A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY sewing labels  (Read 6722 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2010 , label  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madebybird
« on: May 10, 2010 06:10:59 PM »

Ack!  My very own “made by bird” labels!  I know I shouldn’t be so excited about such a little thing… but I am.  I really really am.  I’ve been experimenting with labels for a while now, and these are by far my favorite.  I tried the printing on fabric approach (http://allysonhill.typepad.com/allyson_hill/2007/06/make_your_own_l.html) and while I was super impressed with printed fabric in general, I wasn’t crazy about the finished labels.  They were too stiff for my liking and the Fray Chek was still visible once it dried.  On a whim, I tried using iron-on transfer paper and twill tape and it worked soooo much better than I thought it would.  Here are the steps I followed:

1. Design the labels in the program of your choice.  (I actually used PowerPoint for mine.)  Just remember to flip the image before you print.

2. Cut out the label from the transfer paper (I only cut as many as I needed for the gifts so I didn’t have to worry about losing a bunch of tiny little pieces of paper.)

3. Cut as close to the design as possible.

4. Decide how you’re going to attach the label to your item.  If you want a loop (as pictured above), fold the twill tape in half leaving a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch extra so you can sew the label into your seam.  If you want them “flat,” leave a 1/2 inch extra on each side of your label design so you can fold the ends in a 1/4 inch and attach the label to your item using a zig-zag stitch.

5. Transfer the label design to the twill tape (following the instructions that came with your iron-on transfer paper)

6. Here’s the important part: only let the label cool for a few seconds before peel off the backing paper.  I think this really helps reduce the visibility of the film the iron-on paper leaves on your labels.

7. Attach the label to your item as indicated in step 4, and you’re done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafting blog: http://www.madebybird.com
NH822

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010 06:18:39 PM »

I love the look of twill tape!  great idea!  I would be excited too!!!  AND I like your design Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
skeptis
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010 12:00:15 PM »

I want to make my own jewelry tags and business cards using paper punches and a handmade stamp and I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on them-who knew something so simple could be so difficult! Just designing my own logo is a nightmare:)

Anyone who decides to make their own labels soon finds out it's not as simple as it looks - you SHOULD be excited, they look very professional and cute!
My sister is a seamstress - I don't know if she makes her own labels but I'll have to show her this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011 08:53:59 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2010 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2010 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Recipes: What To Do With All Those Thanksgiving Leftovers
Leftover Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Inspired Leftover Ideas
Easy And Delicious Thanksgiving Side Dishes
How to Make a Thanksgiving Feast for Under $50
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...