGat a great idea, looks so easy, and I am always in need of wee notebooks to carry around with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010 08:09:22 AM »

Can I point out one detail?  When punching the holes, there needs to be an odd number, or the stitching won't work right.

Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

librarylover
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010 01:14:06 PM »

I wouldn't have thought of covering the greeting cards with collage paper. Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karaann07
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010 11:07:56 AM »

What an awesome idea! And thank you so much for the detailed tutorial. I especially like the tip about making sure you use heavy enough paper to cover text on used cards so it doesn't look "fugly". LOL These are absolutely gorgeous and so creative. I can't wait to try my hand at some of these. What a fun Christmas gift idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShayBug
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011 10:27:18 AM »

Just goes to show, you can use anything to be inspired! Great Project!

Shay
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011 04:21:19 PM by Phizzychick - Reason: to comply with craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sprinklez
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011 02:39:52 PM »

What a lovely way to reuse old greeting cards! I have a tendency to save them all for papercraft, and then never use them. Thanks so much for the tutorial, this is something I'll definitely be trying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Your First Movie
How to Make Your First Movie: Using Proper Gear
How to Make Your First Movie: Audio
How to Make Your First Movie: Lighting
How to Cast Your First Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...