A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,972
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Where you do it  (Read 42860 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2005 04:01:00 AM »

I have to say, I love Craftster. Where else could the most heated discussion of the day focus, not on politics or power games, but on the ettiquette of knitting in class? Wonderful. Whatever your position on this topic is, just take a moment to appreciate the very existence of this discussion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
alligatorjuice
overworked, unappreciated and undercooked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2005 09:17:02 AM »

i started knitting in class my last couple of semesters (just graduated with my second bachelor's in may). i was taking anthropology, and mostly lecture classes.

the best times to knit in class are when the professor is lecturing, but there isn't really much in the way of notes, when the professor shows a film, during group discussion, and during presentations by classmates where you don't have to take notes. but, you should always show that you're paying more attention to the class than your knitting.

also, always use short needles, or use point protectors to make your dpn's into short straight needles. this goes along with not working on large projects in class.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting is something i do when life doesn't present me enough ways to dye my hands funny colors.
gloriana
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2005 03:18:14 AM »

This is an interesting discussion.  I'm a professor who's also a knitter, and this thread has led me to ask what I would do if a student were knitting during my class.  I haven't had this happen yet - although I myself knit one time during class while I was showing a film (I sat in the back of the class and guiltily hid my project under the desk, and I felt so weird about it that I haven't done it since).  Since I only teach relatively small (30-40 students) discussion-based classes, I don't think I'd like knitting to be going on while I teach.  I don't lecture much - we're mostly discussing literary texts like Shakespeare.  I not only encourage my students to take notes, but they get graded for participation.  I certainly think it's possible to knit *and* actively contribute to class discussion, but it's probably pretty difficult.  But I guess if someone came to me and said they needed to knit for medical reasons, or because it helps them pay attention, I would probably say it's okay.  I'd agree with all the guidelines that others have suggested - and also, of course, it depends on the context and the type of class.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005 02:45:17 PM by gloriana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
hankpiece
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2005 11:37:21 AM »

One thing that was mentioned here by the anti-knitting in class side and never acknowledged is that one's knitting affects more than just the professor. Would you be willing to stop if it made somebody sitting next to you or even a couple of rows down uncomfortable or distracted? Even wood needles make some clicky noise. If somebody asked you to stop, or even just looked at you uncomfortably a bunch of times, would you be considerate? There's anywhere between 20 and 500 kids in a classroom depending on the school you go to and which class. Which ones are you making the class harder for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alerievay
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2005 12:44:41 PM »

One thing that was mentioned here by the anti-knitting in class side and never acknowledged is that one's knitting affects more than just the professor. Would you be willing to stop if it made somebody sitting next to you or even a couple of rows down uncomfortable or distracted? Even wood needles make some clicky noise. If somebody asked you to stop, or even just looked at you uncomfortably a bunch of times, would you be considerate? There's anywhere between 20 and 500 kids in a classroom depending on the school you go to and which class. Which ones are you making the class harder for?

As a recent college and law student, I completely agree with this.  I remember the woman in law school who sat one row below me and watched DVDs (with the sound off) on her laptop during class.  I can't begin to describe how distracting seeing a movie playing on her screen was for me!  But I felt uncomfortable asking her to stop.  Knitting would be the same way.  Some people will be distracted by your knitting and yet may not be comfortable asking you to stop.  While you may not appreciate the class or feel like you need to put a lot of effort into taking notes, your distracted classmates may need to give every ounce of their concentration to the professor's lectures in order to do well or even pass. 

Just consider that a class that is completely unimportant to you may be vitally important to someone else, and you may be interfering with that. 

And I would say the same thing to newspaper reading, loud eating, and other distracting activities that other people have mentioned.  I'd love to knit all the time, but it just isn't possible or polite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mathgirl
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2005 12:57:39 PM »

As a recent college and law student, I completely agree with this.  I remember the woman in law school who sat one row below me and watched DVDs (with the sound off) on her laptop during class.  I can't begin to describe how distracting seeing a movie playing on her screen was for me!  But I felt uncomfortable asking her to stop.  Knitting would be the same way.  Some people will be distracted by your knitting and yet may not be comfortable asking you to stop.  While you may not appreciate the class or feel like you need to put a lot of effort into taking notes, your distracted classmates may need to give every ounce of their concentration to the professor's lectures in order to do well or even pass. 

Just consider that a class that is completely unimportant to you may be vitally important to someone else, and you may be interfering with that. 

And I would say the same thing to newspaper reading, loud eating, and other distracting activities that other people have mentioned.  I'd love to knit all the time, but it just isn't possible or polite.

