A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting in Public: Where you do it  (Read 40354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2005 08:09:49 AM »

No prof has ever minded for me, I just try to convey as I am knitting that I am really paying attention, so the prof knows I am involved. I haven't knit...or had a class to knit in for years but I better find a simple project because next semester I will have a class that is three hours long on Friday morning, which just sounds unbearable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
hankpiece
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2005 08:23:38 AM »

I don't feel comfortable knitting in class. I'll go right up until he is ready to start, and finish my row and wait for class break to start again. Knitting is great for it's portability, but you wouldn't do most other hobbies in a classroom, so I fail to see why this one is any different. It's like telling the professor "Fuck you."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickenlady
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2005 01:19:10 AM »

I am also on the "it's rude" side of the fence.....

when I was a student it would have been a definate no-no to knit in a lecture/class....  not sure if that is because I am in the UK, and at an english university it would just not have been the done thing - even in a seminar where no notes needed to be taken it would have been very much frowned on - and probably looked on asif you were not paying attention to the proceedings....  and in a lecture you were expected to take notes

OK as a knitter myself I know that it is perfectly possible to disengage your hands from your brain and actually pay attention to someone else while your hands are busy knitting, but a lot of people don't knit, and they would see it as you not giving your full attention to the person actually doing the teaching......

but that is just the way that I see it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2005 01:31:24 AM »

I knit in large classes & meetings, but not if I think it's going to give the wrong impression (that being that I'm not paying attention). In smaller classes, people get the wrong idea, so I don't do it.

I even knit in classes where I'm the TA! I don't need to take notes, and I'm clearly paying attention (don't have to look at my hands while I knit, for one thing).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
hankpiece
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2005 08:52:08 AM »

It's just a sign of the times. There was a time when people respected their professors. Now they don't. If somebody can't be bothered to put their knitting project aside for a couple of hours, it doesn't say a lot about their respect for the professor or the class. That's why it's rude.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2005 09:19:18 AM »

That's why you think it's rude.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2005 09:22:01 AM »

I can certainly see why knitting in class could be considered rude --- which is why I only ever did it in certain instances. I don't think that it's necessarily rude, though. The context is extremely important. With the professor's permission, with the acceptance of my classmates, and with my own active participation in the class, I made sure that the knitting was never a big issue. I'm a very tactile person, with a lot of nervous energy to get rid of; if I hadn't been knitting, I would have been fiddling with something else. Engaging my hands actually helps me engage my brain...

And the proof, as they say, is in the pudding: the highest marks in my undergraduate career were from the classes in which I knit. In fact, in my theory of anthropology seminar, I wrote an exam on Geertzian thick descrption entirely using knitting as my example --- basically, exploring the complex layers of what-do-you-think-I-think-you-think-I-think-I'm doing, and so on. I got a 98%... (This was for the same professor who remembers when all his female classmates, and later students, knit in class. I was riffing on a feminist-renegotiation-of-femininity theme.)

I'm not trying to start a fight. Just trying to explain that what's inappropriate in one situation may still be welcomed in another!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2005 09:25:21 AM »

It's just a sign of the times. There was a time when people respected their professors. Now they don't. If somebody can't be bothered to put their knitting project aside for a couple of hours, it doesn't say a lot about their respect for the professor or the class. That's why it's rude.

wow, we're quite the judgementalist, aren't we?  how very respectful you are of the variety of people, places and situations.  bravo!

heaven forbid that i found a non-chemical way to battle my narcoleptic tendencies.  i know my professors in college *much* preferred me sleeping in their classes, you're absolutely right.  there are absolutely, without question, NO situations in which knitting in class could possibly not be considered the rudest gesture a person could make towards their professor.

what on earth is the world coming to?  murders, rapes, kidnappings, pedophilia, rampant drug use & hedonism...it all points back to knitting in class. for SHAME!
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
fadeawaydream
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2005 09:39:23 AM »

Yeesh, I detect a catfight.

Anyhow, I worked on a few macrame projects during classes last semester and during the summer, and my teachers didn't seem to mind. I still participated in discussion and asked questions, so they knew that I was paying attention. And I have been wont to doze off in those classes (something about sitting in a lecture class for two hours makes me incredibly sleepy), so I'm sure they preferred the macrame. I'm actually quite sad that I don't have the kind of classes I can knit in next semester (snooty professors thinking their classes are the most important thing in my life, hmmph), but you pretty much just have to play it by ear.

I say definitely go for it in larger classes and feel the teacher out in the smaller classes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2005 09:52:56 AM »

Yeesh, I detect a catfight.

*puts claws away*

sorry, i'm just a bit sensitive about it.  for some reason, in large meetings and lecture halls, i promptly fall asleep. (i don't have this problem in smaller, more intimate meetings or classes, so those aren't an issue)  i spent several years chasing various methods of combating it, seeing doctors, developing a 5 cup a day coffee habit, even trying amphetamines.  nothing worked....except knitting, which not only kept me awake, but actually helped me to do better in class.  so i take a little offense at the suggestion that to do such a thing is "a sign of the times" and that it indicates that i have no respect for my professor or the education that he or she is trying to give to me, quite the opposite. (an education that, by the way, i paid through the nose to obtain, justifying my use of any means possible to actually get my money's worth.)

eh. anyway. that's my final two cents. =]
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
4 Styling Tips for Thinning Hair
Does It Work: Air Curler
How to Create Retro Hairstyles
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Hollywood Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...