As a former college instructor I agree 100% with the "don't knit in class" camp...They issue never came up in the two years I taught but if it did I wouldn't allow knitting in my class becuase it might distract others, and me trying to lecture. If other people are curious about what you are doing they are likely to watch you. I was always distracted by kids doing other stuff and would stop talking until they cut it out. The big thing that bugged me was text messaging. If you need to do something else, try something that at least looks like you are taking notes like crosswords or sudoku (love those!) And I'm not trying to be judgemental, because I've been there...I was the queen of crosswords!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2005 09:05:32 PM »

Sing it.

Another thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is this: would you ever sit there and knit in front of your boss during a business meeting? If I sat there knitting while my colleagues and I were discussing the next big fundraising effort for foster care programs, all the while nodding and saying, "yep, I think Jane's plan would work if we can get so-so in Special Events to negotiate for a lower-priced caterer and we get some of social workers to collect and present case studies.... Huh? Don't worry, I'm paying attention, I can focus better this way..." exactly how fired do you think I'd get?

There's one word for that kind of behavior, and that is unprofessional. There is a good chance that ppl. at the same level in my office would be too uncomfortable to say anything about my knitting. Everyone would have to sit there waiting for my boss to say something, and my boss would be fuming and wondering if she'd actually have to tell me to put the knitting away. My boss would be beyond mortified if she had to point out that my behavior was inappropriate for the very reason that it is so egregiously so. Hence, I think it's extremely likely that someone who knits in class can very well be annoying/distracting/shocking their classmates *and* the professor, even if no one says anything.

I realize that the front page of this site proudly announces itself as a place for hipsters, that most of its partcipants are 25 and under, and that many of the older members also live and work in academe in some capacity, but I don't think I'm stretching the work/school analogy. When I was a student, studying was my *job*.  I'd no more whip out my needles in class than I would do so in front of my boss and coworkers, and I do mean boss and coworkers.

Again, at the risk of sounding like an old fart: the world just does not work that way, not even school. My college film prof. told us that one semester he was lecturing and then looked down at the front row of class to find a kid playing with a Mr. Potato Head, and he was so floored he actually stopped lecturing and left the room for a few minutes. He was not praising this as some kind of rilly, rilly cool, rilly transgressive performance art. Trust me. Knitting is less odd an activity for college kids than the 'Head, but how is it - really? - any less appropriate? You're still "playing" openly in class. This professor had to go back into the room, stop, and reprimand the student. BIG distraction. BIG no-no.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
Coffee Bean
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2005 01:15:23 PM »

Knitting in class is always rude. If you have to create a long list of specific guidelines so as to make the act acceptable then its probably not justifiable. Anyway, why does most everyone keep suggesting that getting the professor's permission is the bottom line, why don't you ask your fellow classmates/tuition payers for their opinion? Your dollar is no more valuable than theirs and believe me your stitching is distracting someone.

Also, I do knit at school - between classes!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silencepainter
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2005 03:45:26 PM »

I'm am a bit on the fence about this however I over all hold its rude.

There have been two occasions in which I didn't percieve it as such.

1st case wasn't knitting but crochet: A small class that consisted of students that all knew each other very well (think small department, small class and only students in that department were in that class).  This was a class that was often playful and off topic anyway.  It was relaxed and laid back.  It was team taught, and one of the professors could be extremly distracting.  He'd write funny comments on pieces of paper in big type and hold it up, these didn't always have anything to do with class.  So during the more goofy lets argue fazes, she would crochet some, but when it got more serious and on track she'd go back to notes.

2nd case: Ochestra.  Wait...you can knit in orchestra??? This is a place I'd never think to say it was okay to knit.  But the conductor was having to take time out to focus on ONE section of the group, and having to take a lot of time that day.  Having to take a bunch of time to focus on one section is generally a no-no, and normally the section would be told to work on it seperatly but in this case it had to be done.  So she knitted, as there was nothing else for her to do.  No notes to take, no playing, etc.

Other than that... and other special cases....  Its rude.  If the professor doesn't find it rude another student probably does.  I know watching someone knit or crochet fascinates me, I'd be extremly distracted. 

If you pay attention or partial attention, are fully engaged in class or not is not the issue.  If you are such things are your choice.  The issue is is if your choice is adversly effecting others ability to do what they need/want to do in that class.   

Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hankpiece
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2005 07:01:54 PM »

Having played double bass in an orchestra, I would not think that it was a good idea. But then again I used to flirt with the trombonist, a cute Japanese girl. But let's put it this way: the trumpet section has two reputations A) the section that pays the least attention and B) the most annoying section. Do you really want to be like a trumpet player?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perspective Drawing in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Draw Behind and Inside Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Use the Bristle Brush in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Creating the Tilt-Shift Lens Effect in Photoshop CS6
Working With Blur Filters in Photoshop CS6
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...